LEAVE YOUR CBD HOME ....

Capt_BJ

7 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Regarding CBD products (with no THC required), which was the product in question for this post: your argument is invalid, because many people have prescriptions or doctor recommendations for retail-available low/no-THC CBD to treat conditions, and they want to take them aboard but can't / shouldn't.  This isn't akin to an alcoholic that can't imagine existing without drinking, this is potentially someone who is taking a pain-management treatment on doctor's order.

So while there are recreational users of "CBD gummies", there are many who aren't.

In fact, I bet that the number of truly prescription/doctor-recommended users of CBD products (that in theory need no THC content) far outnumbers the people bringing on "low/no THC" CBD products for recreational use.  The "recreational users" will be instead smuggling on high THC products, because that's what they are looking to enjoy.

If you are referring to pot smokers or users trying to specifically take high-THC products on-board, then I will simply respond that many recreational users may not need the products, but are willing to take their chances to "enhance their enjoyment of the cruise".  And that's their choice to run the gauntlet, and they will have to reap the consequences if caught.

Aloha. I appreciate your response and explanation.  Thank you.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, aborgman said:

Details matter.

One is an illegal, intoxicating schedule I drug.

The other is a legal (in the USA), non-intoxicating, drug that isn't even on the drug schedule .

Most aren't regulated and so might contain anything.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2023 at 2:16 AM, aborgman said:

Details matter.

One is an illegal, intoxicating schedule I drug.

The other is a legal (in the USA), non-intoxicating, drug that isn't even on the drug schedule .

You keep repeating this pedantry as if anyone claimed that CBD is a schedule 1 drug. No one did and whether it is or not is immaterial to the discussion. Unless the product is CBD isolate, which few readily available consumer products claim to be, it is full- or broad-spectrum and contains, at least, trace amounts of THC. If the product does contain THC, there is a limit of 0.3%, as mentioned by another poster, for a product to be labeled as CBD legally.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 12:37 AM, BlerkOne said:

and in fact, some new cruisers will sail Carnival because of this.

Why? CBD doesn’t produce a high, like THC, it’s more like melatonin. It’s pretty non-offensive, especially compared to the amount of alcohol consumed on cruises, which definitely has a greater effect.

57 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Why? CBD doesn’t produce a high, like THC, it’s more like melatonin. It’s pretty non-offensive, especially compared to the amount of alcohol consumed on cruises, which definitely has a greater effect.

One is allowed by the cruise line and the other isn't. People who only follow the rules they agree with are destroying society. Trying to justify by comparing to something allowed by the cruise line is only fooling yourself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, fyree39 said:

This type of punishment is hypocritical. Celebrate alcohol and drinking to excess, but nothing else is allowed.

12 hours ago, mz-s said:

It really is like a broken record on threads like this.

Which part is the broken record?  That part that the foreign ports don't allow the product, regardless of how legal or harmless the product may be?

Pax occasionally get "surprised" that it is illegal for a civilian to wear camouflage in certain ports. Carnival let's you onboard with it, but repeatedly reminds you of the local port laws regarding it.  Nonetheless, every now and then someone who didn't hear or read any of the multitudes of warnings gets marched back to the ship by local authorities for wearing camo.  And then they complain endlessly about not being warned.  🙄

Now imagine if Carnival allowed CBD on-board, but warned you to not take it off ship in the ports (a la camo).  And some dumbo "accidentally" takes some into the port and gets caught.  In many ports I bet the response is not to be returned to the ship, but instead go straight to jail, do not collect $200.  And we'd never hear the end of it from the "poor soul" who didn't realize it wasn't allowed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Which part is the broken record?  That part that the foreign ports don't allow the product, regardless of how legal or harmless the product may be?

Pax occasionally get "surprised" that it is illegal for a civilian to wear camouflage in certain ports. Carnival let's you onboard with it, but repeatedly reminds you of the local port laws regarding it.  Nonetheless, every now and then someone who didn't hear or read any of the multitudes of warnings gets marched back to the ship by local authorities for wearing camo.  And then they complain endlessly about not being warned.  🙄

Now imagine if Carnival allowed CBD on-board, but warned you to not take it off ship in the ports (a la camo).  And some dumbo "accidentally" takes some into the port and gets caught.  In many ports I bet the response is not to be returned to the ship, but instead go straight to jail, do not collect $200.  And we'd never hear the end of it from the "poor soul" who didn't realize it wasn't allowed.

The problem is that they don't even need to take it off. when they pull into port, they are in that country. Drugs on the ship have now been brought into the country. I've heard of situations where a ship will be in port and have drug dogs come on board to search for drugs in the rooms.

Carnival can't let you on with any illegal substances because they are then facilitating you importing drugs into a foreign country. While we make a distinction between CBD and THC in the US, I'm not sure that other countries make that distinction. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2023 at 6:43 AM, ProgRockCruiser said:

Regarding CBD products (with no THC required), which was the product in question for this post: your argument is invalid, because many people have prescriptions or doctor recommendations for retail-available low/no-THC CBD to treat conditions, and they want to take them aboard but can't / shouldn't.  This isn't akin to an alcoholic that can't imagine existing without drinking, this is potentially someone who is taking a pain-management treatment on doctor's order.

Not many have prescriptions, because there is only one (1) CBD product that is FDA approved - Epidiolex. Cash price - about $1000/60ml, although insurance might cover.

Anything else is an unregulated supplement that might contain just about anything. If a doctor suggests trying a supplement, it is at most a recommendation and not an "order". Doctors don't give orders.

It is irrelevant if a doctor recommends, if it is legal in your state, or even if a doctor somehow prescribes. It is not allowed by the cruise line. If someone wants to risk taking on the ship, that is on them.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 11:44 AM, fyree39 said:

This type of punishment is hypocritical. Celebrate alcohol and drinking to excess, but nothing else is allowed.

It is neither punishment nor hypocritical. You can also eat until you explode, but that is allowed by the cruise line. The cruise line sells alcohol; they do not sell illicit drugs.

If you are caught smuggling alcohol, it will be confiscated.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 5:46 AM, aborgman said:

CBD is not a schedule I drug.

It may be illegal in a number of ports, and against Carniaval rules - but it is not a schedule I drug, and is legal under US Federal law.

It is a maritime law for crew for safety. Even if entire say US made THC or CBD legal, the ship law applies, especially in foreign waters, or even stricter applies to countries sailing to and their laws at port.

From Carnival “Any illegal narcotics/drugs including synthetic, designer drugs, Cannabidiol (CBD) and medical marijuana. While certain CBD products used for medicinal purposes may be legal in the US, they are not legal in all the ports we visit and therefore are also considered prohibited items.”

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I was mostly talking about the same old tired argument of alcohol being legal but marijuana is not. Everyone thinks they have some new and genius revelation when they point out that fact I suppose.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2023 at 3:07 PM, alex_gregor said:

You keep repeating this pedantry as if anyone claimed that CBD is a schedule 1 drug. No one did

Yes, someone actually did. They also said it was intoxicating, and anyone who "needs" it should be in rehab.

3 hours ago, Buffettfan 225 said:

It is a maritime law for crew for safety. Even if entire say US made THC or CBD legal, the ship law applies, especially in foreign waters, or even stricter applies to countries sailing to and their laws at port.

From Carnival “Any illegal narcotics/drugs including synthetic, designer drugs, Cannabidiol (CBD) and medical marijuana. While certain CBD products used for medicinal purposes may be legal in the US, they are not legal in all the ports we visit and therefore are also considered prohibited items.”

It's maritime law (it ain't for crew safety) - but that is irrelevant, because they ban just about anything they want whether it's legal or not. Not arguing that at all.

Just pointing out the idiocy of the folks claiming things like CBD being an intoxicating schedule I drug.

12 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Yes, someone actually did. They also said it was intoxicating, and anyone who "needs" it should be in rehab.

The only post in this thread with the word "rehab" in it is the quoted post of yours.

The only posts in this thread with the word "intoxicating" are 3 posts of yours.

The only posts in this thread with the phrase "schedule 1" are 5 posts of yours, mine calling you out, and one where mz-s stated that scissors are not a schedule 1 drug.

Are you certain you're not mixing up multiple threads or reading more words in posts than were actually typed?

Regardless, the status of CBD or THC as schedule 1 drugs is absolutely immaterial to the discussion of whether Carnival has reason to ban either or both and whether Carnival was extreme in their handling of the specific instance of a passenger attempting to bring such on board.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, aborgman said:

It's maritime law (it ain't for crew safety) - but that is irrelevant, because they ban just about anything they want whether it's legal or not. Not arguing that at all.

Just pointing out the idiocy of the folks claiming things like CBD being an intoxicating schedule I drug.

We agree they can ban whatever they want.  They did.  It is over.

• Like 5

On 11/28/2023 at 8:03 AM, mz-s said:

People can get silly with their power strips onboard no problem but my surge protector is perfectly legal in Denver and they took it from me!

Not sure how we get to power strips, but if it has a surge suppresser on it, it cannot be used.  It has to due with the way the ships are wired.  Has nothing to do with how they can be used on land.

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not sure how we get to power strips, but if it has a surge suppresser on it, it cannot be used.  It has to due with the way the ships are wired.  Has nothing to do with how they can be used on land.

I believe the power strip with surge suppression was brought up as an example of something 'not bring with you' that the cruise line has clearly told passengers.

• Like 3