Back to back on two different cruise lines.

Considering doing a transatlantic Florida to Amsterdam on Celebrity Silhouette and a European cruise on Holland America Statendam from Amsterdam. The Silhouette arrives at 6 AM May 5th and the Statendam departs 4 PM May 5th. Is this just a foolish endeavor or have others done it with little difficulty? 

It's called a "side to side" (S2S), and no problem at all. The biggest issue in your case might be transferring from one ship to another,  as they may not be close to each other at all.

By the way, the Holland America ship is the Nieuw Statendam. Great ship.

I think that's a great endeavor, and on 2 really nice ships.  Just, pray your Silhouette cruise does not get delayed during crossing.  It most likely won't, but a 1-day buffer between cruises would make me feel better.  

• Like 2

As @CruiserBruce indicates the biggest issue may be the distance in the port between the two ships, but and early departure from the Celebrity ship (assuming no arrival delays) should allow enough time to make a boarding time with HA.  I would just confirm pier locations in advance and research transportation if necessary between the two.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

16 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

Considering doing a transatlantic Florida to Amsterdam on Celebrity Silhouette and a European cruise on Holland America Statendam from Amsterdam. The Silhouette arrives at 6 AM May 5th and the Statendam departs 4 PM May 5th. Is this just a foolish endeavor or have others done it with little difficulty? 

IMO, consecutive cruises using two different cruise lines is a waste of time, effort and money. Expand your research to look at Oceania’s multi-segment itineraries (which is their hallmark. They’re a real benefit for O cruisers incl. discount of total fare, same cabin and added O Club perks.
Our upcoming 5 week cruise includes three segments starting in Bangkok and ending in Tokyo.

Worth checking out what O has since they do many transoceanic cruises that dovetail perfectly with regional offerings.

This sounds like a good adventure ... in theory.  But the same-day switch could be a disaster.  I'd not be comfortable without 24 hours between ships.  All depends on what your risk tolerance is.

I work at Pier 91 in Seattle.  Last summer I had a couple tell me that they had just disembarked a ship that morning in California, then flew up to Seattle to get on an Alaskan cruise - sailing at 4 PM.  They arrived at Pier 91 less than 90 minutes before we closed the terminal doors (3:30 PM).

I must laugh at this thread, because until a few days ago it was not something about which we care.  But last week, Seabourn cancelled a 14 day day cruise (due to a charter) that was a segment in the middle of our 52 day voyage.  I did some homework and noticed that another cruise line had a cruise that fit into that gap (think of a sandwich) from the same port. For those who understand the term, we think it was "kismet" and we have already asked our trusted cruise agent to look into the various pricing options.

In our case it would be one cruise line for 14 days, another cruise line for the next 14 days, and that first cruise line for another 24 days!  It all works (the same port on the correct days) and assuming we can get a reasonable price it will happen :).  

One consideration when planning this kind of thing is how to get between the various ships.  If it is within the same port it is usually a workable challenge.  If the ports are different, than the challenge becomes more difficult (and fun for those of us who love DIY planning).

Hank

On 1/20/2024 at 1:58 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

I work at Pier 91 in Seattle.  Last summer I had a couple tell me that they had just disembarked a ship that morning in California, then flew up to Seattle to get on an Alaskan cruise - sailing at 4 PM.  They arrived at Pier 91 less than 90 minutes before we closed the terminal doors (3:30 PM).

Either those people or someone trying the same trip posted "Can we make it" here and were told they would need to be very lucky.  Good to hear they were lucky.

• Like 1

It shouldn't be a problem as both ships are in the same port, quick taxi ride between them shouldn't be a problem. In 2022 we did a Transatlantic cruise that finished in Tampa, got off the ship hopped in an Uber across to Port Canaveral to board another ship for a Caribbean cruise on the same day. Breakfast in Tampa on one ship, lunch in Port Canaveral on the next one. 

Thanks to all for the very comprehensive replies. Maybe it is a fairly foolish thing to contemplate in that I'm a very senior citizen with a VA disability which may hamper facilitating the move from one ship to the other even if the Celebrity cruise had no delay. There are other cruises that leave Florida on a transatlantic and continue on with a European itinerary via the same ship.