LEAVE YOUR CBD HOME ....

Capt_BJ

A woman has been banned for life from sailing aboard any Carnival Cruise Line ship for packing CBD gummies along in her carry-on bag for an August 2023 cruise from Miami, Florida.

Despite the controlled substance being conditionally legal in Florida, all major cruise lines prohibit such items, as is clearly stated on Carnival’s prohibited items list.

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Well.....yeah....of course.  

Yes, of course but there have been at least  7 or 8 threads I have seen in the past on Cruise Critic where peeps asked if they could bring CBD or pop were skeptical that anything would happen to them if they were caught bringing CBDs. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rolloman said:

I cruise this weekend and in a different forum someone was asking how closely they check bags...🤦‍♂️

I hope every group is sharing this person's story as a warning.

• Like 3

Do you think she may been belligerent to the carnival security team?  Why wouldn't they just throw it away and let her board.  I find it hard to believe they would have denied her boarding over a legal substance that isn't allowed on board.  If you brought scissors or some other item not allowed don't they just confiscate it?

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

Do you think she may been belligerent to the carnival security team?  Why wouldn't they just throw it away and let her board.  I find it hard to believe they would have denied her boarding over a legal substance that isn't allowed on board.  If you brought scissors or some other item not allowed don't they just confiscate it?

Maybe, maybe not. The letter explaining the ban seemed to suggest it was due to behavior as much as it was the drug. But at the same time, to piggyback off your example scissors are not a schedule I drug - so I don't think they needed any reason other than the drugs to ban her.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

There's a lot to consider here.  First, I hope we aren't naive enough to believe that everyone's TCH content is correctly labeled.  This is to say, I can take some high-as-a-kite gummies and put them in a container labeled CBD, and no one is going to be testing them at the port.  

Scissors aren't illegal.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

Quite possibly. The backpack I used to carry my laptop on a cruise had a a knife and 2 full mags of ammo for my Glock 19 handgun. Security found them and asked me to take them back to my car.

I was nervous since I had my gummies in the very next pocket, but luckily, they didn't see them...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, john91498 said:

Quite possibly. The backpack I used to carry my laptop on a cruise had a a knife and 2 full mags of ammo for my Glock 19 handgun. Security found them and asked me to take them back to my car.

I was nervous since I had my gummies in the very next pocket, but luckily, they didn't see them...

Had a magazine in the bottom of a backpack I used to carry daily trying to board the Celebration in Jan... Ruined embarkation and me and another guy got a ride to return our mags to the car. 

Sad thing is, I had flown to Vegas and back 2 months prior and not a peep from TSA.

Carnival security > Government employees.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dallasdan said:

Not legal in the countries they travel to, and there are plenty of warnings.

• Like 2

Unless I'm mistaken, Chief recently explained that even if the Feds (Congress) were to change to laws nationally, the possession would still be prohibited due to some maritime law/treaty, etc. So, the cruise lines would still be required to make this a prohibited item.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This is the stupidest thing I've ever read.  I get it's a prohibited item on board.  But as someone else mentioned, so are scissors.  How many people have small scissors in their bag on the daily and don't even think about it?  Maybe she has an Rx for it.  And if she does it's even more stupid.  "Yes, you may bring Oxy on board no problem, but please leave your pain relieving gummy bears at home" *eye roll*

Before people come at me, I am adding that I know most people don't have an Rx for it and just try to sneak it on.  But many people do.  Also adding that I am none of these people, but I do still have an opinion.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, dlphn501 said:

This is the stupidest thing I've ever read.  I get it's a prohibited item on board.  But as someone else mentioned, so are scissors.  How many people have small scissors in their bag on the daily and don't even think about it?  Maybe she has an Rx for it.  And if she does it's even more stupid.  "Yes, you may bring Oxy on board no problem, but please leave your pain relieving gummy bears at home" *eye roll*

Before people come at me, I am adding that I know most people don't have an Rx for it and just try to sneak it on.  But many people do.  Also adding that I am none of these people, but I do still have an opinion.

Scissors are banned because they are (in theory) a weapon, not because they are illegal in a potential port of call.  I can buy scissors in the ports, I can buy scissors in Florida, and DC, and Seattle.  I just can't/shouldn't bring them aboard.  They'll confiscate them, not toss you from the ship for possessing them because they aren't illegal.

CBD is not allowed because (Carnival says) it is banned in one or more potential ports of call, and/or the International Maritime Law topic that @chengkp75 says would apply even if legal everywhere else (unless/until the IMO moved to align, if a valid reason to do so).

And I bet the response from the woman involved wasn't just a polite "oh, I'm sorry, I got them at the drug store/grocery" (which might have gotten her a similarly polite "ok, don't bring them again, go on your way and board" response), instead she was probably ornery, claimed her special privileges, and Got What She Deserved.  xref dorks in FL who recently got arrested while claiming Sovereign Citizen status.  Being middle-aged does not bring wisdom to all.

• Like 11

It is called zero tolerance...this lady was made an example of... a clear message going forward for those who think the worst punishment they will get for "accidentally" or "accidentally on purpose" bringing it onboard. You now know the end result will be the walk of shame off the ship with a new travel itinerary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Chads2600 said:

I think how they handled it was a bit extreme.  I for one will never cruise with Carnival.

You don't know how they handled it.  All anybody has are the second- and third-hand retellings of what was printed in the on-line stories and nothing but supposition beyond that.

• Like 7