Favourite Royal Caribbean Embarcation Port

Okay, I had some idle time and was thinking of embarcation ports and which is my favourite.  For DW and I, it’s a tough choice between two: Barcelona and Istanbul.  Both are amazingly walkable cities with the heart of the cities within easy walking distance from port.  Both have tremendous architecture to enjoy as you walk about.  Both have amazing cuisine to enjoy with family and friends.  Both have vibrant market areas that you can get lost in for hours.  Both are packed with history. Both have pleasant climates where you can enjoy the cities year round.  And, both have amazing people who are welcoming.  So, what are you favourite embarcation ports and why?

On 11/2/2023 at 4:49 PM, Airbear232 said:

Okay, I had some idle time and was thinking of embarcation ports and which is my favourite.  For DW and I, it’s a tough choice between two: Barcelona and Istanbul.  Both are amazingly walkable cities with the heart of the cities within easy walking distance from port.  Both have tremendous architecture to enjoy as you walk about.  Both have amazing cuisine to enjoy with family and friends.  Both have vibrant market areas that you can get lost in for hours.  Both are packed with history. Both have pleasant climates where you can enjoy the cities year round.  And, both have amazing people who are welcoming.  So, what are you favourite embarcation ports and why?

Which dock are you referring to in Barcelona? North at WTC is no longer in use and it’s now a 30 minute shuttle from the port to the city centre. 

Port Canaveral is our "home port" and certainly one of the easiest for boarding processing due to a great staff. Parking or being dropped off and baggage processing is excellent. Tampa is also very nice for the same reasons. There are several nice hotels in the Bay area when we decide to stay over the night before embarkation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dubai, right in the city, close to the airport, very well run and easy for embarkation. Also a great place for a pre or post cruise stay.

Also Southampton as it's the only one we can drive to, always nice to not have to worry about how much I can pack.

9 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Which dock are you referring to in Barcelona? North at WTC is no longer in use and it’s now a 30 minute shuttle from the port to the city centre. 

It is not a 30 min shuttle! It’s 10 mins at most. 
RCI never used WTC - Azamara and Virgin do. 

From plane touch down to walking on board in Barcelona: 45 mins is the quickest I’ve ever done it!! 

Agree about Dubai too - fabulous port - shame RCI have abandoned the area.

Edited by little britain

7 hours ago, Scotty G said:

Port Canaveral is our "home port" and certainly one of the easiest for boarding processing due to a great staff. Parking or being dropped off and baggage processing is excellent. Tampa is also very nice for the same reasons. There are several nice hotels in the Bay area when we decide to stay over the night before embarkation. 

The only drawback, it's over an hour from the airport.

2 hours ago, little britain said:

It is not a 30 min shuttle! It’s 10 mins at most. 
RCI never used WTC - Azamara and Virgin do. 

From plane touch down to walking on board in Barcelona: 45 mins is the quickest I’ve ever done it!! 

Agree about Dubai too - fabulous port - shame RCI have abandoned the area.

Good to know. I’ll be there in a few weeks. The reports all say a 30 minute shuttle but I would be very happy if they are wrong.

I live in Florida and mainly cruise out of Florida ports. By far the most efficient place for embarkation is Terminal A at Port Miami. As long as you show up during your designated arrival window you literally keep moving from the time you arrive at the terminal until you are on the ship. On the other hand, there are always relatively long lines at Port Canaveral no matter what terminal RCI is using. In the last year I have cruised on Wonder 3 times, Harmony 1 time, Mariner 2 times and Independence 5 times. For every cruise we waited in line(s) for 30-45 minutes before boarding the ship.