Just off Apex

rollie

We just finished our Thanksgiving cruise on Apex.  We are seasoned Celebrity cruiser and were with another couple cruising for the first time.  While we had a great cruise there were a few little things that seemed to be slipping on Apex.  Noticed there were only 2 servers at the Martini bar at a very busy time, and they didn't put on a very good show.  Soap dispensers empty and cloth towels not replenished in restrooms.  Just a lot of little things that were noticed by us.  Now the couple traveling with us didn't notice these things.  I'm not trying to nit pic, but a lot of little things do add up.  These are things that have always separated Celebrity with main stream cruise lines.

Rollie

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Doesn't this show that more times people do some things the more little things they nitpick. People do something like eat at a certain restaurant for the first time and think it's amazing yet when they return they are often underwhelmed even if it's exactly the same.

We constantly see posts on hear saying it wasn't as good as before.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rollie said:

We just finished our Thanksgiving cruise on Apex.  We are seasoned Celebrity cruiser and were with another couple cruising for the first time.  While we had a great cruise there were a few little things that seemed to be slipping on Apex.  Noticed there were only 2 servers at the Martini bar at a very busy time, and they didn't put on a very good show.  Soap dispensers empty and cloth towels not replenished in restrooms.  Just a lot of little things that were noticed by us.  Now the couple traveling with us didn't notice these things.  I'm not trying to nit pic, but a lot of little things do add up.  These are things that have always separated Celebrity with main stream cruise lines.

Rollie

We were on the Apex in March. Pre supper (5 to 5:45) drinks in the martini bar area. Never at the bar. Always had good seats and excellent service. The public restrooms I (we) used always had plenty of cloth and paper towels and soap dispensers always had soap. The rest rooms were always clean. In the evening there was always (like other Celebrity ships) an attendant in the public restrooms. 

3 hours ago, rollie said:

Noticed there were only 2 servers at the Martini bar at a very busy time, and they didn't put on a very good show.

I've been following a live blog elsewhere from someone who was onboard and that was their major complaint... said it was actually difficult to get a drink between lack of roaming servers and overcrowded bars.

As someone who sails almost nothing but large Royal ships, that boggled my mind. I've definitely never had trouble getting a drink.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OCSC Mike said:

I've been following a live blog elsewhere from someone who was onboard and that was their major complaint... said it was actually difficult to get a drink between lack of roaming servers and overcrowded bars.

As someone who sails almost nothing but large Royal ships, that boggled my mind. I've definitely never had trouble getting a drink.

Martini bars fleetwide are very popular and always busy. Especially after 6:00 PM. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doghog said:

Martini bars fleetwide are very popular and always busy. Especially after 6:00 PM. 

Their complaint seemed to be shipwide but good to know. I've never sailed Celebrity and have no plans to, just thought I'd share.

7 hours ago, rollie said:

Rollie

We had same issue on Beyond! We would be at the bar by 4:30 and only 1 bartender!

IMHO the overall beverage service has declined since the advent of the drink packages.

At many locations, bars , pools , show room etc……Just think about it, the drinks are paid for in advance along with the 20 % gratuity, less drinks served = more $$$$ for the cruise line.

Before drink packages became popular, you could not walk 6 feet on a ship without a beverage server asking you if you would like a drink .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, doghog said:

We were on the Apex in March. Pre supper (5 to 5:45) drinks in the martini bar area. Never at the bar. Always had good seats and excellent service. The public restrooms I (we) used always had plenty of cloth and paper towels and soap dispensers always had soap. The rest rooms were always clean. In the evening there was always (like other Celebrity ships) an attendant in the public restrooms. 

There have been staff cutbacks in the last several months.  I was on several Celebrity cruise last winter and spring and everything was great.

Rollie

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rollie said:

There have been staff cutbacks in the last several months.  I was on several Celebrity cruise last winter and spring and everything was great.

Rollie

Thanks for making my point. As I said our March (spring) Apex cruise experiences was different from your thanksgiving cruise. No problems on our October Eclipse cruise either. 

• Like 1

Just off 26N on Edge and bar staff had recently been reduced, both in managers and bartenders/servers.

Evenings to get a drink in Eden meant going to the bar, waiting in line to order and carry your own drink to the table as at times only 1 server for Eden.  Bar manager was helping make drinks, clearing tables, and restocking.  Similar situation in the Grand Plaza.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Just off 26N on Edge and bar staff had recently been reduced, both in managers and bartenders/servers.

Evenings to get a drink in Eden meant going to the bar, waiting in line to order and carry your own drink to the table as at times only 1 server for Eden.  Bar manager was helping make drinks, clearing tables, and restocking.  Similar situation in the Grand Plaza.  

What a difference less than a year makes, we were on Edge for 24N in April/May and we did not run into understaffed issues at any venue, especially not in Retreat or Luminae, including Eden. 

To the OP

Thanks for posting. I am in the situation that I am cruising the Apex next week with 3 of my brothers and their wives. One couple has cruised Celebrity several times. Another brother and his wife are avid Carnival cruisers but went on the Apex with us in February and were blown away. The third brother has never cruised, never wanted to cruise--don't even ask and is coming on this cruise only because "blown away brother" is paying for his cruise.

So your impressions will help me manage expectations. And I really do think that it is all about managing expectations. For "blown away brother" I just told him, "It's a nice ship. I think you will like it."

Now I just hope "blown away brother" hasn't built up the expectations of "Never gonna Cruise" brother to the point where he will be disgruntled.😉

• Like 1

I was on this cruise as well, my first with Celebrity. I experienced staff shortage issues in the main dining room, as well as Luminae. One evening in Cosmopolitan, after we finished our entrees we sat and sat, waiting for someone to clear the dirty dishes and offer us dessert. It never happened, so we left. The wait staff was simply too busy with other diners and too many tables. I also had a breakfast in Luminae where I was seated and given no attention for quite awhile, when it was normal to be offered coffee and pastries before ordering. 
Room steward was overworked as well. We loved the ship and the employees could not have been nicer. I just think they have cut the staff and overworked them to the point that the level of service they are giving is suffering.

• Like 6

On 11/27/2023 at 2:43 PM, horseymike said:

IMHO the overall beverage service has declined since the advent of the drink packages.

At many locations, bars , pools , show room etc……Just think about it, the drinks are paid for in advance along with the 20 % gratuity, less drinks served = more $$$$ for the cruise line.

Before drink packages became popular, you could not walk 6 feet on a ship without a beverage server asking you if you would like a drink .

So true and since they have our $$$ why should they care!  Sad!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tudy said:

To the OP

Thanks for posting. I am in the situation that I am cruising the Apex next week with 3 of my brothers and their wives. One couple has cruised Celebrity several times. Another brother and his wife are avid Carnival cruisers but went on the Apex with us in February and were blown away. The third brother has never cruised, never wanted to cruise--don't even ask and is coming on this cruise only because "blown away brother" is paying for his cruise.

So your impressions will help me manage expectations. And I really do think that it is all about managing expectations. For "blown away brother" I just told him, "It's a nice ship. I think you will like it."

Now I just hope "blown away brother" hasn't built up the expectations of "Never gonna Cruise" brother to the point where he will be disgruntled.😉

I do have a tendency to build up a a cruise to new cruisers or new to Celebrity.  My DW is always telling my to temper my enthusiasm.  Smart woman.

Rollie

We were on the Apex in a sky suite a few months ago.  Did a b/2/b.  It was probably the best celebrity cruise we have ever taken- loved Eden and the Steak house.  I thought all was great.  Yes, the Martini bar was crowded, but still great drinks and bartenders.  If the soap dispenser was low- the cabin attendent refilled- if we wanted additional towels, we asked.  

• Like 2

On 11/27/2023 at 10:58 AM, OCSC Mike said:

Their complaint seemed to be shipwide but good to know. I've never sailed Celebrity and have no plans to, just thought I'd share.

Then why do you read posts in this forum?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Tudy said:

Never gonna cruise brother may need an attitude adjustment if he complains about a paid for cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2