Realistically, How Many Will Wear Tuxedos on a 12-Night Panama Canal Princess Cruise?

Smokeyham

11 hours ago, Potstech said:

And how did you come up with those numbers?  And how large of a sample does it cover?

I got decent coverage. I visited all the formal photo lines (and was standing in several of them with my family to try to get some nice portraits) on each of the three formal nights. I also walked completely around our dining room and the areas around the Crown Grill, showroom, and other public areas both before and after we ate on each of the formal nights.  This was last year so all there were actually called "formal." They aren't any longer. Admittedly, the places I went would have attracted the more formally dressed and I didn't visit the buffet, so there might have been some more casually dressed folks up there. Emerald Princess was 2/3 full and a quite old crowd so likely dressier than many other cruises. Overall the dress leaned more formal than I expected and noticeably more than 7-day cruises we've been on.

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Does it matter! At least @EconDocgave a more relevant answer to the OP's actual question compared to many other replies.

Thanks. I do think it's useful to let people know they are still welcome to wear tuxes. They won't be in the majority, but they won't be alone, either. I think the women dressed up a bit more than the men on the canal transit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EconDoc said:
1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Thanks. I do think it's useful to let people know they are still welcome to wear tuxes.

Interesting ... I'm not sure I've even seen a single post where someone stated tuxes / formal wear were not welcome on Princess ships ...

now about those shorts ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Esprit said:

Does it matter! At least @EconDocgave a more relevant answer to the OP's actual question compared to many other replies.

Yes it does matter. No one is saying mot to wear a tux. It is a matter of choice according to what the benue allows.

Edited by Potstech

A true Formal night went by the waste side when they implemented Anytime dining.  My SIL and BIL always sail Princess on 7 day Caribbean itineraries and alway dress formal. Me on the other hand have conformed to a dress shirt and slacks. Celebrity doesn't even call them formal nights anymore. I think Princess is only kidding themselves.

On 12/28/2023 at 11:41 AM, Iamcruzin said:

A true Formal night went by the waste side when they implemented Anytime dining.  My SIL and BIL always sail Princess on 7 day Caribbean itineraries and alway dress formal. Me on the other hand have conformed to a dress shirt and slacks. Celebrity doesn't even call them formal nights anymore. I think Princess is only kidding themselves.

I think the demise of formal nights was the disappearance of the option to rent a tuxedo onboard.

Less than half of American men own a suit of any kind much less a tuxedo. The odds of everyone complying with the requested dress of dark suit or tuxedo on formal nights is pretty low, especially on sailings from North America.

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Nineteen days and this thread is still going. Not hard to believe. It would be interesting to know what the longest lived formal night dress code thread has been. Not that I'm willing to do the research ...

One of the great things about being retired is that one has the time to investigate when curious.

Searched thread titles for words like tuxedo, formal and dress code. The longest had Dress Code in the title and started January 14th this year by wannagonow123 and closed by cjskids with 340 posts Feb 8th after a post from Bgwest. Twenty four days.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"One of the great things about being retired is that one has the time to investigate when curious.

Searched thread titles for words like tuxedo, formal and dress code. The longest had Dress Code in the title and started January 14th this year by wannagonow123 and closed by cjskids with 340 posts Feb 8th after a post from Bgwest. Twenty four days."

oh say it ain't soooo  .... lol 🤣

Just now, beg3yrs said:

Jealous? For this retired person it's not too much time rather not enough budget!

Nope.  I'm in my mid 30s and because of remote work as a result of the pandemic me and my friends have been able to spend plenty of time on cruise ships.  Most of the retired of jealous of us because according to them they actually had to show up to work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

Nineteen days and this thread is still going. Not hard to believe. It would be interesting to know what the longest lived formal night dress code thread has been. Not that I'm willing to do the research ...

And I am sure it will take less than 19 days for another Formal Dress Code thread to start when this one is eventually retired.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I think the demise of formal nights was the disappearance of the option to rent a tuxedo onboard.

Less than half of American men own a suit of any kind much less a tuxedo. The odds of everyone complying with the requested dress of dark suit or tuxedo on formal nights is pretty low, especially on sailings from North America.

I couldn't agree more. We didn't even rent tuxedos when my son got married a few years ago. The grooms men purchased waist coats from amazon and my 2 sons and I rented Navy suits. I own 2 suits and pray they fit by the time the next wedding or funeral rolls around.

• Haha 1

I was just on the Emerald Princess, 14 day Caribbean cruise, & did an informal survey as to what if Princess enforced it & most people felt that the MDR would be practically empty. 

What do other people feel it it was enforced?

Tom🤔

9 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

8 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

One of the great things about being retired is that one has the time to investigate when curious.

Searched thread titles for words like tuxedo, formal and dress code. The longest had Dress Code in the title and started January 14th this year by wannagonow123 and closed by cjskids with 340 posts Feb 8th after a post from Bgwest. Twenty four days.

6 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

And I am sure it will take less than 19 days for another Formal Dress Code thread to start when this one is eventually retired.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the deleted Formal Night/Dress "Code" threads were longer than quoted above.  I would say far more threads in this topic area have bene outright deleted versus those that might be gathering cobwebs in the historical bracket.  They used to get outright heated at times, but seems much calmer in the past year as things seem firmly in the situation where guests can wear what suits them (within reason hopefully).  Dress up if you like.  Go Smart Casual if you like.

But, it is true that it doesn't take very long for a new thread to start up if the most recent one is either locked or falls down into bottom Page 2 or older.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 10:24 AM, EconDoc said:

This was last year so all there were actually called "formal." They aren't any longer.

Are you suggesting a wholesale change has been made?  Last I knew, at least one night was labeled "Forma'", with some instances of "Dress to Impress" for the second night. 

If PCL stops calling these nights "Formal", then the associated dress recommendations appear to be moot since there is no night to which they apply.  That said, on Princess you can go formal anytime that suits your fancy and also go Smart Casual if that is preferred.  I can appreciate that folks make various personal choices and it's all good.  But let's have a modicum of decent dress for dinner since we aren't going to Micky D's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Are you suggesting a wholesale change has been made?  Last I knew, at least one night was labeled "Forma'", with some instances of "Dress to Impress" for the second night. 

If PCL stops calling these nights "Formal", then the associated dress recommendations appear to be moot since there is no night to which they apply.  That said, on Princess you can go formal anytime that suits your fancy and also go Smart Casual if that is preferred.  I can appreciate that folks make various personal choices and it's all good.  But let's have a modicum of decent dress for dinner since we aren't going to Micky D's.

I’ve seen every combination. The full canal transit still has three nights labeled formal. 7-day itineraries seem to have one formal and one dress to impress. I’ve seen some shorter one with only one dress to impress. 

12 hours ago, trbarton said:

What do other people feel it it was enforced?

Since there is no requirement, only a recommendation, there cannot be enforcement.

Their ship, their restaurant, their call.

The only non-negotiable is that shoes must be worn and that I wholly agree with for safety reasons.

Edited by mtnesterz

Just now, mtnesterz said:

Since there is no requirement, only a recommendation, there cannot be enforcement.

Their ship, their restaurant, their call.

The only non-negotiable is that shoes must be worn and that I wholly agree with for safety reasons.

I guess flip-flops are considered shoes?  Apparently, they meet safety requirements at breakfast and lunch; I see no reason that inner would be any more dangerous and the f-fs ought to fully satisfactory of that is the criterion.

23 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I guess flip-flops are considered shoes?  Apparently, they meet safety requirements at breakfast and lunch; I see no reason that inner would be any more dangerous and the f-fs ought to fully satisfactory of that is the criterion.

I tried to edit the shoe part from my post as I thought I'd have to explain it. Which by your post, I do. We've all heard glass and dishes breaking in the MDR. Not a comment on style. Protect your feet.

Edited by mtnesterz