Surcharges for drinks in Retreat Lounge

TrueCruiseaholic

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

Well, the notion that a luxury line will be elevated in luxury relative to a mass market cruise line doesn’t take much research, does it?

Huh? We are talking about comparing a luxury level (Retreat) mass market cruise vs a full luxury line. Price, perks, etc. Sounds like some research could be very useful to me

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

Mer Soleil and Decoy are very far from upscale. 

We don't  know much about  wine.. and do not drink much compared to  others.  Sorry if I  am not familiar.. with brands or prices.  It all seems expensive to me.... compared to club soda and lime!

8 hours ago, hcat said:

These pricing changes mainly impact those who are into upscale wines and drinks,  but others may still book suites for other amenities, like Luminae, pool area, larger staterooms, priority embark and disembark.

Maybe demographics of pax will change in  new direction.???

Thankfully, we do not drink wine so this latest absurdity does not affect us —- but it certainly affects our decisions. This is just the latest in an almost year-long string of changes that reduce the value of an X cruise. The list is now too long to remember. And almost all done after someone has booked a cruise with a certain expectation of what the deal is. All accompanied by much much higher base prices and removal of previously included items for the future, which for us has the largest impact.

Cumulatively, they put X off our preferred list. They have dramatically reduced the value of their offerings.  Does it mean we will never cruise them? No. But it would take quite a deal to make us jump.

We have booked 2 Oceania cruises since the craziness started and are looking at Viking and Regent. Also booked the Xcel because we caught a great deal that lasted a matter of hours. 

We are on Ascent in 11 days and will see for ourselves. Having done a number of Retreat cruises since the restart we will have a good basis for comparison.

mac_tlc

• Like 2

9 hours ago, richczarnecki said:

Huh? We are talking about comparing a luxury level (Retreat) mass market cruise vs a full luxury line. Price, perks, etc. Sounds like some research could be very useful to me

Sy Syms, "an educated consumer is our best customer"--catchy phrase but appropriate.

One thing not mentioned , from my standpoint, was the "vibe" on board, at least S Class.

When the product pieces  wre  put together for the customer, it all felt good. Real Good.

Right now, X has "lost that loving feeling".  Bring Back that Loving Feeling, or we're gone gone gone.

Hat tip to the  Righteous Bros and Top Gun.

I have also moved on to other lines, and after my Summit sailing this weekend, I only have cruises booked with Silversea, Regent, and Windstar. 

My 5 night Summit sailing in a Sky Suite for two was about $4500 ($900/day), booked last summer. Thankfully it includes PDP, wifi, and gratuities.

For comparison, last fall, I booked a 7 night Alaska cruise in mid-June on Silver Muse for two for $11,000 ($1,375/day including the pre-cruise stay) in a Verandah stateroom. That fare includes:

- a private sedan from my home to the airport (and the same for my friend traveling with me from her home in another state) and a private sedan from the airport back home post-cruise

- economy flights to Vancouver and back from Anchorage for two (during the summer when those airfare prices are outrageous)

- a pre-cruise hotel stay at the Fairmont in Vancouver

- transfer to the ship

- 7 nights onboard with butler, gratuities, wifi, and true premium beverages (actual Champagne from Reims/Epernay)

- one excursion on each day in port

- railway transfer from Seward to Anchorage

For me, there's just so much more value in going with a truly all-included luxury line. I cancelled a November Summit sailing to try out Crystal last November, and it definitely convinced me Celebrity would be a thing of the past for me. The minibar was stocked with a beautiful bottle of red, white, and Champagne. My stateroom attendant was not overworked and came to my room at the same time each day, also getting ice for me twice a day (which is certainly impossible in a Sky Suite these days). Service was quicker all around due to no one having to charge anything. I used my room key only to get into my room...and that made my mind up. I was already fully paid for my sailing this weekend, but I chose to loose my $400 NRD and cancel my February Summit cruise because I couldn't justify the cost.

Duc du Valmer is trash. Period. The fact that they can't even put the decent Haslinger champagne in the room is sad. 

I'm very much looking forward to taking my carry on suitcase down to the Lounge to load up on water for the week when I board on Saturday (said with serious sarcasm).

I am in my late 30s and have no concerns about sailing on luxury lines with folks who are older than me. On my Crystal cruise, I met the greatest group of folks, and the oldest one in our group was the one who got me out of my shell and convinced me to sing karaoke!

Edited by tnm6217
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, tnm6217 said:

I have also moved on to other lines, and after my Summit sailing this weekend, I only have cruises booked with Silversea, Regent, and Windstar. 

My 5 night Summit sailing in a Sky Suite for two was about $4500 ($900/day), booked last summer. Thankfully it includes PDP, wifi, and gratuities.

For comparison, last fall, I booked a 7 night Alaska cruise in mid-June on Silver Muse for two for $11,000 ($1,375/day including the pre-cruise stay) in a Verandah stateroom. That fare includes:

- a private sedan from my home to the airport (and the same for my friend traveling with me from her home in another state) and a private sedan from the airport back home post-cruise

- economy flights to Vancouver and back from Anchorage for two (during the summer when those airfare prices are outrageous)

- transfer to the ship

- 7 nights onboard with butler, gratuities, wifi, and true premium beverages (actual Champagne from Reims/Epernay)

For me, there's just so much more value in going with a truly all-included luxury line. I cancelled a November Summit sailing to try out Crystal last November, and it definitely convinced me Celebrity would be a thing of the past for me. The minibar was stocked with a beautiful bottle of red, white, and Champagne. My stateroom attendant was not overworked and came to my room at the same time each day, also getting ice for me twice a day (which is certainly impossible in a Sky Suite these days). Service was quicker all around due to no one having to charge anything. I used my room key only to get into my room...and that made my mind up. I was already fully paid for my sailing this weekend, but I chose to loose my $400 NRD and cancel my February Summit cruise because I couldn't justify the cost.

Duc du Valmer is trash. Period. The fact that they can't even put the decent Haslinger champagne in the room is sad. 

I'm very much looking forward to taking my carry on suitcase down to the Lounge to load up on water for the week when I board on Saturday (said with serious sarcasm).

Thanks!  Like I said, research may lead folks to move from an upgraded mass market line to a true luxury line.  If you calculated the value of all those add-ons, it further justifies the $/day calculation.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, drakes2 said:

The Cherry Pie isn't even that good a Pinot Noir. Wish they carried more from the Russian River valley or Oregon. 

On Edge in April last year, they were pouring plenty of Cherry Pie in Luminae at no upcharge. Guess they found people were drinking it so up with the price. I people don't spend the upcharge then will be interesting if the price gets readjusted at some point. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richczarnecki said:

luxury level (Retreat) mass market cruise

This is a contradiction in terms. Luxury cannot be achieved on a mass market cruise. Retreat has never been luxury and moves further from it with each change.

11 minutes ago, richczarnecki said:

upgraded mass market line

This is fair. I would define Retreat (Haven, Yacht Club, etc) as upgraded mass market experiences.

• Like 1

We're booked on the Ascent for 2025 and We booked when it was truly All Inn, and I've upgraded to the premium drink package, mostly for my Johnnie Walker black, but with the extra charges now for a decent wine, which my wife loves, I doubt We'll be sailing X after that cruise. We got a great group rate on it, which is why I'm not cancelling. We can't afford the luxury lines, but will be looking at Princess and HAL at a much lower price point with more incentives.

5 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

On Edge in April last year, they were pouring plenty of Cherry Pie in Luminae at no upcharge. Guess they found people were drinking it so up with the price. I people don't spend the upcharge then will be interesting if the price gets readjusted at some point. 

X will know the results pretty soon - within 2 months. The first month will be the settling in period and then a better idea in month two

Half of the wine by the glass menu is an uncharge and apparently the same with brown liquors   It is difficult to ignore all the $2 choices and the results will be easy to see at corporate

Long term is the fallout from the now "good, better, best" liquor program. people thought they were buying "best" but it is now "better "

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jmdlv1 said:

Have not seen anything.I hope somebody posts.

My wife drinks Grey Goose.

I drink scotch and bourbon but no way will I pay those prices listed on Cellar Masters menu!  Not one decent scotch or bourbon in the premium liquor package range.  I have 2 more cruises booked (number 43 and 44 with Celebrity) and that is it.  First time I have more MSC YC booked than Celebrity. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

I would love to know WHY the price increases were so large ???

For example the Whispering Angel was $12 a glass and is now $19 - a 58% increase !!!

Even the Mer Soleil was $14 a glass and is now $19 a glass - a 35.7% increase.

None of these wines increased anywhere near that much in stores.

Seems like Celebrity is trying to make sure they have no repeat business !!!

I heard something this morning and now these price increases make more sense to me.

My husband was watching Squawk Box on CNBC.  Not sure the name of the gentleman, but he was the secretary of commerce at some point. He was advocating companies significantly increase their prices just prior to a period of deflation. He believes this will decrease the economic trauma of deflation for the company and will help them pay their employees, etc.

I thought, "That's counterintuitive. But it sounds just like Celebrity!"  I also think that Celebrity might be in the process of changing its Beverage supplier.

Edited by Tudy
Clarification

19 hours ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

Would be interested to hear what the SC response is as we are sailing in Silhouettes PH in Feb and I’m so annoyed thinking after spending so much hard saved money for a special anniversary that we will be expected to pay upcharges on glasses of wine. People have been rude in commenting in other places saying “you can afford a PH, you’re whining over a couple of bucks!” That’s not the point, it’s the principle! No one with the premium beverage package should pay upcharges for sub standard wine! I’ve loved the product Celebrity has put out before this new President took over. She is making it impossible to continue sailing with them. Will be looking at other lines for our cruising vacations after our Feb cruise. 

People who can afford the PH, very often can because they've kept track of the "couple of bucks" for years.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

I would love to know WHY the price increases were so large ???

For example the Whispering Angel was $12 a glass and is now $19 - a 58% increase !!!

Even the Mer Soleil was $14 a glass and is now $19 a glass - a 35.7% increase.

None of these wines increased anywhere near that much in stores.

Seems like Celebrity is trying to make sure they have no repeat business !!!

take a look at the JW Marriott Marco Island website. In the Dining area you can scroll the menus of various on site restaurants and see prices for spirits and wine.  X is marginally higher for similar offerings   They are just trying to get close to land resort prices.  

Also look at the room rates for standard rooms - no real view, king bed.  This week they are $1275/night !  That is Ala carte - no food or booze.  X is certainly looking at that site and saying we can do that too and give you a suite. 

At the risk of being redundant, this latest example of reducing the value of the Celebrity product serves to reconfirm our position to not have any future cruises booked with Celebrity. In fact, I don't even check out their "deals" any more. It is really shocking to me that management apparently has the attitude that they don't really care if they drive away their loyal customers. They won't get us back. In fact, we have recently taken two cruises on RSSC and have three more booked with them. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, billc23 said:

answered the SC response above. I have new bookings on Silversea - over 100 days so far. 5 cruises on MSC YC for the family vacations. I probably will give Seabourn and Regent a try but my research, for what I enjoy, puts Silversea first.

I thought about Silversea but will not give Royal Caribbean Group any more money.   It’s like switching from Celebrity to Royal.  

53 minutes ago, Tudy said:

I heard something this morning and now these price increases make more sense to me.

My husband was watching Squawk Box on CNBC.  Not sure the name of the gentleman, but he was the secretary of commerce at some point. He was advocating companies significantly increase their prices just prior to a period of deflation. He believes this will decrease the economic trauma of deflation for the company and will help them pay their employees, etc.

I thought, "That's counterintuitive. But it sounds just like Celebrity!"  I also think that Celebrity might be in the process of changing its Beverage supplier.

I saw the same interview!  I’m not sure Celebrity is smart enough to time economic cycles, but maybe.  Seems that Pepsi is doing the same.  In Europe, the grocery chain Carrefour has pulled all Pepsi products in some countries due to the price hikes.  Wouldn’t it be interesting if there were to be a boycott of drinking upcharge beverages on X for a few weeks? 🤣 After all, it is “dry January”! 

Edited by 81Zoomie
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, tnm6217 said:

- transfer to the ship

I am in my late 30s and have no concerns about sailing on luxury lines with folks who are older than me. On my Crystal cruise, I met the greatest group of folks, and the oldest one in our group was the one who got me out of my shell and convinced me to sing karaoke!

I think you will love Silversea! The pre-cruise hotels they use are really nice and the transport to the ship is easy/effortless. Every cabin gets in room liquor and champaign. We would get a bottle of champaign daily! The included shore excursions are better than Celebrities paid ones. Longer time in ports and the smaller ships can get closer to where you want to be for site seeing. Great variety of restaurants. Your basic Verandah suite has a great layout - much nicer than a SS on X. No need to skip the lines because there are noon to speak of. Many expedition cruises similar to Celebrity's Galapagos sailing but all around the world. Oh, often less expensive than a SS on Celebrity for a similar sailing without taking into account the included excursions, liquor, etc.

Compare a Silversea Iceland sailing to one on Celebrity - just Wow! What a difference experience. 

If you need a ship selling used handbags and gold chains by the inch, having art auctions, and a hierarchal system where everyone has special perks, then it may well be better to stick to Celebrity.

Compare a Silversea Iceland sailing to one on Celebrity... just wow, what a difference experience.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, riredsox said:

I thought about Silversea but will not give Royal Caribbean Group any more money.   It’s like switching from Celebrity to Royal.  

I understand how you feel. Some were so upset with their Ford Pinto that they would never buy a Ford F150, even if it was the best truck for their needs - why give more money to Ford??  I tried and really enjoyed the Silversea experience. Doesn't bother me that it is under Royal ownership. No "cutting off one's nose to spite one's face" decision making for me, but others view things differently and emotions usually override. Oh, it helps that I'm a Royal shareholder too...

1 hour ago, tfred said:

take a look at the JW Marriott Marco Island website. In the Dining area you can scroll the menus of various on site restaurants and see prices for spirits and wine.  X is marginally higher for similar offerings   They are just trying to get close to land resort prices.  

Also look at the room rates for standard rooms - no real view, king bed.  This week they are $1275/night !  That is Ala carte - no food or booze.  X is certainly looking at that site and saying we can do that too and give you a suite. 

I believe they/their computer algorithms look across all vacation options, just like we do. I agree in the upscale resort comparison as we compare land vacations with like options, i.e. room, transportation, food, drinks, land tours, etc. and cruising is still a valid option (maybe others have, but we have not found a similar size Retreat/Suite class balcony suite, food, drinks, tax, etc., particularly before their removing OBC and tips, for ~1000-1200 per day). But we continue to review options both on land and sea, i.e. moving up to Oceania, Regent, Silversea. 

17 hours ago, billc23 said:

I called today regarding a B4B, all in a PH on the Solstice, beginning March 15th, 2024. The concierge told me that there would be charges of a few dollars for the wines that have gone up in price. She told me that for the sailing that originates in Australia the PDP would cover up to $20 per drink. I didn't ask her if the drink prices were higher on that sailing. I let her know that I am having difficultly understanding how management could put in place small uncharges (that are financially trivial to Celebrity and their passengers) that are very upsetting to their highest paying customers. She said she would send a message to corporate express my feelings. 

I also have a sailing on the Ascent this month - PH and RS with the grandkids. I'll see how that goes.

Was on Edge in December on the First Australia / New Zealand cruises.   All prices were increased by 20% and the Max price of the Premium was uplifted to 21.69 ($18 + 20%).

My understanding is Australian and New Zealand Law require all prices have to be the actual price and not an add on with tax like in the U.S.

In our case we were never charged an up charge in Luminae or Retreat.   The biggest problem was they were out of a large number of wine choices.

• Like 3