Celebrity Molester

Denversail

4 hours ago, Denversail said:

The first time we sailed with our entire Family in 2012 (Adult Children & Spouses and 8 Grandchildren) Grandkids ages were 3,5,5,5,6,11,11@13). It would have have never occurred to my husband and me that anything this unconscoinable could happen on a cruise ship.

Fortunately we did everything as a Family and our Grandkids were never out of any of the 8 adults site at any time.     

Edited by Loracpin2
additions
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bikerunner said:

Unfortuneatly this can happen anyplace anytime. Wish it wouldnt. I just hope child is safe and families can heal 

Yes, this. I am not sure what kind of background checks Celebrity has for employees that work with children.  This world can be really messed up.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Newdoc2002 said:

Yes, this. I am not sure what kind of background checks Celebrity has for employees that work with children.  This world can be really messed up.

As a criminal defense attorney, I suggest not rushing to judgment.  That's why we have courts and a presumption of innocence. I have had cases where "news" outlet reports were not even closely accurate.  That said, nowhere is 100% safe, so common sense and reasonableness rarely goes amiss.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

As a criminal defense attorney, I suggest not rushing to judgment.  That's why we have courts and a presumption of innocence. I have had cases where "news" outlet reports were not even closely accurate.  That said, nowhere is 100% safe, so common sense and reasonableness rarely goes amiss.

Fair enough.  But a vlog I just saw reported that, when questioned by the OP, the child molester not only admitted the assaults, but admitted to other assaults on minors. Given that, I don't think there is any rush to judgement here. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

If Celebrity hasn't already, they need to contact every parent who had a child participate in Camp at Sea during the sailings this monster was employed and alert them that this crime took place.  There could easily be additional victims.  

• Like 2

I would hold off on rushing to judgement of Celebrity. I worked as a youth counselor for Celebrity about 15  years ago and to be hired they did an extensive background check and required all youth staff to have a college degree or equivalent depending on the country. Also the kids program area had more cameras than any other part of the ship for specifically that reason. They even taught us things like if a  kid was struggling to button their pant after using the bathroom to have the kid stand in front of the camera make all your motions very obvious so there could be no question what was happening. Now that is not to say that they cant learn from this or that their standards could have lessened over the years. They should be able to talk about how they are going to ensure it doesn’t happen again. But unfortunately things like this do happen in all kinds of places because unfortunately you sometimes dont know someone is a monster until they do something monstrous. Also just a general disclaimer, just because a guy likes working with kids isn’t suspicious. All the guys I worked with were good people, myself included, never hurt any kids. 

Edited by georgiaguy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, SusieAV8R said:

The perp admitted it to the FBI agent.   And, Celebrity does not deny it.  

Edited by Cap_D

11 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

I would hold off on rushing to judgement of Celebrity. I worked as a youth counselor for Celebrity about 15  years ago and to be hired they did an extensive background check and required all youth staff to have a college degree or equivalent depending on the country. Also the kids program area had more cameras than any other part of the ship for specifically that reason. They even taught us things like if a  kid was struggling to button their pant after using the bathroom to have the kid stand in front of the camera make all your motions very obvious so there could be no question what was happening. Now that is not to say that they cant learn from this or that their standards could have lessened over the years.

Thanks for posting this.

I was about to post the same about what my daughter (BA/MAT at the time) was told about the Royal Caribbean Corporate  policy for  employment in the youth programs on board their ship.

She was also told fingerprints would be needed for that in depth background check.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Thanks for posting this.

I was about to post the same about what my daughter (BA/MAT at the time) was told about the Royal Caribbean Corporate  policy for  employment in the youth programs on board their ship.

She was also told fingerprints would be needed for that in depth background check.

I'm curious if countries like the Philippines keep high enough quality records to do a useful background check. 

One of a parent’s worst nightmares. 

So sorry for that child & her family and the likely others involved. Apparently more video cameras may be needed as well as someone actually checking the videos. This did not come out until a 6-year-old reported it.  Was anyone checking the videos regularly? How long had this guy been supervising kids on this and other ships? Especially horrifying when there’s a new batch of young kids who were exposed to him weekly.  

On 12/8/2023 at 10:44 AM, sanger727 said:

I'm curious if countries like the Philippines keep high enough quality records to do a useful background check. 

Most, if not all of the youth club employees are from “western” countries so background checks are easier. 

Edited by peterde

Horrifying. Hopefully Celebrity in their due diligence in conducting background checks and thoroughly investigating and potential complaints/suspicious behavior if there were reports. Unfortunately, those kinds of things are only effective if someone has been caught before... if it was their first time or they've been able to get away with it somehow, a background check won't do anything.

Just makes me sick to think about it.