Afternoon Tea on the Riviera, New Experience for a Seasoned Cruiser

Sthrngary

Everyday, I do a search on YouTube.com for NEW video's for Oceania Cruises.  Rarely are they posted but every now and again, one comes up.  The one I am referring to is about Afternoon Tea on the Riviera.  It seems on this video, the afternoon tea had a theme.  One was "cheese cake" and the other was "cupcakes".  Two things I truly enjoy, rarely allow myself to have because I am allergy to them both.  When I have either cheese cake of cupcakes they make my body swell better know as I gain weight.  So I save those treats for special occasions like going on a cruise. 

"There is cheating on a diet and then there is Cheese Cake!!"

I had no idea that the teas could or would have a themes and love the idea.  Yet the video showed you still could have the famous sandwiches' where the crust was cut off.  Afternoon tea is new to me so it is not critical to my experience.  It is a novelty. I hope to enjoy my first afternoon tea early on in my cruise. Who knows, I might get hooked on the event.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, JoePDX said:

If they have the BLT finger sandwich, it is not to be missed.   Tea on an Oceania is truly a special experience.

Joe

Another no-to-be-missed offering is scones, clotted cream, and jam -- hey, what's "afternoon tea" without it?.

On Regatta last March, you had to know to ask for it because the cart doesn't keep the clotted cream chilled.

• Like 4

I really enjoyed the afternoon tea experience on Oceania. I’m glad to hear that regular tea items are available even during the specialty teas—frankly, when I have tea I want the traditional finger sandwiches and the scones with clotted cream and jam.

I can get cheese cake or cupcakes many other places. Scones and clotted cream, not so much.

• Like 9

We loved the afternoon tea on Oceania. The only thing we didn't like was that the wait staff seemed exasperated that we asked what things were. It would have been much more convenient it they had brought the cart over, explained what was available and asked what we would like. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

We loved the afternoon tea on Oceania. The only thing we didn't like was that the wait staff seemed exasperated that we asked what things were. It would have been much more convenient it they had brought the cart over, explained what was available and asked what we would like. 

Or have little menu cards at the tables or at the entrance/on the cart.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

We recently sailed for the first time on O Regatta.  We went to afternoon tea on several days and each time they brought the cart over and explained what each item was.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, patty1955 said:

Depends on the individual servers.  On Regatta last Month, all servers always described what was on offer.  Each ship seems to have slightly differences in food presentation, quality, taste, personnel, etc.  Really depends on the exec chef and competence of the culinary team.

For example, I saw saw Dr. Koob's croque monsieur...looked absolutely delicious. Ordered it on Regatta, it was all bread, thin slice of ham, hardly any cheese, no mornay sauce. Very disappointing. Was really looking forward to it, as I had it on Insignia on a prior cruise; then, it was properly prepared and exceptional. Even mentioned it to dining room manager, who said he would report it to chef.

My top tip for those wanting to go full UK and go for black tea (English Breakfast, Assam, Darjeeling etc) insist on boiling water into a warmed pot (ok maybe warmed pot will be stretching their patience)!!! This is a tough ask on an all cruise ships as coffee is made with water slightly below boiling and other tea such as green require lower temp. Staff usually having a bubbling samovar nearby as they are used to UK tea drinkers requests for boiling water. 

On my last Oceania cruise, I requested boiling water to be made available for making tea and a Samovar was there at Horizons for early morning and in the buffet at breakfast to ensure that essential piping hot brew. If you opt for the tepid water what results is muddy dirty tasting drink that will make you wonder what was that Boston Tea Party all about!!!! 🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇺🇸🇬🇧

Edited by tine-tine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, tine-tine said:

On my last Oceania cruise, I requested boiling water to be made available for making tea and a Samovar was there at Horizons for early morning and in the buffet at breakfast to ensure that essential piping hot brew. If you opt for the tepid water what results is muddy dirty tasting drink that will make you wonder what was that Boston Tea Party all about!!!! 🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🇺🇸🇬🇧

Since most of the people put their one teabag into the pot on the table, I doubt they would taste a difference.

To each their own. Did it once on my 20 nights so far. Do NOT plan to on the upcoming 20 nights on Riviera. Sugary items in the late afternoon aren't my cup 'o tea (pun intended, of course!). Tend to spoil my appetite. (I also have to be careful about Waves in the mid-afternoon, too!) And I was disappointed in the limited selection of tea. Had hope for some variety. My favorite being Russian caravan. Prefer strong black tea. But it is a nice treat for those who do enjoy such things.

Scones come with strawberry jam. Should you prefer something else there is great variety at breakfast in Terraces in little jars so you could bring your own.

Afternoon tea is very civilized and I really enjoy the European style goodies as not so sweet as the cupcakes and cheesecakes. (originally fom Sweden)

Hardest part is to refrain from ruining your appetite for dinner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cswhistler said:

Hardest part is to refrain from ruining your appetite for dinner

The solution for that is the inverse of why afternoon tea was invented in the first place: 19th Century upper-class English evening meal was around 8pm.

Plenty of 2-tops aboard at 8pm, too  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/17/2023 at 2:35 PM, Snaefell3 said:

Another no-to-be-missed offering is scones, clotted cream, and jam -- hey, what's "afternoon tea" without it?.

On Regatta last March, you had to know to ask for it because the cart doesn't keep the clotted cream chilled.

Good to know.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2023 at 12:52 AM, Snaefell3 said:

After seven months?  😉 

1 hour ago, FeelingCruisy said:

Been on the marina for 3 days now.  Wasn't aware there was an afternoon tea.   Does it happen daily? Where & when?

You need to look at Currents - the daily goings-on newspaper you get on your bed at night.  it gives the times of tea.  Usually at 1600 in Horizons.  And WELL worth going to.

• Thanks 1