Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Surprised to hear -  wonder if it was your selections and type of wine- 

We were drinking a lot of Montaudon , Villa Maria and Red Condunrum which all ran out a day or 2 before the end of 2nd leg.  Decoy was still available when we got off but not in all restaurants or bars.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not sure if you even know but did they have the Brown Raw Sugar?

I could not find it…. I searched in Al Bacio, OceanViev, in sugar selection on the table in MDR. None….
If I have some sugar in my coffee, I never use white sugar. It’s only brown sugar. 

11 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

Hope things get sorted out when the Edge arrives in Sydney!

I do also but with the issues so far my confidence is very low.    I hope I am just a pessimist.

OK... I have to admit I'm Powerless -   I'm a terrible codependent and know it.   I don't drink Alcohol but when My Husband is disappointed - Like all codependent we try to fix things instead of trying to fix our obsession with fixing others. 

Who should know better as I use to teach a course on Understanding Addictive Behavior. 

• Like 12

8 hours ago, mchell810 said:

Iain knows when to let his temper loose, .... glad he wasn't charged.

Will be interesting.   We were chatting with Anu our Butler this morning.  He is so kind and is a perfectionist.    I said I was surprised by the fact that for 5 days they have told us Iain's favorite wine was on the ship but unavailable yet in Lumina.  

He instantly asked Iain the write it down -  I won't even try -- It's a French Chardonnay.  He said I will speak with F/B Manager and have it at Luminae tonight if it is on the ship.   We know it is as he had it in Eden.

• Like 6

NEWS FLASH -  From very reliable source who wants to be anonymous as they are unauthorized to speak on the subject. 

Laura Hodges Bethge will be boarding in Sydney for the Final Leg of the Cruise and the Inaugural Sailing of Edge out of Sydney. 

She will be staying in the Iconic.    I suggested they should put her in a Sky Suite and see how effective the Butler Team Concept is working.

She will really be slumming it.

image.thumb.png.bb3470976d80acf132e4a889bec032bc.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 19

6 hours ago, cruisingaussies said:

Not to mention a chair like that is the worst thing to sit on if you have a bad back.  

Good move to remove. The chair is a magnet for stubbing ones toes day and night.  It did make for a good clothing rack when I returned to the room after my wife and child were asleep in the evening.

Jim, hope you feel better.  As you know, there's plenty of flavored syrups and mixes at each bar if you find yourself needing to make your own vitamin water or slushy with added salt.  The vitamin water zero will blend okay if you don't mind them adding a bit of neutral sugar base, or a splash from a carton bar mix that matches the flavor to help with the emulsification.  Using carbonated water gets one closest to a Slurpee.  

I've had good results with the QR code, too.  It cuts out a lot of the game of telephone, voicemail message in the room with the light, notes on the dresser, and so on. 

• Like 3

Jim:  Your news flash has been fairly widely discussed for the last 48 hours.  Our table discussed the rumor, which was broadly hinted by one of the stripes, at the Zenith gathering this am.  I also think she should stay in a Sky Suite to evaluate the “team” butler concept.

This ship has felt “off” since we boarded on October 30.  Some situations the crew can not control, such as having to do a full face to face immigration in Mumbai.   Celebrity offered to pay for Indian immigration folks to board at a prior port and then have days to conduct the immigration while sailing to Mumbai, but that offer was declined.  That day in Mumbai was a mess, and was compounded by  the Edge crew not returning many of the collected Indian evisas.  Not only did we have additional printed copies we also had them on our phones, but a surprising number of folks did not.  It was a mess for some.  

We leave the ship in Sydney.  If this series of three cruises had been our first on Celebrity they likely would have been our only.

Gerry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

NEWS FLASH -  From very reliable source who wants to be anonymous as they are unauthorized to speak on the subject. 

Laura Hodges Bethge will be boarding in Sydney for the Final Leg of the Cruise and the Inaugural Sailing of Edge out of Sydney. 

She will be staying in the Iconic.    I suggested they should put her in a Sky Suite and see how effective the Butler Team Concept is working.

She will really be slumming it.

image.thumb.png.bb3470976d80acf132e4a889bec032bc.png

Wow.  That is some big news.  Maybe she's bringing the wine from Miami, the 4 oz filets for the childrens menu, frozen cookie dough and warmer, pillow chocolates, and seapass card reader to charge for each?  

Not to impose on your vacation, but could you slip her a thumb drive of all of your very reliable critiques and those of others from this board.  Time to use that QR code again!  Now that you know the hotel director on a first name basis..... my mind wanders late here in North America.... couldn't be a better ambassador than you and Iain. 

Ummm is that the leg when @terrydtx joins up with the ship, too?  I can't recall.   

Looking forward to the next few days of discussion.... 

Edit/PS:  Meanwhile over on Instagram LLP has been promoting a book she wrote on leadership, empowering others, etc.  (perhaps for discussion on another thread).

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 3

We were recently on the the Solstice which arrived Singapore from North America via Sydney. There weren’t concerns about shortages although the pallet containing tonic water was not emptied quickly enough. One evening with no gin🤨.

Tomatoes, bananas fruit and vegetables are your friends for electrolytes with adequate fluids. 

We have a cruise on Millenium from Mumbai in 2025. Already looking for another cruise to move the deposit too. Best to visit India by land, although with reservations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Jim that's really a Great Ide! 

And as @Northern Aurora says.... she should indeed test her own product. 

In the survey for our b2b last cruise, I added a link to my live and said that they should consider to read it for closer information on what's going on in real life... Particularly how you meet and greet people. And that the first impression is something we really were not impressed by in SS. 

I hope she gets the "warm" and cosy welcome we had🤣🤣  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We leave the ship in Sydney.  If this series of three cruises had been our first on Celebrity they likely would have been our only.

Gerry

Thank you for this feedback❤️ What you are addressing is really important.

Had our SS been our first X cruise.....  Im not sure if we would booked X again. (its the attention to details that really slips and the mega important first impression connected to the retreat)

Specially if you have stayed at some nicer resorts or something in the same category you assume you're booking. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Last night this showed up in the room.   Kelly Ann failure.   I guess the previous guest in our room had it removed.   I had our butler take it back to storage.   It takes up far too much space and you hit your shin on it often. 

IMG_0913.thumb.jpeg.94ff4e348e007b64285fd29aa463bac5.jpeg

Yes you will...  I did several times.... should have had it removed too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cap_D said:

Good move to remove. The chair is a magnet for stubbing ones toes day and night.  It did make for a good clothing rack when I returned to the room after my wife and child were asleep in the evening.

Jim, hope you feel better.  As you know, there's plenty of flavored syrups and mixes at each bar if you find yourself needing to make your own vitamin water or slushy with added salt.  The vitamin water zero will blend okay if you don't mind them adding a bit of neutral sugar base, or a splash from a carton bar mix that matches the flavor to help with the emulsification.  Using carbonated water gets one closest to a Slurpee.  

I've had good results with the QR code, too.  It cuts out a lot of the game of telephone, voicemail message in the room with the light, notes on the dresser, and so on. 

We were also on the first two legs of this cruise and experienced all of those difficulties without the benefit of the Retreat Team solving many problems for me and my only recourse was to stand in the long lines at guest services or to try and find someone to print replacement documents for me.  I'm sure LHB will have a great experience in the Iconic suite.  If she really wanted to experience what the other 90 percent of the passengers experience, she should stay in one of the IV balconies.   Let her experience the overworked stateroom attendants, the lack of seating in the Oceanview cafe, the Eden Cafe or the Mast Grill, a reduced selection of dinner options in the Oceanview Cafe for dinner, and the lack of staff in the MDR.  If @Jim_Iain and @Norwaylady experienced poor service in the Retreat just imagine how the rest of the passengers feel.  Then perhaps she will be able to understand that there are many longtime customers like me, that do not have a future cruise booked on Celebrity and have no interest in sailing with Celebrity anytime in the future. 

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 12

Last night this showed up in the room.   Kelly Ann failure.   I guess the previous guest in our room had it removed.   I had our butler take it back to storage.   It takes up far too much space and you hit your shin on it often. 

IMG_0913.thumb.jpeg.94ff4e348e007b64285fd29aa463bac5.jpeg

I remember when Celebrity bragged about the fact that the designers for the Edge had never been on a cruise ship.  This is just another example that convinces me that they were telling the truth.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, Cap_D said:

Wow.  That is some big news.  Maybe she's bringing the wine from Miami, the 4 oz filets for the childrens menu, frozen cookie dough and warmer, pillow chocolates, and seapass card reader to charge for each?  

Not to impose on your vacation, but could you slip her a thumb drive of all of your very reliable critiques and those of others from this board.  Time to use that QR code again!  Now that you know the hotel director on a first name basis..... my mind wanders late here in North America.... couldn't be a better ambassador than you and Iain. 

Ummm is that the leg when @terrydtx joins up with the ship, too?  I can't recall.   

Edit/PS:  Meanwhile over on Instagram LLP has been promoting a book she wrote on leadership, empowering others, etc.  (perhaps for discussion on another thread).

I don't board until January 13th.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I do also but with the issues so far my confidence is very low.    I hope I am just a pessimist.

OK... I have to admit I'm Powerless -   I'm a terrible codependent and know it.   I don't drink Alcohol but when My Husband is disappointed - Like all codependent we try to fix things instead of trying to fix our obsession with fixing others. 

Who should know better as I use to teach a course on Understanding Addictive Behavior. 

thanks for menus..they seem better?  but heavy on corn soup and doubt we would pick oxtail or pigs feet,,??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cap_D said:

maybe she can host a Cruise Critic gathering of a cross section of cruisers..to get the true "flava"  of her clientele!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

OK @Whinenowine  you have me curious.    What is X Byo Policy.  Even my neighbor and best Friend Mr Google has failed me.

First, I hope you're re-hydrating and feeling better. I grew up in the sub-tropics and it never ceases to amaze me how the body is impacted by the sudden impact of heat and humidity.

As for BYO Policy--depending on which part of the X terms & conditions you believe, you're allowed to bring 2 bottles per person or 2 bottles per cabin.  As long as you have a drink plan (which isn't a problem in the Retreat) you can bring it to any restaurant for zero corkage.  I usually take shorter cruises so 3-4 bottles is plenty.  I either drop it off at the restaurant in advance or I ask the butler to do it if they have the time.  And as fair is fair (and since DW isn't a drinker), I always share the bottle with the Som/staff after dinner.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

We were also on the first two legs of this cruise and experienced all of those difficulties without the benefit of the Retreat Team solving many problems for me and my only recourse was to stand in the long lines at guest services or to try and find someone to print replacement documents for me.  I'm sure LHB will have a great experience in the Iconic suite.  If she really wanted to experience what the other 90 percent of the passengers experience, she should stay in one of the IV balconies.   Let her experience the overworked stateroom attendants, the lack of seating in the Oceanview cafe, the Eden Cafe or the Mast Grill, a reduced selection of dinner options in the Oceanview Cafe for dinner, and the lack of staff in the MDR.  If @Jim_Iain and @Norwaylady experienced poor service in the Retreat just imagine how the rest of the passengers feel.  Then perhaps she will be able to understand that there are many longtime customers like me, that do not have a future cruise booked on Celebrity and have no interest in sailing with Celebrity anytime in the future. 

We sailed our first part of our b2b in a concierge infinity balcony. No issues of big characters.

We ate 14 dinners in MDR. No problems we didn't handle, we rotated around as we wanted. We decided around noon where to book a table for dinner every evening on the app. We eat late, so always tables for booking 20.30 or 20.45. Never a problem, they were always waiting us and things worked out. 

Our housekeeping staff first part, deck 12 did an excellent job and everything was spotless and cleaned to our needs. We had no big issues at all for this partition of the cruise. Only thing was my Captains Club status missing. (I did tackle it, and it did not ruin my holiday.... I waited in line for 45.min for captains club and new 20.min+ at guest relation to reprint my card) 

But if you have read my live, you know we did not meet our housekeeper, retreat team until we went on a hunt for them after our move in Dubai to the SS and retreat. Our stateroom (suite) was not clean on arrival. It was stains and a dental stick brush left in the floor in the bathroom. 

What we have made criticism off is the lack of the attention to detail and overall service of a SS produkt that is not as described.  

For both legs of our b2b we have visited Oceanview, we had breakfast, snack or lunch and it has always been available tables if you go all the way aft. We had never problem finding a table out on the terrace or aft of the buffet. 

We ate dinner in the buffet in Phuket. It was on Thanksgiving. They had lots of choices and a big turkey station celebration of thanksgiving. And we ate in the prime rush in Phuket, not impossible to find a table. Again, aft of the buffet..... 

It sounds like you really had a bad experience. We did not in many ways. This was in our eyes a great itinerary and a really good cruise on most parameters. 

What governmental decisions taken in Greece, India, UAE and Singapore, we can't control nor the ship or X. They just have to follow their instructions. 

We waited in Athens as everyone, we did our immigration inspection in the morning in UAE due to private tour and was lucky compared to others on a ship tour. In Mumbai and Cochin we had luck on timing. So we didn't have the worst case scenario. But it was just pure luck. 

When we checked out of the ship in Singapore, we left early, so we didn't have a too long line to pass immigration. But again, this was not due to The Retreat. We were ready to leave the ship. 

But what we criticism is the miss match of what a SS is market as and what the actual produkt given. 

Remember, I dont sail in suites, The Retreat on a regular basis. 

This was the first experience in The Retreat. I have 19 other X cruises in regular balcony, AQ and CON mix. So this is what I am comparing my SS experince too. 

But we can't in any ways call this the worst cruise we have taken!

• Like 9

OK @Whinenowine  you have me curious.    What is X Byo Policy.  Even my neighbor and best Friend Mr Google has failed me.

Celebrity bring your own wine one 750ml bottle each allowed

we always bring our own Gatorade-type packets, just add water. I’ve had heat/humidity issues & they aren’t fun!! 

Edited by awhfy
  • Like 1

Jim, I hope you are soon feeling better. You have had a hectic time even without taking on board the climate change.

I must confess to feeling really annoyed for Iain about the wine…Excuses that things are not available when they are on board is not acceptable and as for trying to charge you….well!!!

I remember sommelier service in Luminae being really slow one cruise and after our wine not arriving two nights running until our starters were nearly finished my late husband saying politely to the waiter “If our starter arrives and our wine hasn’t we will be sending it back…”. He said it pleasantly but firmly and when our starters arrived and we still had empty glasses he asked the waiter not to serve it. Our waiter was flustered and talked to the M’D who chased the sommelier….After that wine service did improve…

Perhaps next visit to Luminae you order the wine you want and refuse to accept your meals until it is provided!

• Like 3