Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Chatted with them in Schooner. They recognized JD. Kept asking us 'Where is Bucky?'

Be warned, they are out to snap your photo 📸 

Eeeeeekkk!!  Run and hide...run and hide!  😲😱🤣

Edited by island lady
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

We have been discussing this.  You had to create a new wifi login?  You couldn't use your old one?  I've always been able to use the same one, cruise after cruise after cruise.

I use the same one as well, though have to set it up again during TAD as new user...not just log in.  

8 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Well, I'm onboard and the weather is decent

FWIW, the storm was the during the egg drop and lasted about 20 minutes, but we didn't even feel it in Centrum

Is that believable now

The types that are overdoing the whole event are the ones that really know the truth...since they were not on the ship and are the real authority there.  😄 😅

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, island lady said:

I use the same one as well, though have to set it up again during TAD as new user...not just log in.  

Used to be, on a B2B , if you tried to use the same userid on the next cruise, it showed up as already in use, pick a new one. The names were not being erased between cruises.  Now they are. Use the same name over again.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, kernow said:

Thanks to all those onboard who are posting, really enjoying reading about your adventures.

I have a question for those who say they give their drink vouchers to the crew, are they allowed to drink on duty? I always thought they weren't. Years ago we were doing a b2b on Brilliance and had the most fantastic waiter, one day he suddenly disappeared, it turned out he had been dismissed and sent home. No one would tell us why (I don't think the other waiters knew) but the speculation was either alcohol or gambling. I remember them telling us that the crew could be breathalysed at any time and even off duty they were only allowed to have a very low level of alcohol in their blood. Having more could be a sackable offence.

Previous to that we had given any unused bottles of wine to our cabin steward but we stopped when we heard that.

That is what we were told as well.  By the concierge in the Concierge lounge.  We have teased them a lot that we would buy them a drink, but told us the same thing.  Though we have indeed given bottles of wine away to them.  It's while they are on duty they can't drink. 

They do drink plenty when off duty...oh yeah......big time.  Ellen from Chops was a little "pooky" from our overnight in BA.  She told me her and a group of crew members had a really good time that night, coming back at 3 am.  😉   And of course...there is the "Crew Bar"...they really know how to party there.  But I was told the drinks are expensive in there for them to buy, so most of them drink in their cabins.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting route all the ships have to follow going back out before heading south.  Apparently deepest part of the huge river delta is along the northern coast of the long delta.  Channel markers all along the route, though many of them are missing their tops...becoming floating hull bashers available to discover.  😮  

Pilot left us around 6:30 am as I was doing my walk on deck 5.  Hmmm...much like the pilots on the Mississippi going up and back from NO I suppose.  Stay on board all night.  Once we actually cleared the mouth, we went way out east before heading south again.  Still following Celebrity Eclipse.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, island lady said:

Interesting route all the ships have to follow going back out before heading south.  Apparently deepest part of the huge river delta is along the northern coast of the long delta.  Channel markers all along the route, though many of them are missing their tops...becoming floating hull bashers available to discover.  😮  

Pilot left us around 6:30 am as I was doing my walk on deck 5.  Hmmm...much like the pilots on the Mississippi going up and back from NO I suppose.  Stay on board all night.  Once we actually cleared the mouth, we went way out east before heading south again.  Still following Celebrity Eclipse.  

I call that walk my morning ship's inspection. I love noticing all those kind of details, thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kernow said:

Thanks to all those onboard who are posting, really enjoying reading about your adventures.

I have a question for those who say they give their drink vouchers to the crew, are they allowed to drink on duty? I always thought they weren't. Years ago we were doing a b2b on Brilliance and had the most fantastic waiter, one day he suddenly disappeared, it turned out he had been dismissed and sent home. No one would tell us why (I don't think the other waiters knew) but the speculation was either alcohol or gambling. I remember them telling us that the crew could be breathalysed at any time and even off duty they were only allowed to have a very low level of alcohol in their blood. Having more could be a sackable offence.

Previous to that we had given any unused bottles of wine to our cabin steward but we stopped when we heard that.

Depends on their position. Apparently the entertainment staff can, crew can not.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, island lady said:

Of course being the old farts we are...we take our morning vitamin supplements to enjoy at breakfast.  Pink pill pack for me, blue for Bucky...of course.  😄 

I pre-package mine a month at a time.

About time to refill them

20240107_101135.thumb.jpg.5690c81be4e47acf6b5b6ca734407a76.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jasukkie said:

I call that walk my morning ship's inspection. I love noticing all those kind of details, thanks for sharing. 

I am not a night person by any means...definitely morning for me as sun rises.  Best time for a walk for me, not crowded and not as hot.  And like you...love to see the day come to life, trying to observe what comes to light.  🤗

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

I am not a night person by any means...definitely morning for me as sun rises.  Best time for a walk for me, not crowded and not as hot.  And like you...love to see the day come to life, trying to observe what comes to light.  🤗

Early morning on the ships is such an awesome time of day. Fortunately, many people sleep through it or it would not so as nice a time as it is.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

Wow!  😮 

I take just two week long pill packers, refilling every 2 weeks.  These are my night time meds,  single pack supplements in the morning day by day.  It does help keep us on track!  😉 

On 1/6/2024 at 6:36 AM, cruise wizard said:

Paula and Jim, Mean Mary and I hope that you have a fantastic cruise(s). We will be following the thread and taking care of things back here in Florida. Bon Voyage!!!!

Hi Gary (and Mean (Lovely) Mary)!  Thank you for the well wishes!  Long time, no see!  Hope you are both doing well!

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 8:12 AM, island lady said:

Last night's cooking experience tour was the best so far! 

20240105_175625.jpg

I am so glad you had a great time in your cooking class!  From your photos, it looks like it was a lot of fun!  This picture of Bucky is priceless! 

• Haha 1

Was able to keep our same table in the MDR for this next leg (first traditional dining 5:30), but our fantastic wait team of King and Melissa were moved.  Drats....Melissa came by the table to say hello last night, they are now on the other side in a busy foot traffic area.  She told me they tried to stay where they were, but were over ruled.  We miss them, but do like our new team too.    

Though, through no fault of their own (I blame the bartender in the dining room bar/closet) you do not try to substitute Robert Mondavi SB for my Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc without telling me.  I know the difference.  They had to admit they were out of the Kim Crawford...again.  

Later took this up with GS and politely let them know what I thought about the out of stock situation.  We had 2 full days at Buenos Aires, which is a big embarkation port, with huge freight yards all around us and a constant stream of importation.  Got a call from F&B manager in my cabin an hour later to apologize for the situation.  He told me they took on multiple pallets of Kim Crawford in port and were working on distribution to the lounges and restaurant.  Hopefully back in business again!!  

Update to follow.  😉   

Pinnacle "Cheers with an officer" lunch today.  Will try to be brave and order the steak again....maybe get lucky this time.  Bucky's was good last time, mine horrible.  And I am bringing my own glass of wine from the fresh stock they sent me on TAD.  😄 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, pstone1 said:

I am so glad you had a great time in your cooking class!  From your photos, it looks like it was a lot of fun!  This picture of Bucky is priceless! 

Indeed he likes to "ham it up" for the camera.  😄 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, seadog129 said:

Looking forward to joining the cruise in Barcelona to Copenhagen.

Last January we went to Antarctica with Hurtigruten with boots on the ice and Iguazu Falls for two days, tomorrow we leave for Oslo for a 12 night cruise to the North Cape then to Bergen for the Northern Lights also with Hurtigruten, currently 0 degrees in Oslo. Next January we are sticking with the Caribbean.

Did you have to be in the lottery system for shore excursions?  I have seen that on a few reviews with Hurtigruten?

Yesterday, we went on the ship’s “Gaucho Traditions” Tour.  It was excellent!  We began with an empanada and wine, and never stopped eating and drinking!  The food was delicious, and we were allowed as many bottles of wine or beers as we wanted!

The ranch was beautiful (I will try to post photos)!  We took a horse drawn wagon ride, saw a Show with Tango Dancers, Musicians, a Singer, and a bit of Bolo entertainment!  Then, we all went outside for the Gaucho Games!  We had a great group and a lot of fun!

IMG_0494.jpeg

IMG_0516.jpeg

IMG_0541.jpeg

IMG_0573.jpeg

IMG_0586.jpeg

• Like 27

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Yup...same with your bro.  Started there, then over 20 years working in power plants as a consultant ........both did him in.  Bucky just asked me if you get your aids from the VA?  Bucky does and is very happy with them.  He is pretty deaf, and has to go twice a year for hearing exams.  And he can reach up and turn them down to tune out loud obnoxious people.  Lucky him there.  😉 

I do get them through the VA. Replacements every 4 to 5 years. Mine also come with a remote (never use it) for adjustments but I adjust mine like Bucky does. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

We use tiny plastic pill bags.  It’s a pain before we take a long trip to fill them all ( 2 for each of us per day) but then we can take them in a pocket to a meal easier.  Coming up on a 60 day trip here and will be trying to figure out if this will still work. TBD.
For a 9 month cruise you’d have to just take all the various bottles and refill like you’re doing. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We use tiny plastic pill bags.  It’s a pain before we take a long trip to fill them all ( 2 for each of us per day) but then we can take them in a pocket to a meal easier.  Coming up on a 60 day trip here and will be trying to figure out if this will still work. TBD.
For a 9 month cruise you’d have to just take all the various bottles and refill like you’re doing. 

Exactly what we do.  You can fit many days of the pill pockets into a small ziplock storage bag.  We do Vitamins in the pill packets also.  Very convenient. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pstone1 said:

Yesterday, we went on the ship’s “Gaucho Traditions” Tour.  It was excellent!  We began with an empanada and wine, and never stopped eating and drinking!  The food was delicious, and we were allowed as many bottles of wine or beers as we wanted!

The ranch was beautiful (I will try to post photos)!  We took a horse drawn wagon ride, saw a Show with Tango Dancers, Musicians, a Singer, and a bit of Bolo entertainment!  Then, we all went outside for the Gaucho Games!  We had a great group and a lot of fun!

IMG_0494.jpeg

IMG_0516.jpeg

IMG_0541.jpeg

IMG_0573.jpeg

IMG_0586.jpeg

Great pictures Paula and Jim!  Thanks for sharing!  🙂