healthy eating

edub

Hi - I'm heading out on Adventure of the Seas next month and would love your tips about how to eat (relatively) healthy. I've been on RCI a while ago and don't remember much about the food; are there health-conscious options? Do they typically offer a lot of Indian cuisine or other vegetable centric dishes (I really enjoyed the Indian food on a Princess cruise earlier this year). I'm hoping with some exercise (stairs for sure), lack of a beverage package and dessert avoidance most of the time that I can avoid putting on more weight!

My top tip for healthy eating on a cruise is to avoid the buffet if you possibly can. There's so much food and it's just such a temptation. You think to yourself, I'll just try a little bit of this and a little bit of that and before you know it your plate is piled high, often with some very unhealthy options.

If you use the dining room or other eating facility where you have to order your food and it is served to you, portion control is much easier.

Choose a soup or salad as a starter, since those will help ensure you get necessary nutrients and will help fill you up. Choose fruit for dessert most days (it's available daily on the kids menu in the MDR and you don't need to be a kid to order from it) but don't forego a favourite dessert in the name of healthy eating. Occasional indulgence is unlikely to hurt and will more probably help you keep on track. Sometimes, if you're overly strict it can be counter-productive and lead you in entirely the wrong direction.

Tell your waiter not to bring you a bread basket. It's only too easy to fill up on unnecessary bread and butter while you're waiting for your meal.

There is always at least one vegetarian or vegan item on the MDR menus and, at dinner, there is now a daily Indian dish and you will also see underneath the main Indian dish that it says a vegetarian Indian dish is available on request.

I'm no expert when it comes to nutrition but these strategies work for me. I try and convince my DH to follow them too but usually he doesn't and by mid-cruise he's wishing he had because he's entering a food coma by then! 😂

I hope this helps and you have an amazing time on your cruise.

• Like 2

"Eating healthy" can mean different things.  Do you mean lots of veg?  Or low carb?  Or low calorie?  Defining your goals will help you meet them.  

Onboard you can eat as healthy -- or as unhealthy -- as you please.  Plenty of vegetables and healthy foods are sitting right next to the doughnuts and cakes.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Right?! I love Indian food, but it’s a treat, not something I consider healthy, so many rich dishes.

I don't know how to judge whether Indian food is healthy or not.  It contains so many ingredients that aren't obvious to the eye.  

17 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

My buffet trick is to use a smaller salad plate rather than the larger plates with the "main" food. Eat that slowly and then I have to think about if I really NEED more afterwards or if I just WANT more. 

My buffet trick is to use a larger plate and fill it 50% with a really good salad.  Then I add a piece of chicken or fish.  No potatoes, fries, rice or other starches.  That's what I have for lunch on a ship pretty much every day -- perfect for those of us who eat low-carb.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 3

Considering that many of the entertainment staff are athletes and performers in their own right, and that many of them eat from the same menus/options we are given, many of their YouTube videos show exactly what and where they eat.

Their self-discipline and dining choices are way above my inability to stay away from the junk that is available and that I gravitate to.

So, yes, there are plenty of health choices available. I just choose to ignore those.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

Making good choices is the hardest part. I find I don’t put on any weight on cruises but I often skip lunch especially on port intensive itineraries. My rule of thumb is no elevator till after 8pm. Also order that dessert but don’t feel the need to finish your plate. You can have a few bites and truly enjoy it without guilt. I’ve lost 37lb in the last 5 months and cruised in there as well. One trick though is don’t weigh yourself till a few days after your cruise. I don’t count water weight from increased sodium so I wait till my diet is back to normal at home for a few days before I weigh myself. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't know how to judge whether Indian food is healthy or not.  It contains so many ingredients that aren't obvious to the eye.  

My buffet trick is to use a larger plate and fill it 50% with a really good salad.  Then I add a piece of chicken or fish.  No potatoes, fries, rice or other starches.  That's what I have for lunch on a ship pretty much every day -- perfect for those of us who eat low-carb.  

Our last cruise did not have really good salad, in any way, shape or form.  Lettuce Tomato cucumber peppers onion.  No specialty salads, no shrimp, or chicken to add to it. Good luck!

49 minutes ago, dunrobbin said:

Our last cruise did not have really good salad, in any way, shape or form.  Lettuce Tomato cucumber peppers onion.  No specialty salads, no shrimp, or chicken to add to it. Good luck!

We're just off Grandeur and had particularly good salads: 

- The ingredients were nice and fresh -- good selection of ingredients too. 

- Saw small pre-made salads with goat cheese one day, chicken salad another day, Waldorf salad another day.  

- No, I didn't see shrimp or chicken to add to salads, but we particularly enjoyed the grilled chicken thighs (which they made differently every lunch).  

Probably varies by ship /by chef.  

Wow, thanks a million, everyone! Obviously not all Indian food is healthy - but the real problem comes when you eat it with rice AND naan and mainly eat meat dishes. I'd like to control my weight but I also try to eat a ton of veggies for various health reasons and I get tired of salad very quickly, so I'll be pretty happy with a few veg or fish Indian dishes on offer. Thanks for the pictures, looks amazing. 

Please feel free to continue with ideas - I love the one about watching the videos on YouTube of what the performers are eating - never would have thought of it!

Making healthy food choices on a cruise ship is no different from making healthy food choices anywhere else.

In some ways, it's easier on a ship, because there is always fresh salad.  Build your own from the fresh ingredients, and make smart choices about the dressing.  (use oil & vinegar; their other dressings are thick and gloppy).  Choose plain meats and vegetables for meals.  Ask your waiter not to put the bread basket on the table.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, edub said:

Hi - I'm heading out on Adventure of the Seas next month and would love your tips about how to eat (relatively) healthy. I've been on RCI a while ago and don't remember much about the food; are there health-conscious options? Do they typically offer a lot of Indian cuisine or other vegetable centric dishes (I really enjoyed the Indian food on a Princess cruise earlier this year). I'm hoping with some exercise (stairs for sure), lack of a beverage package and dessert avoidance most of the time that I can avoid putting on more weight!

I find it's easier to eat healthier at the buffet. I'm not tempted to get a little of everything, and I can create a meal from salad, veggies, and grilled chicken.

I'm also going to turn down the bread basket, and warn the MDR waiters that I can't eat large quantities of food so not to worry if I don't finish some items.

There are healthy options everywhere but it takes some motivation to choose them.. my wife ate oatmeal and fruit every morning while I ate egg and bagels. She often choose fish and fresh or roasted vegetables for lunch and dinner and skipping the rice or potatoes while I ate meat and rice, I also love Indian food but tried to eat more chicken and lamb than pork or beef. One of us gained 5 kilo (11 pounds?) and one didn't, guess who did? 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, edub said:

We cruise all the time and I never gain more than a pound.  I eat on a cruise the same way at home.  Lots of veggies and salad and fruits.  I drink, but still don't gain weight.  I never eat desserts, in the gym at 6 am every day for an hour.  I only eat chicken/turkey by choice, and love the Indian Curry, but very careful about when and how much to get.  I don't go on a cruise to eat, I go to enjoy the ship and beaches.  Lot of veggie options, and salad options.  

• Like 2

I love Curried Chicken over white rice with Coconut Flakes sprinkled on top and a tablespoon or two of Major Gray's Mango Chutney mixed in.  If they (RCCL) don't have either the flakes or chutney, I'm out.

Edited by Ret MP