Balconies and Suites are sold out, Best chance to get one.

TomTN

We are trying to book a Volendam cruise to Canada/NE. Balconies and Suites are not available.

We don't want an outside cabin with a window, but might book if there is a chance of an upgrade.

Should we book the outside cabin, and get on a waiting list for a balony/ suite?

Other suggestions? 

If you REALLY want to go on the cruise you better book what they have.  A TA can keep an eye but I'd really hold myself responsible for watching for a balcony or suite.  Probably one will become available at some point.  I'd check every day and I have before! When one comes up make the change. 

• Like 2

I agree with @chill6x6.  Book and check for openings.  You may have some luck as you get close to final payment.  But, there are no guarantees, of course.

Is it an itinerary that is repeated?  If your timing is flexible, then you might want to  look at those.  If it’s the FLL - Mtl cruise, best to book IMO or other unrepeated itineraries - book it if you want to do it - and select a cabin you would be happy with IF you cannot get the category of your preference.

• Like 2

I booked a cruise just a little more than a month out on Rotterdam and all that was available was an inside cabin.  As time went on, I began to regret the decision thinking it was not going to be pleasant and we would be miserable.  However, we made up our mind to just suck it up.  5 days before sailing, I got an email offering an upgrade to Ocean View or a Veranda cabin.  I couldn't dial the HA phone number quick enough!  I ended up with an aft Veranda cabin for $349pp additional.  Wife doesn't know it yet and will let her be surprised when we open the cabin door for the first time. We sail on Friday.

Moral of the story is, book it if you really want to go even if it isn't your preferred accommodation.  If something opens up and you're willing to pay the additional charge, it's a bonus.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TomBeckCruise said:

We are trying to book a Volendam cruise to Canada/NE. Balconies and Suites are not available.

We don't want an outside cabin with a window, but might book if there is a chance of an upgrade.

If you can get a midship OV on Deck 3, forward of 3378/3373, you will be steps away from the biggest balcony on the ship -- The Promenade. If you don't get your upgrade. Keep in mind there are no Verandah (balcony) rooms on the Volendam -- the lowest balcony cabin is the Vista Suite. And then there are the Lanai rooms, on Deck 3, with their reserved deckchairs on the Promenade. But they sell out fast, too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, josumello said:

We are booked on our first HAL  cruise. Does HAL just randomly email upgrade offers or do they have an actual program where you can bid on specific upgrades?

thanks

HAL doesn't have a bidding for upgrades program.  They do random "upsell" (paid, not free) offers by email or your TA can call closer to sailing and ask if any upsells are available.

Edited by oakridger

Also, I just thought about the Club Orange program where you can get a higher-level cabin in the category that you pay for by purchasing Club Orange.  There are many threads on CC describing the process. I will let others here answer questions about that. 

Club Orange Program Benefits (hollandamerica.com)

OP @TomBeckCruise sorry for the thread hijack.  I get sidetracked easily!

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

16 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Also, I just thought about the Club Orange program where you can get a higher-level cabin in the category that you pay for by purchasing Club Orange.  There are many threads on CC describing the process. I will let others here answer questions about that. 

Club Orange Program Benefits (hollandamerica.com)

OP @TomBeckCruise sorry for the thread hijack.  I get sidetracked easily!

~Nancy

How did you choose "oakridger"?  I'm from OR, TN

Sorry if I asked this in the past.

29 minutes ago, TomBeckCruise said:

How did you choose "oakridger"?  I'm from OR, TN

Sorry if I asked this in the past.

I was born there!  Waaaay back when!  Left after 5th grade.  I am in touch with a couple people that still live there though.  

If you want, email me at oakridgercruise@gmail.com to compare notes!!!  

~Nancy

4 hours ago, LetItSnow said:

I booked a cruise just a little more than a month out on Rotterdam and all that was available was an inside cabin.  As time went on, I began to regret the decision thinking it was not going to be pleasant and we would be miserable.  However, we made up our mind to just suck it up.  5 days before sailing, I got an email offering an upgrade to Ocean View or a Veranda cabin.  I couldn't dial the HA phone number quick enough!  I ended up with an aft Veranda cabin for $349pp additional.  Wife doesn't know it yet and will let her be surprised when we open the cabin door for the first time. We sail on Friday.

Moral of the story is, book it if you really want to go even if it isn't your preferred accommodation.  If something opens up and you're willing to pay the additional charge, it's a bonus.

Happy wife, Happy Life (or cruise in this case) lol

• Like 2

I suggest booking a cabin that you would be happy with and NOT gambling on an upgrade.  As Marty posted earlier, cruises are more popular than ever and are selling out earlier than ever.  Book early.

The savings of an oceanview over a balcony (on Volendam on suites are balcony cabins) could easily cover your drinks, shore excursions and other incidentals.  The Canada/NE sailing has great ports to enjoy.

• Like 2

With the ocean view cabins on deck 3, keep in mind you will need to keep the curtains closed. The wind looks directly out on the very popular "promenade", everyone out for there daily steps will have a clear view into your cabin. Something to consider. 

23 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

With the ocean view cabins on deck 3, keep in mind you will need to keep the curtains closed. The wind looks directly out on the very popular "promenade", everyone out for there daily steps will have a clear view into your cabin. Something to consider. 

In addition, your "ocean view" is really the ocean off in the distance past the wide promenade deck, any pedestrians and the railing.  Not my idea of ocean view at all.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2

17 hours ago, crystalspin said:

If you can get a midship OV on Deck 3, forward of 3378/3373, you will be steps away from the biggest balcony on the ship -- The Promenade. If you don't get your upgrade. Keep in mind there are no Verandah (balcony) rooms on the Volendam -- the lowest balcony cabin is the Vista Suite. And then there are the Lanai rooms, on Deck 3, with their reserved deckchairs on the Promenade. But they sell out fast, too. 

Agree.

Have booked both a vista suite and an ocean view on Zanndam and Volendam. Crystalspin isright on about ocean views on deck three having easy access to the promenade so they are a great option if Vista is not available, or out of your price tolerance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have spent over 200 days in an ocean view cabin on the Dolphin Deck of the Amsterdam, Maasdam and Volendam. Even thought we love a veranda, these cabins are great choices on the smaller ships. Two flights up and you are outside. The promenade deck on the Volendam has wonderful lounge chairs. You won’t miss the veranda especially if you hit three straight weeks of rain…..which happened the year we had an aft facing veranda. 😝 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think the windows are coated, or just the fact that it's brighter outside than in (like your house windows in the day) -- it just FEELS like people can see in because you can see them. Most people close curtains at night, just like at home. 

There was someone who photographed all the partially and fully obstructed views on the Auld Amsterdam (it may be archived on HalFacts.com), and I believe they said you had to put your nose up to the window day or night to see inside. 

The Vista Suites on Zaandam/Volendam are about twice the cabin of the OVs particularly on the Lower Promenade Deck 3. Very roomy and enough storage for 3 adults! If money (and availability) were no issue, it would be hard to choose! I guess that's where the Lanai cabins come in!

Thanks @crystalspin, when we were on Zaandam last year you could definitely see in the deck 3 OV cabins when walking on the promenade deck.

The Vista Suites (the lowest cabin class with a veranda) are quite comfortable for 2, 3 would be a squeeze. We enjoyed ours.

On 2/14/2024 at 3:52 PM, LetItSnow said:

Hope you’ll report back and let us know your wife’s reaction when she discovered the awesome upgraded room. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ORTravelGal said:

Hope you’ll report back and let us know your wife’s reaction when she discovered the awesome upgraded room. 

Yes, please let us know!!  It sounds like a great surprise!

~Nancy

We had a window on the Zaandam on deck 3.  No one could see in the window in the day time.  It looks like a mirror when anyone looks in.  We even laughed as we caught someone combing their hair in our "mirror".  You can see in at night when the lights are on so close the drape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home after a great 10-day sailing.  As soon as we boarded, I said to my wife, let's go take a look at the room.  She said, "what for" since we usually don't do that until much later!  The look on her face was priceless when I opened the door.  Not only was there sunlight shining through,  the view was excellent!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, LetItSnow said:

Just got home after a great 10-day sailing.  As soon as we boarded, I said to my wife, let's go take a look at the room.  She said, "what for" since we usually don't do that until much later!  The look on her face was priceless when I opened the door.  Not only was there sunlight shining through,  the view was excellent!

Hearing your story made me smile!  Thanks for sharing, and I'm sure your wife was thrilled!

~Nancy