Fur coat and no knickers

jaxw17

5 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Take into account that the plastic tubs hold approx 500-600g and can be available at £3-50 when on special offer or generally about £4 means it is costing only on average about 70p for 100g is excellent price for quality chocolate.

I’d agree with you on the price - they’re very cheap now in real terms. Not on the quality, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Same with all chocolates these days. A fraction of the volume and not as good quality. Tins (or plastic tubs) seem to have around a third of the chocolates they had, but now with wrappers that fill the space. Boxes of chocolates just as bad. The plastic trays used to be full of chocolates. Now more plastic space between them than chocolates. Bars have got smaller and smaller, with ‘chunks’ that allow loads of air between each piece. Worst example is Terry’s Chocolate orange. Used to be completely solid, now more air than chocolate. Not that I’m obsessed about these things you understand 🤣 

What I don't understand is why the butter tubs have now been reduced to 400gms from 500gms, do the makers think we won't notice? And the empty tubs are no longer as convenient for freezing batch cooking, Aargh!!!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sandancer said:

Bring back Thorntons I say. 

I used to love Thorntons easters eggs where they would also write your name in icing on the egg whilst you wait. Goes back to when my nannan used to buy them for me as a child.

Anyway when I was working in Sheffield one Easter - every day I would buy one for myself and because I loved the icing so much I would make up long names so I got more icing

So I would make long name up and ask them to write things like

"Happy Easter Alexander" 

One time I went though and the lady who wrote the names on was on a lunch break. So they offered me an egg without any icing. 

Which wouldn't have been the same

So I persuaded them to let me have the one in the shop window which already had written on it in icing:

"Your name written here"

They thought I was mad

I would eat one pretty much every afternoon back at work in the 3 weeks leading up to easter

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

We had shares in Thorntons and every year in October you were issued with discount vouchers. Over the years we got much more back from the vouchers than we ever did in dividends.

I don’t have a particularly sweet tooth but I used to like the odd Alpini and OH the odd two or three dozen Viennese truffles. He loves chocolate.

The vouchers were great for seasonal buys like the Easter eggs ICF mentions above, chocolate Santa’s and the lovely Haloween lollys they did.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I used to love Thorntons easters eggs where they would also write your name in icing on the egg whilst you wait.

That brings back memories , Dad would always buy us kids one of those eggs at Easter.

People would be queueing  out of the shop door for them .

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, kalos said:

That brings back memories , Dad would always buy us kids one of those eggs at Easter.

I follow the ICF plan, no Phil on my Thorntons egg, I usually go for Ebenezer Scrooge, those people queuing out of the door were not too pleased but extra icing is extra icing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

I should have thought of that when my twins were about 5, and loved their Thornton's eggs.  For a while - they always had nicknames - they were known as Nicodemus Boffin and Georgiana Podsnap.  From Dickens, possibly Pickwick Papers,  can't remember.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

They used to make the chocolates for M and S . I used to but mine there. One year I bought 15 boxes to give to the different  home carers who visited my mum. As the house was always warm I though the garage would be cool to store them. Local mice population certainly enjoyed them. When I went to get them to wrap all that was left were a few half eaten bits and loads of plastic and foil. Emergency trip to CoOp. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

They used to make the chocolates for M and S . I used to but mine there. One year I bought 15 boxes to give to the different  home carers who visited my mum. As the house was always warm I though the garage would be cool to store them. Local mice population certainly enjoyed them. When I went to get them to wrap all that was left were a few half eaten bits and loads of plastic and foil. Emergency trip to CoOp. 

Damned mice.

I used to have an old MG.  Mouse/mice chewed a hole into one of the seats.  Over £400 for new seat covers at that time.  Luckily there was an upholstery repair place round the corner.  Took the seat out (easy on that era of car) and the chap stitched in a new strip of leather from his collection of offcuts.  Matched perfectly - £15.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, kalos said:

I still buy those for my grandchildren at Easter. Even though my daughter is 32 she still expects one too

Michelle

• Like 4

Absolute disgrace how this thread has been sidetracked,no doubt by those who didn’t want any criticism of their favourite cruise line to go on.

Its turning the thread into a Chat Room as opposed to a Forum.

For what it’s worth I totally agree with some of the OPs  points, my cruise on Iona in February was the worst in over 80 cruises on different lines,even worse than MSC.

Edited by JeanieC,Aston
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Like chocolate Advent Calendar My 30 year old daughter and son in law look forward to theirs every year 

According to  my new chocolate advent calendar,there are only two days until Christmas 🙃😉

• Haha 8

46 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Absolute disgrace how this thread has been sidetracked,no doubt by those who didn’t want any criticism of their favourite cruise line to go on.

Its turning the thread into a Chat Room as opposed to a Forum.

For what it’s worth I totally agree with some of the OPs  points, my cruise on Iona in February was the worst in over 80 cruises on different lines,even worse than MSC.

Was nice talking about chocolate though

Nothing sinister here on my part at least

Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise on Iona 

Do you want to expand on why it was the worst cruise you've had?

And get us back on track Jeannie?

• Like 1

Because the P and O forum is such a happy (and informative) place we don't mind if the odd thread goes astray, its a bit of fun when it happens.  We don't complain or get cross about it, we usually get back on track sooner or later!

Strange about the original poster though.  Disappeared completely.  Hope all is ok.

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Was nice talking about chocolate though

Nothing sinister here on my part at least

Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise on Iona 

Do you want to expand on why it was the worst cruise you've had?

And get us back on track Jeannie?

Hi

For probably the 10th time,,,the reasons of probably been done to death between yourself,myself and others in the last few months.

To summarise…..

The queues.

The bar service due to not being able to go to the bar was not good enough,,,waiters with iPads a bad idea.

No atmosphere,,especially in the Atrium.

MDR service was a shambles.

Lack of live music venues for number of passengers,,,I was on Marella Voyager last month and I could. Get a seat in the Caberet bar,,watch a musician/singer then a game show then a party band and then stay there for a couple of hours,,,where on Iona can I do that without seeing a repeat set x4 times in the evening in the Clubhouse.

Getting in queue on App for dinner at 19:00 and getting sat down at nearly 22:00.

Late supper in buffet only one counter open for the many who wanted a snack.

Thats enough for now,,,,,I don’t want to repeat a well worn thread.

You liked Iona I didn’t….walk on.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

For probably the 10th time,,,the reasons of probably been done to death between yourself,myself and others in the last few months.

To summarise…..

The queues.

The bar service due to not being able to go to the bar was not good enough,,,waiters with iPads a bad idea.

No atmosphere,,especially in the Atrium.

MDR service was a shambles.

Lack of live music venues for number of passengers,,,I was on Marella Voyager last month and I could. Get a seat in the Caberet bar,,watch a musician/singer then a game show then a party band and then stay there for a couple of hours,,,where on Iona can I do that without seeing a repeat set x4 times in the evening in the Clubhouse.

Getting in queue on App for dinner at 19:00 and getting sat down at nearly 22:00.

Late supper in buffet only one counter open for the many who wanted a snack.

Thats enough for now,,,,,I don’t want to repeat a well worn thread.

You liked Iona I didn’t….walk on.

I kind of feel it was nicer talking about Thorntons now!

Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 10