Additional charge for drinks while docked?

Posted (edited)

Last year we cruised with NCL in Alaska.  While in any American port we were charged an extra 'tax' for drinks despite having the drink package.  It was about a $1 per drink.  Does this happen on RCL?  

Specifically, we are cruising out of Port Canaveral, going to Labadee, Puerto Plata, St. Thomas, St. Croix.  

Edited by Boowaaccaa77
Edit information

Posted (edited)

Royal doesn’t go to Amber Cove unless something has changed. I believe it’s Carnival that goes there. Sorry, but can’t help with the taxes in port.

Edited by ReneeFLL

8 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Royal doesn’t go to Amber Cove unless something has changed. I believe it’s Carnival that goes there. Sorry, but can’t help with the taxes in port.

Thank you  - I have edited it and will now double check our excursion!  It goes to the Taíno Bay dock.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Boowaaccaa77 said:

Last year we cruised with NCL in Alaska.  While in any American port we were charged an extra 'tax' for drinks despite having the drink package.  It was about a $1 per drink.  Does this happen on RCL?  

Specifically, we are cruising out of Port Canaveral, going to Labadee, Puerto Plata, St. Thomas, St. Croix.  

In Alaska , i imagine you were paying state sales tax. Not a cruise line issue.

In the Caribbean , that does not happen.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Boowaaccaa77 said:

Royal does not pass through the local (USA) sales tax if you have the drink package. If you are purchasing drinks individually they do. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mo&fran said:

It wasn't a state tax as it was also charged in Seattle.  We were told it was for American ports.  IDK.  We never had that happen in the Caribbean, either, but it never hurts to ask considering we are in Port Canaveral,  two US Virgin Islands and a cruise owned one.  Thank you for your thoughts and input!

Edited by Boowaaccaa77

I have looked into this a little more - looks like its a NCL thing and other cruise lines absorb the cost in the applicable areas (appears like it is some states and European countries).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mo&fran said:

You pay some taxes in Coco Cay.  I have to pay Nassau taxes on day beach beds, somewhere around 10%.  I'm sure taxes are also charged on private cabanas.  However, no taxes on my D+ drinks while on the island.

20 hours ago, mo&fran said:

Drinks on Coco Cay are about $1 extra.  I was told it has to do with VAT in the Bahamas.

Couple of years ago we took a RCL cruise out of New Orlrans.  Long story short we had to leave late.  About 4 hours late!  We had booked a specialty restaurant and had just set down.  We ordered a bottle of wine with dinner.  Next thing we knew the waiter informed us we were still in the Mississippi River and the wine would be subject to a tax.  So there you go.  OBTW we ordered the wine and very much enjoyed it with our dinner.

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Drinks on Coco Cay are about $1 extra.  I was told it has to do with VAT in the Bahamas.

Wasn't charged anything for my D+ drinks in October Oasis sail. but was charged a tax on my day beds.  Nassau did increase their port taxes as of January 1, 2024

16 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Wasn't charged anything for my D+ drinks in October Oasis sail. but was charged a tax on my day beds.  Nassau did increase their port taxes as of January 1, 2024

Well, yeah, you wouldn't be charged for D+ drinks.  They're essentially "pre-paid", but if you had purchased an out-of-pocket drink /an individual drink, I promise you the price'd be about $1 higher than it would've been on the ship.

17 hours ago, RoperDK said:

Weren't there some odd problems with getting drinks while in Grand Cayman?  Something like only 1 bar onboard serving drinks?  Is that still going on?

Yes, that was the case on Serenade in Dec, only the pool bar open while we were there.

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2024 at 11:01 AM, mo&fran said:

Not sure if it is a state or federal tax. But sailed on another brand to Alaska last year and was not charged extra.

Some lines absorb the extra tax if you have the package some don't.

On 1/7/2024 at 1:41 PM, Boowaaccaa77 said:

Does this happen on RCL?  

Not a cruise line issue it's a state tax issue.  I know it happens in Galveston, CCL cannot even honor (nor do they charge for) the drink package on embarkation day due to backwards state laws.  Alaska, New York, Maryland (cruises out of Baltimore) you pay the tax on alcohol.

On 1/8/2024 at 1:19 PM, kernow said:

Yes, that was the case on Serenade in Dec, only the pool bar open while we were there.

We were in Grand Cayman last year on a Celebrity ship (Equinox) and all bars were closed in port except the Pool Bar.  It is a Grand Cayman thing - at least for RCCL and Celebrity ships.