Just off MSC Yacht Club, my thoughts

rollie

8 minutes ago, prmssk said:

MSC Yacht Club is quite a bit less expensive than Oceania in my experience. Additionally, you are talking comparing a small ship to a large ship which won’t be the same experience. 

Some of us like the smaller ships. 🙂   Better IMHO on many fronts.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Some of us like the smaller ships. 🙂   Better IMHO on many fronts.

I wasn’t trying to say one was better than the other. I just don’t think they are direct competitors because people’s preferences vary.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, prmssk said:

MSC Yacht Club is quite a bit less expensive than Oceania in my experience. Additionally, you are talking comparing a small ship to a large ship which won’t be the same experience. 

No, actually was asking why Oceania wasn't mentioned along with other small ships (I specifically mentioned Silversea and Regent).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jean87510 said:

It seems that particular ship was struggling in YC based on some recent reports.  

We will be on the MSC Divina YC in 9 days.  I'm looking forward to the experience as I just started booking the suite areas on RCCL and need comparisons.

I look forward to your review of your MSC Divina YC experience.  We are booked on her for February. 

9 hours ago, kr00t0n said:

I've not experienced MSC myself, but going from people's posts I get the feeling that the experience between the YC and normal passengers is far closer to the class segregation that people often complain about, whereas the general experience on Celebrity is roughly the same for non-Retreat guests as Retreat guests.

As in, you NEED to be in YC for MSC to be good, but Celebrity it good both in and out of The Retreat.

I’ve sailed MSC in and out of the YC…last two in YC..your take is spot on. YC or bust for me on MSC

• Like 2

On 12/17/2023 at 9:10 AM, RichYak said:

Unfortunately, I noticed a pronounced drop in service quality on my last Retreat sailing. I'm looking forward to my first MSC YC experience in March.

We just returned from our cruise on Beyond with great service in every area of the ship, along with the Retreat.  I just wasn’t used to being on a Caribbean cruise where it was so crowded in the regular areas, but not Retreat area, as we frequent both.  It was an excellent price, but I certainly would not do it again, even if the price was less.  I also found out that I missed being on the wake; however, walking from the aft on this particular cruise would have just added even more time to get anywhere for me.  The food in Luminae was so blah on 50% of the dinners, as we don’t do lunch or breakfast there because of so much sitting.  I am excited to try Oceania, but not 100% on loving it, so will enjoy the new and smaller ship experience, not to mention the food.  I think many of us are in transition, and there is nothing wrong with that!  I hope your experience is great, so please share!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I look forward to your review of your MSC Divina YC experience.  We are booked on her for February. 

Absolutely.  We have a 7 day starting the 28th then a 3 day.  Our 1st time on MSC and it's a little different already then Celebrity and Royal.  It's not a bad thing.  It's just little stuff where I'm saying, wait Celebrity does it this way...etc...  Only thing I don't like is no app for this ship. 🤨

6 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

Finding this thread to be very interesting.  I am wondering though why there aren't more mentions of Oceania as an alternative.  It seems to be a go-to line for many people I know who prefer the more upscale experience akin to Silversea or Regent.

Did Oceania in June for the first time, after my last Celebrity cruise in September on Reflection.Have to say the food was a step above and the free good coffee and soft drinks were very nice.But didn’t book another while on board as ship was too small and I can cruise two Celebrity cruises for less than 1 Oceania.Think we need to have value for money.

12 hours ago, kr00t0n said:

I've not experienced MSC myself, but going from people's posts I get the feeling that the experience between the YC and normal passengers is far closer to the class segregation that people often complain about, whereas the general experience on Celebrity is roughly the same for non-Retreat guests as Retreat guests.

As in, you NEED to be in YC for MSC to be good, but Celebrity it good both in and out of The Retreat.

Truer words never spoken.  Our first YC experience was right after covid and the ship was only at 25% occupancy so there wasn't a big difference between YC and non-YC areas on the ship. 

The second one was over NYE a year ago.  You couldn't pay me enough $$ to leave the YC area!

6 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

Finding this thread to be very interesting.  I am wondering though why there aren't more mentions of Oceania as an alternative.  It seems to be a go-to line for many people I know who prefer the more upscale experience akin to Silversea or Regent.

We have done suites on all 3 lines, X, MSC and Oceania,  While Oceania had an area for suites that had coffees and juices and snacks, it wasn't that nice, an interior space.  And I don't recall any other suite only areas.  The cabin was very nice (PH if I remember correctly, but nowhere near as nice as a PH on X).  There was no special dining venue for suites. 

For us, it does not compare to YC or X Retreat.  But the price was much better (well this was Dec 2021, it may be higher now).  It is the same reason why to us, suites on cruise lines that don't offer what YC and X offer, we don't bother with.  Why pay all of that extra $$ for just a larger cabin (thinking about HAL and Princess and others).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lastdance said:

We just returned from our cruise on Beyond with great service in every area of the ship, along with the Retreat.  I just wasn’t used to being on a Caribbean cruise where it was so crowded in the regular areas, but not Retreat area, as we frequent both.  It was an excellent price, but I certainly would not do it again, even if the price was less.  I also found out that I missed being on the wake; however, walking from the aft on this particular cruise would have just added even more time to get anywhere for me.  The food in Luminae was so blah on 50% of the dinners, as we don’t do lunch or breakfast there because of so much sitting.  I am excited to try Oceania, but not 100% on loving it, so will enjoy the new and smaller ship experience, not to mention the food.  I think many of us are in transition, and there is nothing wrong with that!  I hope your experience is great, so please share!

We had an aft corner suite on beyond, balcony was great but we rarely used it since we spend most our time in the retreat which is a long walk from aft . Did a penthouse on edge which is a few feet from Luminae which was amazing (move up)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Muushka said:

For us, it does not compare to YC or X Retreat.  But the price was much better (well this was Dec 2021, it may be higher now).  It is the same reason why to us, suites on cruise lines that don't offer what YC and X offer, we don't bother with.  Why pay all of that extra $$ for just a larger cabin (thinking about HAL and Princess and others).

A PH1 on Oceania is more like a Sky Suite on Celebrity.  I booked the new Vista in a PH1; it does have a special area for Concierge and above on this new ship, but I haven't cruised yet, so cannot share more information.  I have always heard the food is excellent in most of the venues.  We got at excellent price on a TA from Miami to Portugal.  We are also adding time in Algarve!  We've been to Portugal before, but never the southern part with all the beautiful cliffs and caves.  I paid $350 per day.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

A PH1 on Oceania is more like a Sky Suite on Celebrity.  I booked the new Vista in a PH1; it does have a special area for Concierge and above on this new ship, but I haven't cruised yet, so cannot share more information.  I have always heard the food is excellent in most of the venues.  We got at excellent price on a TA from Miami to Portugal.  We are also adding time in Algarve!  We've been to Portugal before, but never the southern part with all the beautiful cliffs and caves.  I paid $350 per day.

That is what we stayed in, a PH1.  I actually thought it was a bit nicer than a SS on X.  I loved the decor and colors,  We were on the Riviera.  I think you're right, that area I described was for concierge and above.  The cookies were the worst we have ever had at sea!  We did enjoy the dining but it is the same for all pax.  We liked Luminae and YC just a little bit more.  But O had a great buffet area.  And nice, calm pax.  Not to be confused with MSC outside the YC.

Enjoy that TA!  I hope you enjoy your PH suite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/17/2023 at 9:22 AM, rollie said:

Service is where Yacht Club lagged way behind Celebrity.  The restaurant was especially slow.  Now wine stewards and waiter were not very friendly.

Rollie

we loved our wine sommelier... he worked the dinner crowd like a vegas pro

• Like 1

one observation i gleaned from the forum is that MSC will not refund TA OBC. im so glad i read that. TA called MSC and confirmed so TA is mailing me a check after my YC meraviglia cruise.  should be ez to burn thru the small MSC OBC they are giving me though.

and now with that fear of not getting OBC i told my TA to mail me a check for my ascent cruise as it's 2300 and no way do i wanna lose that. it's gonna be hard enough to get the 800 of X OBC out of the slots from what ive read.

• Like 1

Just got off the Celebrity Beyond almost two weeks ago.  Wife and I were in the Retreat  and were disappointed in the experience.  The pricing of the Retreat is insane for the value received.  Luminae was nothing to write home about but the service was very good. We have been sailing Celebrity for 15 years but now they have kicked their loyal customers to the curb with their cutbacks and ridiculous pricing.  So today we booked a 12 day trip in the Virtuosa's YC.  I am expecting a great experience.  Sometimes change is good and this past loyal Celebrity customer is looking forward to this trip.

• Like 3

Did World Europa in June in the YC.  While we did go to the shows (most were ok, especially the singers), play pool at the Master of the Seas pub, and do the 11 deck Venom dry slide, we mostly stayed in the YC during our port-heavy Med cruise.  We did a couple of specialty restaurants, but none were good compared to what we have in the Bay Area for Asian, Mexican and Steak.  What makes YC a hit is the service.  We ate at the same table just about every night in the YC restaurant, and thus had the same stewards.  They knew all our desires by heart by the second day and so the service was awesome.  In the Top Sail Lounge, I would walk in and they would greet me with "Would you like your signature Woodford's Manhattan, sir?"  I haven't had that sort of treatment even at the couple of times I've gotten deals to stay at the Four Seasons. 

Outside the YC, the pool and buffet can be a madhouse in the afternoons on sea days.  At those times, I would retreat to the YC to the available lounge chairs in the shade at the private pool, followed by canapes and drinks in the late afternoon in the TSL.  I can understand some of the comments by folks not in YC or who like to make multiple changes to their itinerary.  We used a travel agency, didn't make any changes, and had zero issues with MSC.  We plan to do more YC MSC trips in the future using the same strategy and expect to have a great experience.

On 12/17/2023 at 10:29 AM, rollie said:

We were on the Seashore out of Port Canaveral for a 3 day cruise.  The cruise was full with about 4000 guests.  We've only been in Sky Suites on Celebrity, and we had a Deluxe Suite on the Seashore, a comparable cabin.  Storage and balcony were superior on MCS, but cabin outlets were much better on Celebrity.  The bathroom was better on Celebrity.  The sundeck on MSC was by far the most enjoyable part of the cruise.

Rollie

From our waiters on our past YC cruises, they explained they get frustrated on the 3- and 4-day cruises because they don't get a chance to really know their guests and provide the true YC experience. as on a 7-day. For example, after the second day, there was a bottle of the Robert Mondavi Chardonnay waiting at our table when we arrived. In addition, they knew we liked the assorted cheese platter as an appetizer vs as a dessert and automatically brought it with the bread/rolls without us having to ask after the first couple of nights. Even out on the pool deck, the butlers learned I like my Grey Goose Cosmos and would bring me one as soon as they saw me come up to the pool deck and settle into my chair.

So I'd recommend trying the YC again on a 7-day cruise, if you get a chance, and see if you experience an elevated level of service!

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 12:03 PM, DaKahuna said:

+1!  We are booked on her at the end of March in YC. Looking forward to hearing your review/thoughts!

19 hours ago, ALANG said:

Just got off the Celebrity Beyond almost two weeks ago.  Wife and I were in the Retreat  and were disappointed in the experience.  The pricing of the Retreat is insane for the value received.  Luminae was nothing to write home about but the service was very good. We have been sailing Celebrity for 15 years but now they have kicked their loyal customers to the curb with their cutbacks and ridiculous pricing.  So today we booked a 12 day trip in the Virtuosa's YC.  I am expecting a great experience.  Sometimes change is good and this past loyal Celebrity customer is looking forward to this trip.

We have done six celebrity aqua class cruises and loved them too. But it seems now we are priced out. So we did cruise on the virtuoso in YC in 2021 and loved it.  Service was a little spotty in the YC restaurant but the food was good. But overall YC was wonderful, and the non YC parts of the ship were nice with some issues.  The gym was unusable due to being half the size it should be. The buffet was rather low quality so we stayed in for YC meals for lunch. 

On 12/22/2023 at 8:04 PM, ALANG said:

Totally agree we did beyond a year ago for about 3k for aft sky suite , this year it was way more than 4K a person. Did rccl grand suite instead for about 2.5 k