June cruise to Alaska - what clothes will I need

Will be doing a 14 day Alaska cruise on Princess.   No idea what I will need to bring.  Only want to take a carry on suitcase. Do I need shorts?  Formal dress? Warm jacket/raincoat is probably needed.  I know the ship has a laundromat which will be helpful.   Any suggestions from those who have been to Alaska in June?

Hooded windproof, water proof jacket (windproof pants to pull over pants . Waterproof a pair of old sneakers (plan on leaving them at last port). Smartwool socks

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Hooded windproof, water proof jacket (windproof pants to pull over pants . Waterproof a pair of old sneakers (plan on leaving them at last port). Smartwool socks

Thanks!

You never know what the Alaska weather might be.  Do the usual 'layer plan' so you are comfortable no matter what the weather.  Bring clothing you can hand wash that doesn't need ironing.  Don't worry about the 'formal', just bring a dress or top & slacks that you like, you can wear that to dinner with different scarves and jewelry.  

• Like 1

I packed for a seven night Alaska cruise in a carry-on. It was QUITE a tight fit, but I managed. Keep checking the forecast as the date approaches, but your planning/shopping should definitely assume that your itinerary could include cool weather and/or rain. Think thin layers and comfort!

Here's what I brought AND ACTUALLY WORE:

- leggings, all black (one pair of Fabletics, one "nice" ponte pair, one fleece lined pair)

- jeans (one pair, dark/skinny)

- fitted long sleeve tees (Amazon basics, three different colors)

- two black tank tops

- thin/lightweight track jacket

- lighter weight puffer vest (Amazon basics)

- quarter zip fleece top

- rain jacket with hood

- packable hat

- two scarves that complemented the colors of my shirts

- Timberland boots

- Brooks running shoes

- all appropriate undergarments/socks 

- all necessary toiletries

All of the above were worn in various combinations while on board, for sleeping, and while out on excursions. I could have pared it down a little further, but no regrets. I also packed a small case (the size of a paperback book) for my phone/iPad power banks, cables, chargers, etc.

What I brought and wished I HADN'T:

- swimsuit/cover up (it was too cool for me to enjoy the pools, and the hot tubs were always overcrowded)

- a dress, heeled boots, and fancy clutch for formal nights (I basically just wore these items for two hours at dinner on the two formal nights, and then got right back into my warmer cozy clothes)

You may also want to consider camera/binoculars for your itinerary (my husband packed ours!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rustysunshine said:

I packed for a seven night Alaska cruise in a carry-on. It was QUITE a tight fit, but I managed. Keep checking the forecast as the date approaches, but your planning/shopping should definitely assume that your itinerary could include cool weather and/or rain. Think thin layers and comfort!

That is quite a nice list and interesting comments on AK cruising.

Wanted to say, Welcome to Cruise Critic!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rustysunshine said:

Here's what I brought AND ACTUALLY WORE:

- leggings, all black (one pair of Fabletics, one "nice" ponte pair, one fleece lined pair)

- jeans (one pair, dark/skinny)

- fitted long sleeve tees (Amazon basics, three different colors)

- two black tank tops

- thin/lightweight track jacket

- lighter weight puffer vest (Amazon basics)

- quarter zip fleece top

- rain jacket with hood

- packable hat

- two scarves that complemented the colors of my shirts

- Timberland boots

- Brooks running shoes

- all appropriate undergarments/socks 

- all necessary toiletries

All of the above were worn in various combinations while on board, for sleeping, and while out on excursions. I could have pared it down a little further, but no regrets. I also packed a small case (the size of a paperback book) for my phone/iPad power banks, cables, chargers, etc.

What I brought and wished I HADN'T:

- swimsuit/cover up (it was too cool for me to enjoy the pools, and the hot tubs were always overcrowded)

- a dress, heeled boots, and fancy clutch for formal nights (I basically just wore these items for two hours at dinner on the two formal nights, and then got right back into my warmer cozy clothes)

You may also want to consider camera/binoculars for your itinerary (my husband packed ours!)

Thank you!  Very helpful,

• Like 1

We took a June trip to Alaska. My advice is to plan ahead of course, but watch the weather forecast. Some ports we were walking around in T-shirts and jeans. In Ketchikan it was very cold and raining. We went on the crab boat excursion, and I ended up wearing water resistant pants, long sleeved top, fleece jacket, rain coat, Sperry boots. At one point I used my hat and gloves. Overkill? Maybe, but I was glad I had these items.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, crystalspin said:

That is quite a nice list and interesting comments on AK cruising.

Wanted to say, Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Thanks so much! I've been lurking and learning since last year 😊

If you plan to take a whale watching excursion on a ferry, which I highly recommend, bring full wet weather gear. Poncho, rain pants, waterproof boots. You will  get wet on that boat.

Any other day on shore, plan for warm/cool/wet/dry to occur on a moments notice. All of southern Alaska and coastal British Columbia is a temperate rain forest.

• Like 1

I wear shorts only a few days of the year so unless I’m in the tropics they never get packed. 

Other than one pair of skinny jeans nothing I pack to Alaska is cotton based. 

Essentials for Alaska for me include a comfy zip up fleece, my favorite cardigan to dress up or down, a few tencel based tshirts, skinny jeans, a knee length dress, 2 silk scarves/shawls, hiking pants, yoga pants etc.

I don’t really bother with long sleeves unless it’s early/late in the season. For summer I would bring a dress that is active wear which can double as a swim cover up or dress it up for dinner, I have a like black dress that works great for this but have my eye on one from Patagonia next.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 1:01 PM, masonchar said:

Will be doing a 14 day Alaska cruise on Princess.   No idea what I will need to bring.  Only want to take a carry on suitcase. Do I need shorts?  Formal dress? Warm jacket/raincoat is probably needed.  I know the ship has a laundromat which will be helpful.   Any suggestions from those who have been to Alaska in June?

Have been to AK twice in June. You do not need shorts nor formal dress. Medium-warm jacket and rain-resistant coat over the jackat is a good idea. Remember that if the ship surpasses the % for Noro, the laundromats will be closed. You can do it in a carryon + daypack or tote.

• Like 1

We sailed to Alaska in August. I wore jeans, leggings, t-shirt, fleece pullover/quarter zip, and a waterproof windproof jacket. Sometimes I wore all the layers on the top. Some days I could just wear a tshirt. We never needed waterproof pants, but some of that depends on your excursions in addition to the weather. For example, we did a private whale watching excursion, but it was in an enclosed boat, with only the bow open to the weather. It was cool, cloudy and drizzling much of that day, but the whales were amazing and I stayed dry. I wore tennis shoes for all excursions, but we did not do any glacier walking/hiking. For dinners, I wore capri pants, a shirt/blouse and sandals. Many people wore their "port clothes" but we just prefer to change and freshen up for dinner.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Perfect time of year to scour the online clearance bins for lightweight cashmere “sweaters”. Those $40 thin cashmere sweaters are perfect for wearing as thermals. 

Adding to this - if you're anywhere near a Kohl's, I stopped in yesterday...there were plenty of winter coats and sweaters already marked down (as if winter is already done here in Colorado 😂) Some very nice lighter weight and waterproof jackets were included in the selection, perfect for Alaskan cruises!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The one thing I would NOT recommend taking is a cotton sweatshirt. Too much bulk with minimum warmth, and awful if it gets wet.

I'm happy to see that no one above has suggested a sweatshirt, but over the years I've seen them recommended many times.

Similar to those above, I took - and was glad I did - silk turtlenecks, cashmere sweater, heavy wool sweater, warm jacket, hooded raincoat.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have sailed to Alaska 5 times over the years. Layering is my suggestion. It might be very cold or it may be just mild outside. I would check the weather about a week before you leave and that will give you a better idea of what you need to bring.

Hope you have a great cruise😀

• Like 4

Layering is a great idea, as well as checking the weather forecast before you go. We’ll be going on our 4th Alaska cruise this coming May, but we’ve also sailed in July and August. Here’s my exact packing list:

2 pr. Dark blue jeans – 1 slim and 1 straight

1 pr. Eileen Fisher washable crepe pants-black – Almost like leggings but a bit dressier, & these are really comfortable & can be dressed up or down. (I know that they’re an investment but they last forever.)

1 pr. Chico’s Travelers pants-black

2 long sleeved cashmere sweaters

2 3/4 slv. cashmere sweaters (I wear these a lot while onboard-I may have to add one more)

2 Chico’s long sleeve tees

1 Chico’s Travelers dressy top

1 Chico’s Travelers tank & kimono

1 Chico’s Travelers black dress (I love this line for travel!)

1 short sleeve sweater tee (to wear on the plane with jeans, sneakers and bomber jacket – traveling from Southern California to Seattle YMMV)

Rain jacket, black puffy vest, quilted bomber jacket

Soft 7 metallic slip-on sneakers, Sporto rain boots, black Rothy’s points, gold wedge sandals for dress-up/dinner (we're on NCL so only one dress-up night)

MZ Wallace quilted bag for the plane, small leather crossbody for onboard, Travelon crossbody for ports

2 or 3 bras, 10 undies (it’s a 9-day cruise), socks, Sheecs low-cut socks

1 Hanro camisole (love these are they’re warm & lightweight)

Beanie, tech-friendly gloves, two scarves

Ballcap (good in the rain if it’s not too cold & I can just pull up the hood on my raincoat)

Jewelry

I think something similar to this will serve you well in just about any weather situation and onboard event. I'll admit that I do like to dress-up a bit when given the opportunity. On past Alaska embarkation days, I’ve worn a ¾ sleeve cashmere sweater, with and without a jacket, with jeans and sneakers. This time, I’m planning on wearing a long sleeve tee with the vest and a sparkly pin! We'll see if the weather cooperates.

Have a wonderful cruise! Hope this helps in some small way. Alaska’s beauty is breathtaking!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Sorry, I just realized that you wanted to do a carry-on, so I would just cut back on quantities and leave-out the dress and gold sandals and other "dress-up" items, as you'll be fine wearing sweaters and jeans onboard for the most part.. I do want to add that some of those socks are knee socks, to be worn with boots and jeans if it's rainy and/or cold in port or outside while viewing the glacier. (I've never felt the need for waterproof pants as some folks suggest.)

Hope that you may have picked up on something from my list that you might have overlooked. Happy sailing!

Edited by NikiPinkston
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 8:37 PM, awhfy said:

Please consider adding a pair of warm gloves!

• 3 weeks later...

It really depends on your travel personality.  I dont get cold easily, and we have been to Alaska several times now (all in May).  We are going again this coming May.  🤣. In June, you may want a pair of shorts!  We have had days in the 60s in May.

I always pack in a carry on only, and have no problem re-wearing things like jeans etc. I bring 1 sweatshirt, 1 thin jacket that I wear individually or together as needed.  I am definitely "less is more" packer/traveler tho.

I would say you dont need a formal dress.  Some folks do dress up, but overall Alaskan cruises are more on the casual side.  I usually bring 1 pair of black pants for dinners and a few silk blouses.  Sometimes I wear dark rinse jeans.

Ive never been cold on our cruises but it really depends on the person obviously.  I bring items to layer, and if anything, Ive had to take off layers because I was warm.  Also depends on your excursions.  We bring single layer waterproof jackets (got then at Costco for $20) and theyve been great.  Easy on/off, small to pack.

We wear sneakers...havent had problems with them getting super wet (even in rainy weather).

I bring gloves I wear for running because theyre small and easy to pack.  But Ive never worn them.  My husband has worn a knit hat on a few excursions...I never needed one myself.  But those items are small, and its not a big deal if you dont use them.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2024 at 1:02 PM, NikiPinkston said:

Sorry, I just realized that you wanted to do a carry-on, so I would just cut back on quantities and leave-out the dress and gold sandals and other "dress-up" items, as you'll be fine wearing sweaters and jeans onboard for the most part.. I do want to add that some of those socks are knee socks, to be worn with boots and jeans if it's rainy and/or cold in port or outside while viewing the glacier. (I've never felt the need for waterproof pants as some folks suggest.)

Hope that you may have picked up on something from my list that you might have overlooked. Happy sailing!

Thank you!!

• Like 1