NYTimes still printed for library?

Toad

4 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I do not recall seeing it in the library.

That's a shame. I really enjoyed when they delivered it to your cabin. I liked getting the baseball scores (even if they were a day old) and doing the crossword puzzle.

• Like 2

Just now, BobbiSox said:

I wonder if they would print it for you if you asked. Smile when you ask. Say please. 😊

Now that’s a good thought.  We haven’t sailed since 2019 and husband thinks it was delivered to suite every morning. I don’t recall that but he is the one who cares so maybe it was?

The Navigator App has a section where you can link to Newspapers via the ship intranet.  The complete daily versions of many newpapers are available. I was able to read my Ottawa newspaper as it was among about 5 other Canadian newspapers. I believe I saw the New York Times among some other American newspapers.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Toad said:

Now that’s a good thought.  We haven’t sailed since 2019 and husband thinks it was delivered to suite every morning. I don’t recall that but he is the one who cares so maybe it was?

At one time (but well before 2019) I think they were delivered to cabins. Then for a while I think you could ask for them at Guest Services -- maybe still true?

At any rate, I think they are a bit anachronistic now. Oceania still provides them but as I would read them each night, I realized that they were repeating news I had heard the day before on my stateroom TV (I tend to watch BBC news as I am getting dressed).

They used to print trivia and puzzles as well. When I asked they said they didn't any longer but printed me a few pages of trivia from old files. I think depending on who you ask, you may get it printed. When one person says no, we usually ask another. Supposedly it's for environmental reasons and to conserve paper/recycling. But if you ask for extra EFFY ads, they will print many. 🤣

I find the concept of receiving a proper newspaper at sea a little odd. Wouldn't that require the ship to have a full printing press and the paper come digitally by satellite. For them to  run the "paper".  Call me skeptical but somehow I don't think a current issue of any daily paper was delivered to your suite.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Call me skeptical but somehow I don't think a current issue of any daily paper was delivered to your suite.

It was an abbreviated version of the NYT, but it was 8 pages of current news, delivered daily to every cabin---not just the suites. 
After the ships stopped delivering, they were available in several public locations, including the Front Desk, Lido, Library, (and guessing) Dining room. 

The time of day the paper was available varied based on where in the world the ship was at the time. 
The Times transmitted the data very early in the morning/middle of the night eastern time. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They used to deliver a printed summary NYT of about 8 pages. It would be left outside. It had a bit of news, some sports and the crossword. They also had a Canadian news one that could be requested. They stopped delivering, and then they were available at guest services. They had a stand with the various “newspapers” on it. The news was current. They likely received the summary edition overnight and printed them up. 
These days with everyone glued to their phones I guess it was decided to be unnecessary.

(Edit) I see Ruth beat me to this answer!

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I find the concept of receiving a proper newspaper at sea a little odd. Wouldn't that require the ship to have a full printing press and the paper come digitally by satellite. For them to  run the "paper".  Call me skeptical but somehow I don't think a current issue of any daily paper was delivered to your suite.

Of course it wasn’t an entire paper. It was generally two printed pages of major stories from around the world, and as I said in the original post, “in summary”.  I’m sorry if you didn’t understand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I miss it...used to love to pick one up in lido for breakfast and read the NYT recap...and remember that i was not alone as they were in high demand in the lido and passed around ....much more enjoyable for me than trying to stare at a tiny smartphone version.  I suspect if they asked passengers do you prefer to receive the NYT recap or the constant barrage of printed ads to be thrown into the trash that the NYT would win by a landslide so the oh but the paper wasted seems somewhat lame.

So to me just another tiny little cut to what used to be along with dozens of other "tiny" little cuts that overtime add up....but i will still cruise and work around it all and enjoy today's version of the cruise life.

• Like 2

ontheweb- I agree with you. Years ago on the Veendam, the papers were in the mailbox when I left to go to breakfast. It was still nice to get the baseball scores, even though they were a day old.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BetsyS. said:

ontheweb- I agree with you. Years ago on the Veendam, the papers were in the mailbox when I left to go to breakfast. It was still nice to get the baseball scores, even though they were a day old.

I gave a like, but here's also a thank you for agreeing with me. 😊

It should be added that they had a lot of other newspaper digests, so passengers from countries other than the USA also received newspaper digests from their native countries.

• Like 2

I am sure I would pick up one of those NYT eight page papers, if they were available. However, it is as unnecessary to me as a ship library with printed books, I get what I really want digitally. Instead of reading the eight pages over my morning cup of coffee, I read a book on my Kindle.

With internet access I read the news onboard on my laptop just as I do at home. The e-edition software my local paper uses is superior, provides a beautiful facsimile of the print edition, although the newspaper itself gets worse and worse as its staff gets smaller and smaller. The large city paper I subscribe to (I won't mention the name, the fact based media annoys half the US population) has excellent crossword puzzles in addition to national and international news and more stuff than I can possibly read. I can do without the mini New York Times.

Edited by whogo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, whogo said:

I am sure I would pick up one of those NYT eight page papers, if they were available. However, it is as unnecessary to me as a ship library with printed books, I get what I really want digitally. Instead of reading the eight pages over my morning cup of coffee, I read a book on my Kindle.

With internet access I read the news onboard on my laptop just as I do at home. The e-edition software my local paper uses is superior, provides a beautiful facsimile of the print edition, although the newspaper itself gets worse and worse as its staff gets smaller and smaller. The large city paper I subscribe to (I won't mention the name, the fact based media annoys half the US population) has excellent crossword puzzles in addition to national and international news and more stuff than I can possibly read. I can do without the mini New York Times.

Obviously, we can all live without that NY Times summary digest, but many of us enjoyed getting it (or similar newspapers from their home country), and it was one of the things that made HAL different from all other mainstream cruise lines. Little things can make a big difference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ontheweb- I agree with you again that "little things can make a big difference."

HAL knows that not all of its passengers have a smartphone, tablet or laptop. 

Even though passengers can get news on TV, I always liked taking the newspaper when I went to breakfast. 

• Like 3

I haven't seen a printed newspaper summary the last three cruises on HAL. We did enjoy having access to the New York Times through the navigator app. You can read it all you like even if you don't have a wifi package. And - best of all, it will recognize your New York Times account if you have one and keep your Wordle results. I was even able to share my Wordle with my brother every day. Since I didn't have the wifi package it sent the shared result to him at the next port when I hopped on mobile data. 

• Like 1