Ship Libraries - going, going, soon gone!

cellfree

I don't expect it all to myself, but a room with like minded people who would like quiet, or need to work or study would be nice.

If not, no big deal I'm not going to switch lines because of it or be upset. It is what it is. The space is available, all they need to do is not turn the music up so loud in an empty room. 

I did book and sail Cunard. It was a bit TOO quiet 🤣. Lovely cruise though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, five. said:

Yep. On one of these sort of posts I had posted all the things I enjoy. Chief among them peace and quiet and someone else posted "maybe you should look somewhere else besides Carnival." And it got me to thinking, "yep, maybe it's time to move on." And even the wife and I were talking on one of the ships or maybe it was after watching a video and she was like "Carnival is the same as always, you're the one that went and changed. They've always been the party ships."

So it's something to be aware of. If you're not happy on Carnival and you seek peace and tranquility there might be other lines that are more suited to your tastes.

I don't think Carnival is the same as always, personally. The level of service used to be much better on Carnival, even though they've always been "The Fun Ships".

But yes there are cruise lines for everyone.

And even if you stay with Carnival, you'll have better luck finding quiet places to relax on say an 8-day cruise in May versus a 3-day weekend cruise in July.

9 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I don't think Carnival is the same as always, personally. The level of service used to be much better on Carnival, even though they've always been "The Fun Ships".

But yes there are cruise lines for everyone.

And even if you stay with Carnival, you'll have better luck finding quiet places to relax on say an 8-day cruise in May versus a 3-day weekend cruise in July.

I'm on the Magic RIGHT NOW,  my first Carnival cruise in over 3 years, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of things that are as good or better than I remember them. This includes some of the service. But maybe I just got lucky. 🤪

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I'm on the Magic RIGHT NOW,  my first Carnival cruise in over 3 years, and I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of things that are as good or better than I remember them. This includes some of the service. But maybe I just got lucky. 🤪

To keep the thread on topic, the Magic still has a library - a rather nice, cozy one.

• Like 1

I guess libraries don't generate enough revenue, I remember the Breeze had a self service wine station in theirs that no one seemed to use but most seem to have no way of generating revenue short of being something folks like, I don't think anyone will choose not to book because of no library but I will miss them if they go

Edited by CoW mAn

These days it's all about revenue generation. And that's not necessarily a bad thing for those of us that cruise a lot and benefit from other people spending money so fares might remain reasonable. I'd guess the percentage of income that comes directly from cruise fares has come down significantly over the decades.

Anyway, this kind of philosophy extends beyond the library. One can go to Alaska and view the glaciers from a beautiful and open top deck. Or one can go to Alaska and look at the go kart track up there. Just know what you want and book accordingly.

3 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

I don't expect it all to myself, but a room with like minded people who would like quiet, or need to work or study would be nice.

If not, no big deal I'm not going to switch lines because of it or be upset. It is what it is. The space is available, all they need to do is not turn the music up so loud in an empty room. 

I did book and sail Cunard. It was a bit TOO quiet 🤣. Lovely cruise though.

Exactly!  Just turn off the music in one of the empty public spaces and designate it a "quiet zone" during the daytime. 

I think for most folks choosing a cruise involves weighing the pros and cons between the ones we are considering.  We recently "defected" from our usual line because the cons started to add up to the point where they tipped the balance in favor of looking elsewhere.  (Hello Carnival)  A ship that has a library is going to be a "pro" for me but I realize I may be in the minority.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

Exactly!  Just turn off the music in one of the empty public spaces and designate it a "quiet zone" during the daytime. 

yes yes yes, that would be wonderful.

I am convinced that music is played to keep the crew happy like when cleaning lounges or smaller areas during the day.  I do no understand why the music in the hallways is not turned down at night too.

Of course one can have a nice balcony until a neighbor puts their music on or talks loud.

Funny but I have found a few ships with a wedding chapel, and I go and sit in there for peace.

Funny story:  My husband recently took my car instead of his and promptly discovered that my radio does not work.  It amazed him that I was only vaguely aware of this.  I told him I never use it since I prefer quiet.  He wanted to get it fixed and I told him it would be a waste of money since I don't use it.  And, no, I don't read while I drive but I wish there was a way to work that out, lol.

5 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Funny story:  My husband recently took my car instead of his and promptly discovered that my radio does not work.  It amazed him that I was only vaguely aware of this.  I told him I never use it since I prefer quiet.  He wanted to get it fixed and I told him it would be a waste of money since I don't use it.  And, no, I don't read while I drive but I wish there was a way to work that out, lol.

Fix the radio and get audiobooks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

I think for most folks choosing a cruise involves weighing the pros and cons between the ones we are considering.  We recently "defected" from our usual line because the cons started to add up to the point where they tipped the balance in favor of looking elsewhere.  (Hello Carnival)  A ship that has a library is going to be a "pro" for me but I realize I may be in the minority.

Agree, a library would be a plus factor, but far from the most important factor in making a decision.

On 11/14/2023 at 12:20 PM, cellfree said:

Talking about “space” on a ship, as I have been thinking about this, for instance one example, on the Pride the NightClub is huge and is used for maybe 3 hours a couple times a week - there is a lot of space on a ship that is underutilized- yet still sitting there. 

Then, there is the quiet place some are looking for!  

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

Then, there is the quiet place some are looking for!  

A Library is more than just a quiet place. The post you quoted - I was tying to point out that they converted a small square footage space that someone must have decided was underutilized into a gift shop while at the same time there are several much larger spaces on a ship that are only used a few hours a day if that. 

30 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

So, the libraries are not a source of income for the cruise lines. At what point are the bean counters going to realize that no one is paying to swim and replace the pools with gift shops? 😒

I think Virgin Voyages kind of did this with their tiny pools. I'm not sure what they replaced it with - more loungers perhaps?

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

So, the libraries are not a source of income for the cruise lines. At what point are the bean counters going to realize that no one is paying to swim and replace the pools with gift shops? 😒

many parents, though, ARE technically paying for their kids to swim.  They'll choose a ship / cruise line based off of what amenities there are for their kids and I feel like the pool is a big part of it (as well as the splash pads and waterslides, etc).   

Take out the pools and they'll also be taking out the "family" unless they replace it with some other equally "fun" activity for the kids to do ALL DAY EVERY DAY

8 hours ago, cellfree said:

A Library is more than just a quiet place. The post you quoted - I was tying to point out that they converted a small square footage space that someone must have decided was underutilized into a gift shop while at the same time there are several much larger spaces on a ship that are only used a few hours a day if that. 

Yes, I think it was under utilized and someone decided it would be better used as something else.  And, I was pointing out, for those complaining, that there are quiet areas to relax and read or do whatever one needs silence to do.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simplelife said:

Do any ships have a Chapel anymore? I don't remember seeing one in years

Not sure but the last ones I saw on the Spirit class have been removed with the library to become the Wherehouse arcade about 3-4 years ago. 

1 hour ago, n6uqqq said:

Not sure but the last ones I saw on the Spirit class have been removed with the library to become the Wherehouse arcade about 3-4 years ago. 

I'm guessing just like libraries, chapels do not produce any revenue.