Gratuities are they compulsory?

On 1/8/2024 at 8:09 AM, hobgoblin said:

As a Brit I find the whole  tipping thing a bit excessive and then also having extra taxes added on to your holiday it all seems to become much more expensive than you planned .

Why dont they just pay the staff well  in the first place lie P&O and let customers pay the extra when its deserved .

Then there is the crewe expecting further gratuities after enrolling for pre paid tips ,its all a bit over whelming !

Cant you just pay the staff who you are in contact with ?

Does anyone actually do this?

You’ve not posted much but you’ve been on this forum a good while. Surely you’ve read all the explanations re: onboard tipping and are familiar with the expectations, so the add-on cost should not be any surprise to you.

If it bothers you excessively, don’t cruise. But by all means don’t go and stiff the hard-working crew.

• Like 1

On sailings we have had Gratuities added as part if the booking.

But we are grateful to those that have gone above and beyond some services and show appreciation to them.

Of course this is done at the end of the sailing, normally the evening before departure. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MWarren3549 said:

Tip jar at Starbucks DRIVE THROUGH!!!!  OMG it is out of control. 

I have no problem tossing odd change in the tip jar.  I think that is what they were originally for.   I still take that approach and feel no compulsion to otherwise tip for any counter service. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

If it bothers you excessively, don’t cruise. But by all means don’t go and stiff the hard-working crew

Not neccesarily don't cruise

If you are not used to/comfortable with/dont like  tipping, pick a package that has pre paid tipping included in the price and then dont tip as you go.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

Not neccesarily don't cruise

If you are not used to/comfortable with/dont like  tipping, pick a package that has pre paid tipping included in the price and then dont tip as you go.

Good advice.  A package may not be needed to do that.  Cruise lines, at least some of them, allow us to pre-pay gratuities.   

On 1/9/2024 at 6:30 PM, Charles4515 said:

I don’t usually but two places I order at a counter and they bring the order out to a table. The one of them a kiosk not a person and they bring the food to a table. Would you tip?

Sure! A extra charge to their batteries...

30 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

But you may wish to recognize those exceptions of good service....

well thus begins the slippery slope  of pre paid tipping BUT... or tipping as you go on top of pre paying tipping

whereas to me the whole point of pre paying tips - or  taking an all inclusive tips included package, was to avoid the hassle or expectation of tipping.

10 hours ago, Kristelle said:

well thus begins the slippery slope  of pre paid tipping BUT... or tipping as you go on top of pre paying tipping

whereas to me the whole point of pre paying tips - or  taking an all inclusive tips included package, was to avoid the hassle or expectation of tipping.

IMHO, the advantage of prepaid tipping is not having to hassle with envelopes and having all the bills to use at the end of the cruise.

21 hours ago, ldubs said:

I have no problem tossing odd change in the tip jar.  I think that is what they were originally for.   I still take that approach and feel no compulsion to otherwise tip for any counter service. 

What is different about having a tip jar at the drive through vs. the counter? Why would one tip at the counter but not the drive through? I usually don’t tip at either, no fancy order from me, but I don’t begrudge a tip jar.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

What is different about having a tip jar at the drive through vs. the counter? Why would one tip at the counter but not the drive through? I usually don’t tip at either, no fancy order from me, but I don’t begrudge a tip jar.

None.  I should have worded my comment differently.   My intended point is tossing odd change in a tip jar is different than being prompted for an 18% - 20% tip for counter service.   

• Like 2

On 1/9/2024 at 3:30 PM, Charles4515 said:

I don’t usually but two places I order at a counter and they bring the order out to a table. The one of them a kiosk not a person and they bring the food to a table. Would you tip?

A while back I was in a place where we ordered and paid at the counter.  A robot on wheels brought our orders.  It was kind of cool.   I tipped it a can of WD-40.  😀 

• Haha 6

13 hours ago, Kristelle said:

To Each Their Own Opinion......

IMHO.......After sailing on many, many voyages over the decades, I appreciate the work and efforts to make us comfortable during our trips doing those tasks that are not noted as usual actions of their job.

It's up to each passenger to determine what is usual and exceptional during their trip.

So I really am not initially attracted to pre paying tips to the information and am focus to the contents of the trip and trip's ports of call. 

On 1/8/2024 at 6:09 AM, hobgoblin said:

As a Brit I find the whole  tipping thing a bit excessive and then also having extra taxes added on to your holiday it all seems to become much more expensive than you planned .

Why dont they just pay the staff well  in the first place lie P&O and let customers pay the extra when its deserved .

Then there is the crewe expecting further gratuities after enrolling for pre paid tips ,its all a bit over whelming !

Cant you just pay the staff who you are in contact with ?

Does anyone actually do this?

I sure agree that the gratuity add-ons raise the total cost.  Taxes too, if you are not used to the "plus tax" approach.   Agree with the process or not, there is some good advice on this thread about how to build those add-ons into your total expected cost.   

Going to your original question (in bold), from reading through many of these tipping threads, it is clear some choose to do what you ask.  I guess that "can I do it" is different than "should I do it".   Many of the comments on this thread would explain why you shouldn't.  

5 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

To Each Their Own Opinion......

IMHO.......After sailing on many, many voyages over the decades, I appreciate the work and efforts to make us comfortable during our trips doing those tasks that are not noted as usual actions of their job.

It's up to each passenger to determine what is usual and exceptional during their trip.

So I really am not initially attracted to pre paying tips to the information and am focus to the contents of the trip and trip's ports of call. 

I dont understand what the last sentence means.

People who pre pay tips or go on all inclusive tips included packages (land trips or cruises) still appreciate the hard work staff do - I'm happy to pay a cost that means they are paid well - but  I do it as an upfront cost not tipping as  I go.(the same way  I do f or workers in my home country and other people do for me working in my own job)

I don't think that reflects any more or less appreciation of anyone - just a preference based on cultural norms of the traveller.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not like how the upfront tips have become required over the years.  It used to be that you tipped for service for those you came in contact with and all were eager to please knowing our culture is to tip for great service.  Now it seams like you tip up front, then for good service you have to tip additionally.  For example, if you want prompt service for a drink on the pool deck, tipping is a must.  I compare this to an all inclusive resort in Cancun where they say leave your wallet at home and there is no prepaid gratuity listed in their rates.  While no tips are required, you must tip if you want better service.  I’m ok with this as I don’t feel like the company is double dipping and using it to supplement their payroll.  

As for our culture, how about when I have to pay $125 for a massage (on or off ship), because I occasionally have back pain, and I get an envelope that says “suggested gratuity” is 20%.  What did I just pay $125 for?  

FYI, I do tip well as I feel compassion for those in the service industry that make an effort to earn it, but I don’t tip twice for the same service. Nor do I tip my Chiropractor or Dentist at all.  

So, in general, are gratuities a required cost for goods and services, or optional?  Should the definition change?:

noun,plural gra·tu·i·ties.

1. a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.

2. something given without claim or demand.

I like the pre-paid gratuities on cruises and when service charges are added to restaurant bills in the UK and Europe. It relieves me from having to think about gratuities (and do the math) if I wish but leaves open the option for me to tip additionally should I so choose.

You do have to watch for those service charges on restaurant bills. More than once I've tipped over and above not realizing they were there. Ooops. 😀

Edited by K32682