Seasickness meds

cruisin73

I used the patch once and it affected me so badly, heart racing and agitation,  that I took it off before I even got on the plane to travel to the ship.  Bonine has been the best for me and many others.  Not a fan of Scopolamine which is what's in patches.

Edited by torpeedo
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

If you are using something that works, why would you switch to something else? I also think a pill once a day would be easier than messing with a patch.

I know!!  I’m always open to new ideas but Bonine does work well for me.  Someone told me it was better then Bonine because it doesn’t make you sleepy.  I’m not 100% sure though if I’m tired from Bonine or from just staying up late and getting up early.  

• Like 1

I am generally not affected by motion sickness but don't rule out the possibility.  However, my question for those in the know is, is Bonine a preventative or does it help after the onset of motion sickness?  I really don't like taking ANY medication or OTC stuff unless needed.  

Edited by Ret MP

24 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I am generally not affected by motion sickness but don't rule out the possibility.  However, my question for those in the know is, is Bonine a preventative or does it help after the onset of motion sickness?  I really don't like taking ANY medication or OTC stuff unless needed.  

Bonine really works both ways.  I took it after I was starting to feel the effects of the motion and within 30 min I was fine but lately I’ve taken it the night before we fly or leave for the ship and that works well too.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisin73 said:

I know!!  I’m always open to new ideas but Bonine does work well for me.  Someone told me it was better then Bonine because it doesn’t make you sleepy.  I’m not 100% sure though if I’m tired from Bonine or from just staying up late and getting up early.  

Bonine is supposed to be non-drowsy. My wife used to take dramamine but it always made her tired. She heard bonine is non-drowsy and she uses that now without ever getting tired.

• Like 1

I am prone to motion sickness, so take a bonine once per day whether I need it or not. Figure better safe than sorry. Does not make me drowsy. Since this works pretty well, I wouldn't switch to something else.

• Like 2

I take Bonine starting the day before we sail and I have never had an issue with seasickness.  I have gotten sick on ferries and on a Pirate Ship tour before we started cruising, so don't want to find out if it would happen on cruise.  I take Bonine at night just to be sure I won't be drowsy during the day.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cruisin73 said:

Says right on the package "Non Drowsy ". Would a pharmaceutical company ever lie ? 😏

Stick with what u have

5 hours ago, cruisin73 said:

I have always taken Bonine with no problem however someone introduced 

Me to this patch.  Has anyone tried it?  I’m a little skeptical but open to trying something new.  IMG_7769.thumb.jpeg.3537fbef86db1c9d9320fce73816f59d.jpeg

My husband used to get seasick until he tried "sea bands". They use a pressure point on your wrist. No medicine. Get them at Walmart. They are wonderful. He even showers with them, goes in pool.

We keep a couple pairs with us on a cruise. Have even given some away to strangers and thanked days later for saving their vacation. Try them. Good luck. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

If you are using something that works, why would you switch to something else? I also think a pill once a day would be easier than messing with a patch.

my wife used to use the patch and always told me that she never gets sick. I asked her, " how do you know you wouldn't be OK without it"? She finally gave in and tried a cruise without the patch and has never looked back.

We just came back from 2 cruises that were rocking and rolling and she came through unscathed.

1 hour ago, FlGoodShips said:

My husband used to get seasick until he tried "sea bands". They use a pressure point on your wrist. No medicine. Get them at Walmart. They are wonderful. He even showers with them, goes in pool.

We keep a couple pairs with us on a cruise. Have even given some away to strangers and thanked days later for saving their vacation. Try them. Good luck. 

My wife has great success with the bands .They did not work for me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cruisin73 said:

Me to this patch.  Has anyone tried it?  I’m a little skeptical but open to trying something new.  IMG_7769.thumb.jpeg.3537fbef86db1c9d9320fce73816f59d.jpeg

On their advertisement they claim to be MEZCALINE free, whereas BONINE and DRAMAMINE are NOT?

This is very sketchy/ What is MEZCALINE? 

It is NOT MECLIZINE (Bonine or non-drowsy dramamine)

and it is not MESCALINE a psychedelic protoalkaloid drug that produces hallucinations.

Obviously they haven't a clue as to reality so why would ANYONE rely on their ridiculous advertisement for what might be what was called back in the day "SNAKE OIL".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Of course for potential seasickness, I asked the wife if I could bring Ginger on a cruise. I can’t print her answer. 

If she won't let you bring Ginger, maybe she'll let you bring Mary Ann.

Edited by cruiseguy1016
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, torpeedo said:

I used the patch once and it affected me so badly, heart racing and agitation,  that I took it off before I even got on the plane to travel to the ship.  Bonine has been the best for me and many others.  Not a fan of Scopolamine which is what's in patches.

I wouldn't use this--I don't trust the contents.  This patch is not scopolamine--that is only available by prescription.  I have been using the prescription patch (Transderm Scop) for decades and it really works to manage my serious motion sickness.  It does have side effects (for me blurry vision and dry mouth), and it is medically contraindicated if you have certain medical conditions.

That being said, if the Bonine works, then no need to try anything else, in my opinion. 

Teddie

Edited by teddie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

On their advertisement they claim to be MEZCALINE free, whereas BONINE and DRAMAMINE are NOT?

and it is not MESCALINE a psychedelic protoalkaloid drug that produces hallucinations.

Obviously they haven't a clue as to reality so why would ANYONE rely on their ridiculous advertisement for what might be what was called back in the day "SNAKE OIL".

For goodness sakes--it's MECLIZINE and that it is a prescription drug which has been safely used medically for ages for dizziness, vertigo, and nausea. Meclizine is typically prescribed at 25 mg.  Over the counter, one Bonine tab is 12.5 mg of Meclizine.

Teddie

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boscobeans said:

Yes, their advert is “interesting”…

IMG_4442.jpeg

23 hours ago, cruisin73 said:

Looks like a total scam

Pretty sure it is garbage