A new look for Norwegian Joy in 2024

LJRat

NCL states“A new look for Norwegian Joy in 2024 with many new spaces, NEW Thermal Suite, Expanded Vibe Beach Club & Larger Accommodations So, come aboard in 2024 and experience a whole new level of Joy!

I booked it for Sep 2,2024 do you think it will be done by then?  

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

parts of the observation lounge is being removed to add in new cabins

This is what I don't want to see happen.  The beautiful Observation Lounge was my favorite place on the ship to relax and watch the sea.  The four of us ate breakfast there most mornings.  The lounge should not be partially taken over by cabins.  NO NO NO.

And another thing they should consider, the limited amount of elevators were always overcrowded when trying to leave deck 15. Housing more passengers in that area would only increase that problem.  Another bank of elevators should be included in the renovation.  Also, the main swimming pool is already too small, for the amount of passengers that were on our cruise.  That should be rebuilt and greatly enlarged.

A dedicated movie room  with stadium seats would be a nice addition.  When they show films in the Atrium, noise from passersby can be distracting.  Royal Caribbean has media room on their ships, where movie goers can watch films in peace.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

This is what I don't want to see happen.  The beautiful Observation Lounge was my favorite place on the ship to relax and watch the sea.  The four of us ate breakfast there most mornings.  The lounge should not be partially taken over by cabins.  NO NO NO.

And another thing they should consider, the limited amount of elevators were always overcrowded when trying to leave deck 15. Housing more passengers in that area would only increase that problem.  Another bank of elevators should be included in the renovation.  Also, the main swimming pool is already too small, for the amount of passengers that were on our cruise.  That should be rebuilt and greatly enlarged.

A dedicated movie room  with stadium seats would be a nice addition.  When they show films in the Atrium, noise from passersby can be distracting.  Royal Caribbean has media room on their ships, where movie goers can watch films in peace.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Those would be nice but space on a ship is limited.   Increasing the size of a venue is a zero-sum game, so what do you want to give up to add space to these venues?

1 hour ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

Another bank of elevators should be included in the renovation.  Also, the main swimming pool is already too small, for the amount of passengers that were on our cruise.  That should be rebuilt and greatly enlarged.

NCL already dropped an extra $50,000,000 on Joy when bringing the ship from the Asian market to North America. Adding what you suggest would cost even more. 

3 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

And another thing they should consider, the limited amount of elevators were always overcrowded when trying to leave deck 15. Housing more passengers in that area would only increase that problem.  Another bank of elevators should be included in the renovation.

Adding a new elevator bank probably isn't practical, but switching to a destination dispatch system (selecting your floor instead of the up/down buttons, and going to a designated car) would make the elevators a lot more efficient, putting an end to those trips that stop an every floor.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AndyCapn said:

Adding a new elevator bank probably isn't practical, but switching to a destination dispatch system (selecting your floor instead of the up/down buttons, and going to a designated car) would make the elevators a lot more efficient, putting an end to those trips that stop an every floor.

i have been on ships with that kind of system, people will still press the wrong floor or press all of the buttons making the elevator stop at every floor 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 7:15 AM, shof515 said:

parts of the observation lounge is being removed to add in new cabins

The one scary thing is, I always book a cabin on the starboard side of the ship, on deck 15 on the Joy. I have had my reservation for mid Sept. 2024 for 5 months now. In the last month NCL has removed my cabin number from my vacation summary. Will I still have that cabin and the short walk to the OB lounge, or are they planning to switch me to another deck after finally payment. I can not get an answer from NCL as why my cabin number was removed. Has this happened to anyone else on deck 15 reservations after dry dock?

57 minutes ago, Topdog52 said:

The one scary thing is, I always book a cabin on the starboard side of the ship, on deck 15 on the Joy. I have had my reservation for mid Sept. 2024 for 5 months now. In the last month NCL has removed my cabin number from my vacation summary. Will I still have that cabin and the short walk to the OB lounge, or are they planning to switch me to another deck after finally payment. I can not get an answer from NCL as why my cabin number was removed. Has this happened to anyone else on deck 15 reservations after dry dock?

What’s the cabin number/category?

On 10/16/2023 at 2:18 PM, shof515 said:

i have been on ships with that kind of system, people will still press the wrong floor or press all of the buttons making the elevator stop at every floor 

It’s hard to believe that many people have no clue how elevators work, even not knowing what direction to press to get to their destination. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

We had five club balcony suites booked on portside deck 15 since February 2022.   Then this past July we received notification of them all being moved to another deck.   I had to have my PCC re-assign them to another location as I was not thrilled where they re-assigned them .   Still not too thrilled, but I know I will be happy once we are on board.   This is for our June 2024 cruise.

Edited by vacation44
More information
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

It’s hard to believe that many people have no clue how elevators work, even not knowing what direction to press to get to their destination. 

My favorites are those who get on our elevator going up and ask those already on the elevator if it's going up.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 11:23 AM, Two Wheels Only said:

NCL already dropped an extra $50,000,000 on Joy when bringing the ship from the Asian market to North America. Adding what you suggest would cost even more. 

I sailed on one of the first cruises on the Joy after they finished that project. Funny it didn’t sail in Asia long either. 

5 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

My favorites are those who get on our elevator going up and ask those already on the elevator if it's going up.

It is the people who stand at the elevator door when entering, blocking everyone else trying to get on, because they want to push the button themselves rather than just asking that their floor be pushed. 

That sounds like a Smart Elevator.  I just cruised on Carnival with one of those. Not a fan. It took a few days for people to get the hang of it (despite the video screen with instructions being told to them), and they still told people "Oh there's plenty of room! Come on in!". We ended up taking stairs all the time. My arthritic knee wasn't really happy, but my scale looked pretty good when we got home!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, vacation44 said:

We had five club balcony suites booked on portside deck 15 since February 2022.   Then this past July we received notification of them all being moved to another deck.   I had to have my PCC re-assign them to another location as I was not thrilled where they re-assigned them .   Still not too thrilled, but I know I will be happy once we are on board.   This is for our June 2024 cruise.

That is the problem, NCL doesn't care. Maybe they need to put you in the Haven for their mistake and then we will see who is not thrilled!! What I don't understand is if they are putting in 24 new rooms, why would you have to move? 

4 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

That is the problem, NCL doesn't care. Maybe they need to put you in the Haven for their mistake and then we will see who is not thrilled!! What I don't understand is if they are putting in 24 new rooms, why would you have to move? 

When I inquired, I was told the cabins were no longer available.  However, they showed up on the website as available for a while which was frustrating.