Gov warning travel to Bahamas

oatbagg1

We are sailing from Miami to Bahamas April1-6.  Government is saying there have been 18 murders since the 1st of the year and are warning travelers to Nassau to be aware. and also to be aware of unregulated water excursion risks.    Is anyone else concerned?

The U.S. State Department on Friday increased its advisory level for would-be travelers to the Bahamas, urging "increased caution," as the nation's capital has recorded 18 murders this year.

The elevation to Level 2 follows a security alert posted Wednesday by the U.S. Embassy in Nassau, which expressed concern that Americans might be victimized by gang violence in the capital.

"Murders have occurred at all hours including in broad daylight on the streets," the embassy said in its alert. "Retaliatory gang violence has been the primary motive in 2024 murders."

U.S. travelers were advised to be especially cautious in Nassau, use caution when out at night anywhere in the Bahamas, "keep a low profile," be aware of the surroundings, don't resist if confronted by robbers, and have and review security plans.

The State Department added that short-term vacation rentals have the added concern of often lacking the kind of private security present at hotels. It said Nassau's gang crime is not fenced out of areas frequented by tourists.

"Violent crime, such as burglaries, armed robberies, and sexual assaults, occur in both tourist and non-tourist areas," it said in its travel advisory.

3 minutes ago, oatbagg1 said:

We are sailing from Miami to Bahamas April1-6.  Government is saying there have been 18 murders since the 1st of the year and are warning travelers to Nassau to be aware. and also to be aware of unregulated water excursion risks.    Is anyone else concerned?

You won't be in the neighborhood where the crimes take place.so no.  I do agree about the unregulated water excursions. I have seen overloaded water taxis Avoid those. Independent water exursions with good reviews on TripAdvisor shoud be fine. In general I don't like Nassau as a port though, not because of crime but because I think it is not very nice.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, oatbagg1 said:

The U.S. State Department on Friday increased its advisory level for would-be travelers to the Bahamas, urging "increased caution,"

Those travel advisories are generally dire sounding for every country. So caution to me is stay in the tourist areas. Caution to others might be stay on the ship. No one forces passengers to get off. Nassau is a port I have often considered staying on the ship not because of safety but because I dislike the port. I have however always found a nice beach to go to. 

I always get off and go to the John Bull store and look at watches I can’t afford.  Visited last week, the port improvements they have done are nicer for sure.  I’ve never felt threatened in the port area, or just outside of it. 

• Like 1

We were there in November for the 4th time. We weren't supposed to stop there but were re-routed due to weather so we wandered without plans for the first time. The new port area is great and felt safe. The vendors at Junkanoo were shady and made us uncomfortable. The walk there was fine, though. Our ship stayed late because of the re-route and after dark it was nonstop lights and sirens that we watched from the ship.

That said, it's not much different from any downtown in the States. Stick to tourist areas, be vigilant, and don't wander after dark.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oatbagg1 said:

They need to put a bulletin out for my hometown of Chicago.  Sadly, we have 23 murders YTD.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, spammie said:

Same here in Philly - 22!  

Yeah, that's bad, too.  We used to live in the Philadelphia area many years ago (1990's).  

• Like 1

There is also a warning to avoid Haiti. Labadee( RCC's private Island) is on Hispaniola which is Haiti.  

Personally, the one time we went to Labadee, I did NOT enjoy it and a member of our roll call had his bank card compromised.  My key card was also deactivated.  There were pregnant dogs running around and the vendors would not take No for an answer.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

They need to put a bulletin out for my hometown of Chicago.  Sadly, we have 23 murders YTD.

6 minutes ago, spammie said:

Same here in Philly - 22!  

Not good numbers, obviously, but the population of Chicago is over 2.5 million and the population of Philly is over 1.5 million.

The population of Nassau is somewhere around 260,000. So roughly that's roughly 10X the rate of Chicago...

Not a fan of Nassau as a port stop either. It never felt like a great place to walk around. Last time we stayed onboard for a nice, relaxing day.

• Like 1

Mexico has had a travel advisory for years, as well as Jamaica and the DR. These things are pretty normal. Heck the UK issue a warning for travel to the US so be vigilant and aware of your surroundings. I treat these places like I treat being in any major city. 

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I always get off and go to the John Bull store and look at watches I can’t afford.  Visited last week, the port improvements they have done are nicer for sure.  I’ve never felt threatened in the port area, or just outside of it. 

I always stop at John Bull too. 

4 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I'm not concerned about the security alerts because I no longer ever get off the ship in Nassau.  It's an automatic sea day for me.

Linda, we smell what you're cookin'!  That's southern for "totally agree."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mahdnc said:

I mean in fairness normally the Canadian Government lists the US as 'green' but then has take normal precautions which then goes on to state particular states to be cautious about and the types of crimes that could happen throughout the country. Take that what you will

I'm just across from Detroit (like a 20 min drive) and as much as I want an early flight there is NO WAY I'm driving across the border/through Detroit alone at 5:30am lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We visited for the first (and last) time on our last Celebrity cruise in April last year, it was bloody awful, we walked round for about a hour and we had seen enough, by far the worst port we have visited on our travels, we also had a snorkel trip in the afternoon which was nearly as bad.

i am sure there are some beautiful places to visit around the Bahamas but Nassau was definitely not one of them ! 

35 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

I mean in fairness normally the Canadian Government lists the US as 'green' but then has take normal precautions which then goes on to state particular states to be cautious about and the types of crimes that could happen throughout the country. Take that what you will

I'm just across from Detroit (like a 20 min drive) and as much as I want an early flight there is NO WAY I'm driving across the border/through Detroit alone at 5:30am lol

It's not that bad, I did it all the time. You don't get off the freeway ,you just stay on until you get to the airport.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Ironically, that might be the best time for the drive. 

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

As a Chicago suburbanite I don't disagree,  but at the same time when one compares population numbers, even including vacationers, I would say the Nassau numbers are way more proportionately. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, calicakes said:

It's not that bad, I did it all the time. You don't get off the freeway ,you just stay on until you get to the airport.

Oh I know, my car GPS gave me wrong directions before and I ended up off the highway - do not recommend. This time I'm having to see what I can do for an eSIM because my phone is a work phone but obviously do not want to do that mistake again. Heck if it comes to it I'll pay for the data usage 😅

On the plus side, person I spoke to before my car told me to get lost was really friendly, I just don't want to go in the dark alone.

34 minutes ago, Tierun said:

Ironically, that might be the best time for the drive. 

If I wasn't alone I'd feel better about it, a girl that reports to me did the be at the airport for 5am and got her car totaled by someone coming back from a party. Not enjoyable being in another country in a car accident, pitch black by the side of the road (she at least had her husband with her).

Edited by Lena11033

A lot of countries in the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, and South America are level 2 or higher.  Even France and Germany which I think of as relatively safe countries are level 2.  

When it gets to level 3, I read what the specific warnings are as often it is specific to certain areas.  Level 4 (do not travel) is a lot more concerning, although Haiti is currently a level 4 and I don't worry about Labadee itself.  

Cruise ships aren't bound by any of these government travel warnings but they also won't put their passengers in danger so they are making their own assessments.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tish78 said:

Do the cruise lines ever change their port of call do to security alerts? I would love to go to Celebrity’s island in stead of Nassau. Is that possible?

Constellation is doing an overnight in Cartegena.  Colombia is Level 3.