Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

46 minutes ago, cruise1957 said:

I think you are doing a fabulous job, I'm really enjoying them.

Thanks...I am really enjoying this venture into the strait...we are now heading back out of Paradise Bay.  Quite a few other smaller cruise ships in here. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Hey, I’m silently following along but just have to say I think you’re doing a fantastic job!  Professional or not, you’re sharing photos of sights and locales many of us may never experience. 

Thank you to you as well.  So nice of you to chime in. 🙂 

2 minutes ago, fla33023 said:

We can find professional shots all over the internet. It's so cool to see these sights "with" you. Thank you for taking the time to post. I appreciate Bucky not being totally annoyed with it as well!

Thanks...and no...he does not seem to mind.  Gets kick out of it most times...as he is a bit of a camera ham.  😉 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I see the Captain is still sailing the ship around the islands? Is it still light out ? can you still see stuff? Are there plans to cruise around the islands again tomorrow or are you all heading North to the Falkland Island tonight?

Here is a photo from 9:16 pm.  Tomorrow is Elephant Island.

IMG_7050.thumb.jpeg.083c615d4ff83de268aec909bd96b281.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Here's a photo I took with my iPhone 12 mini in Paradise Bay today.  For perspective, in the distance if you squint you can see the Celebrity Eclipse (looks like a dark gray rectangle).  

Antarctica185.JPG

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Once again...you are the king of photos.  😉   Me...I have only just learned to even post photos...and not doing a good job of it.  Sigh....  

you are doing an excellent job. Your photos are outstanding😍

Edited by orville99
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Once again...you are the king of photos.  😉   Me...I have only just learned to even post photos...and not doing a good job of it.  Sigh....  

I agree with others your pictures are great.  So many of us may never see these sights thank you for sharing them and letting us live vicariously through you and your pictures.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

You are doing an awesome job!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks...I am really enjoying this venture into the strait...we are now heading back out of Paradise Bay.  Quite a few other smaller cruise ships in here. 

For some reason I had imagined Serenade being all by itself in that part of the world. I'm not sure why I pictured it that way.

Are people getting a crystal block for every 70 day mark or just one for the cruise? The block you posted looks really nice.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

For some reason I had imagined Serenade being all by itself in that part of the world. I'm not sure why I pictured it that way.

Are people getting a crystal block for every 70 day mark or just one for the cruise? The block you posted looks really nice.

10 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I had the same misconception 

When you go on cruise sites, search Antarctica.

There are lots of ships/cruiselines  that travel in that region. Just Royal Caribbean is not one of them.

7 hours ago, island lady said:

Oh wow!!  Both of the Viking expedition ships are here close by!!  We are on Octantis next year for 5 weeks going through Great Lakes, St. Lawrence Seaway, Greenland, and NW passage.  Hope I see them when we pull around the corner!!  

We see the Viking ships sail past us at our summer place on the St.Clair river when they do the Great Lakes. They look so majestic cruising down the river. I always try and go down to the river to see them. I’ll wave to you!  🙂. Yet another fabulous adventure you’ll have on the Octantis. 
Have loved following you on this adventure. I’ll never get there myself so it’s been amazing you sharing your photos and the experience. 
Thank you 

Jenni 

IMG_5510.jpeg

IMG_5511.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

37 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I had the same misconception 

People are traveling to Antartica in record numbers the past 2 years, over 100K each year up from 70K pre pandemic.  Much is being written lately about the danger of overtourism in such a fragile environment.  It's such a short cruise season and with the increasing demand, there certainly are a lot of ships sailing.  I'm surprised to see 8 ships in one day in such a small area though.  No wonder people are concerned.  

• Like 4

On 1/11/2024 at 6:31 PM, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Be sure to seek the advice of your doctor.  The patches are contraindicated with some pretty common health conditions, as is dramamine, for those with heart problems.   In other words, don't take meds based on us armchair docs on a cruise forum using similar! 😉 

I had scopolamine patches prescribed years ago, on earliest cruises, but I think I remember them being taken off the market in the US. I was just curious whether they're available again. They worked great for me, (except for dry mouth), but since then I've done fine with OTC products.

11 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

I had scopolamine patches prescribed years ago, on earliest cruises, but I think I remember them being taken off the market in the US. I was just curious whether they're available again. They worked great for me, (except for dry mouth), but since then I've done fine with OTC products.

They are available.

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, cruiselover04 said:

We see the Viking ships sail past us at our summer place on the St.Clair river when they do the Great Lakes. They look so majestic cruising down the river. I always try and go down to the river to see them. 

Jenni 

IMG_5510.jpeg

IMG_5511.jpeg

That night photo is AMAZING!!!  I know right where you were when you took it - I live on the other side of the river. I never seemed to be near the river when they came thru but saw many photos after the fact.  None of the photos were as good as yours.

Edited by frosty52
  • Like 4

Thank you all for your wonderful photos and commentary.

I'm not a cold weather person and have never had any desire to go to Antarctica but it's going on my bucket list now, it looks amazing.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I assume so.  We were just coming to a 70 point mark, I guess.   Was not really keeping track of that.  Was prepared to just give the blocks away, being a duplicate for Serenade,  as we have all of the others from this ship.  Then I saw how different and unique it was...so I am keeping it.  😉 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, LadyZolt said:

Here's a photo I took with my iPhone 12 mini in Paradise Bay today.  For perspective, in the distance if you squint you can see the Celebrity Eclipse (looks like a dark gray rectangle).  

Antarctica185.JPG

though indeed the Eclipse was in there with us (actually a bit crowded with ships) I think that was actually "World Traveler"  She has a dark blue hull. Had never heard of her...so I googled it.  Very new ship, actually quite pretty.   Elite all inclusive yacht style.  She slipped around us while we were sitting in Paradise Bay.  

ifications of World Traveller

Year of build 2022  /  Age: 2
Flag state  Madeira
Builder WestSEA Shipyard (Viana do Castelo, Portugal)
Class ice-strengthened expedition ship
Building cost EUR 70 million (USD 80 million)
Speed 16 kn / 30 km/h / 18 mph
Length (LOA) 126 m / 413 ft
Beam (width) 19 m / 62 ft
Gross Tonnage 9934 gt
Passengers 196 - 200
Crew 130
Decks 8
Cabins 98
Decks with cabins 3
Sister-ships World Adventurer, World Explorer, World Discoverer, World Navigator, World Seeker, World Voyager
Christened by Theresa Scalzitti
Owner Mystic Invest Holding via Mystic Cruises USA
Operator Nicko Cruises, Atlas Ocean Voyages

• Like 1