Honest question: Why do parents take young kids on Celebrity?

CruisinShips

I'm not asking this because we dislike kids...but to the contrary.  Our recent Apex cruise we saw maybe 15 kids the whole time, and each time I couldn't help but think "those poor kids must be so bored".

So why do parents with kids choose Celebrity?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

I'm not asking this because we dislike kids...but to the contrary.  Our recent Apex cruise we saw maybe 15 kids the whole time, and each time I couldn't help but think "those poor kids must be so bored".

Because you have to liquidate all of your assets to sail on Disney and most of the other options are either enormous, rowdy, or otherwise unpleasant. 🙂

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

I can picture kids, when on a Celebrity ship, docked beside other ships and looking longingly across the pier at the massive waterslides, rock climbing walls, flow riders, etc. and having the beginning seeds of a lifetime of parental resentment!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My kids have sailed RCCL and Celebrity. The water slides and rock wall made no difference in their overall enjoyment. What you see and feel "those poor kids" isn't in reality what my kids reported, as a matter of fact they opted to stay with Celebrity after sailing both lines a few times. RCCL was loud, crowded and the vibe was too hectic. Celebrity has an amazing kids club and the smaller group size made it more comfortable for both my introvert and extrovert sons. Before becoming empty nesters we sailed as a family and always picked itineraries that gave us variety and plenty of things we wanted to do and see together. I'd bet money if you asked my kids who are now 35yrs & 27yrs what are their favorite trips/vacations, RCCL will never be at the top of their list. 

Patty 

• Like 23

9 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

I can picture kids, when on a Celebrity ship, docked beside other ships and looking longingly across the pier at the massive waterslides, rock climbing walls, flow riders, etc. and having the beginning seeds of a lifetime of parental resentment!

Your overall generalization of all kids is very short sighted.  Will some of course, but I know many, my cousins kids and a few other families, who do not want to go on NCL or RCCL after they started going on Celebrity.  like mentioned, its just a madhouse and tends to be a lot of one big click type atmosphere, On the RCCL/NCL ships.  

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, cw2go said:

My kids have sailed RCCL and Celebrity. The water slides and rock wall made no difference in their overall enjoyment. What you see and feel "those poor kids" isn't in reality what my kids reported, as a matter of fact they opted to stay with Celebrity after sailing both lines a few times. RCCL was loud, crowded and the vibe was too hectic. Celebrity has an amazing kids club and the smaller group size made it more comfortable for both my introvert and extrovert sons. Before becoming empty nesters we sailed as a family and always picked itineraries that gave us variety and plenty of things we wanted to do and see together. I'd bet money if you asked my kids who are now 35yrs & 27yrs what are their favorite trips/vacations, RCCL will never be at the top of their list. 

Patty 

Interesting and nice to hear.  As a Diamond on Royal who used to sail with my kids until they became adults and then we discovered Celebrity, I am glad to hear that.  On our recent Apex cruise, I felt bad for the few kids we saw....glad to hear that isn't the case!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CruisinShips said:

Our recent Apex cruise we saw maybe 15 kids the whole time, and each time I couldn't help but think "those poor kids must be so bored".

mine is not bored without any other kids. He does not want to make friends on a cruise, he doesn't want to play with other kids, and he is an introvert.  DS lasted about 30 minutes in a kid's club during his first cruise (RCI) and said never again.  He doesn't care about a cruise being loud, crowded and hectic, he just doesn't care for other kids.

His favorite line is Princess, but we are going to give Celebrity a try (3 tries 🙂 ).

Just yesterday he was telling me that if he won a multimillion lottery, he'd just purchase a year round cruise on Princess.

34 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

A year ago on Oasis DS didn't do any of this. I vowed not to spend my money on RCI ships anymore because he didn't want to do any activities. The only thing he enjoyed tremendously was laser tag.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Kids sail free promotions

personal attention in kids club

there are probably other reasons too

Because if mom and dad are stressed out by the crowds and all the unnecessary noise, the kid are stressed too. Sometimes, you just want a relaxing atmosphere to spend time together. 

• Like 7

With low numbers there is a lot of personal attention in the clubs on Celebrity. I will always remember the short line of happy kids waiting for ice cream . They have made pirate hats and had faces painted.. looked perfect to me

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

mine is not bored without any other kids. He does not want to make friends on a cruise, he doesn't want to play with other kids, and he is an introvert.  DS lasted about 30 minutes in a kid's club during his first cruise (RCI) and said never again.  He doesn't care about a cruise being loud, crowded and hectic, he just doesn't care for other kids.

His favorite line is Princess, but we are going to give Celebrity a try (3 tries 🙂 ).

Just yesterday he was telling me that if he won a multimillion lottery, he'd just purchase a year round cruise on Princess.

A year ago on Oasis DS didn't do any of this. I vowed not to spend my money on RCI ships anymore because he didn't want to do any activities. The only thing he enjoyed tremendously was laser tag.

Agreed mine (teenagers) have no interest in making friends and one would rather jump off ship than go to a club.  They did go on RCL and liked the activities but also like the chill atmosphere of Celebrity (Bermuda in the summer so the crowd trended younger.) Dud Disney once in Alaska and it was amazing but even if I still had little kids I couldn’t justify the price.  Service was out of control good and the staff amazing however, this was 2016 so I’m sure a lot has changed.   

• Like 1

Very interesting and informative replies.  I learned some perspectives I hadn't considered (as my kids, for the most part enjoyed the social aspects of RCL cruises).  And that's exactly why I asked the question as I now know I need not feel sorry for the limited kids I see on future Celebrity cruises!

Thanks all.

• Like 3

We took our children on a Holland America cruise in Alaska. The boys were 3,8 and 12. There were only a few kids on board besides ours. The crew was wonderful with them. Although the older two would have preferred a flow rider on the ship, they understood that the trip was chosen because we had three generations traveling with us.

We made such wonderful memories that week with both sets of grandparents with us. Sometimes being together is what it is all about. Thankfully we got to experience that.

• Like 4

I worked in the kids program on Celebrity and one of the big upsides is exactly what someone else mentioned. With fewer kids, we could really tailor the program to the individual. Especially for younger kids there is plenty to do in the kids program. For older kids who might not want to join in the kids program there is also the opportunity to let them practice a little independence in a relatively safe environment (with proper ground rules and boundaries established and depending on the kid, regular check ins). 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, kr00t0n said:

I think people forget that not all kids are extroverted, hyped-up sugar-monsters.

Not sure if a kid has to be those things to enjoy waterslides and other kids' activities.  Seeing what comes across as almost defensiveness from some people responding in this thread (not directing this at you), it makes me wonder if I had posted this same discussion topic in the RCL forum, the responses would have been completely different.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CruisinShips said:

Not sure if a kid has to be those things to enjoy waterslides and other kids' activities.

Never said it did, but an extroverted, hyped-up sugar monster would almost certainly have a worse time on a Celebrity cruise than a Royal one 😉

My hyperbolic statement was more about people forgetting that, much like adults, kids have an entire spectrum of interests, social needs, and energy types, but you'd only really notice the EHUSMs out and about by virtue of them being EHUSMs 😄 

(If people can use DW/DH/DS/DD, I can create EHUSM)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Except you are thinking like an adult with this. For a kid being on a huge ship can be the adventure. Having ice cream at lunch and dinner everyday is the fun. Spending all day in the pool is exciting. Go to new places can be fun. Not being in school can be the best. Sometimes with kids it isnt the big exciting things that matter most. My daughter has just as much fun at the giant indoor playground filled with other kids as she does on the small neighbor playground with just us.  

PS This of course isnt every kid but hopefully my point stands on its own without that.

Edited by georgiaguy
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

must be so bored

Is that why you started the thread 🤣

Just like adults, different children like different things! If we all liked exactly the same thing, every single cruiser would be sailing on the same line, to the same place at exactly the same time!

• Like 1

My kids love Celebrity. They have been on Carnival, NCL, Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. They started cruising when they were 2 and 5. They are now 27 and 24 and if asked what their favorite cruise line is they will say Celebrity by far. They have been mostly on Celebrity……their choice

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

My kids love Celebrity. They have been on Carnival, NCL, Princess, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. They started cruising when they were 2 and 5. They are now 27 and 24 and if asked what their favorite cruise line is they will say Celebrity by far. They have been mostly on Celebrity……their choice

Our next cruise will be the first cruise without our kids - they are in their 20s now 🤭 - and I’m sure it will feel strange without them as they have been cruising with us since they were 4 and 6. Oh, they have made sure they’re not missing out on our summer Japan cruise though 🤣.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

We have taken our two kids on 14 Celebrity cruises starting with our first cruise on Century back in 1996 were they were 3 yrs old (daughter) and 7 months old (son).  We chose Celebrity for the following reasons:

1. Celebrity does a very nice job with kids.  Our two children loved the kids program.

2. When we go cruising, choosing a line that is "best" for kids is not our number one priority.  As someone posted earlier, this is the same reason we took our kids to the national parks when they were very young. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c32e1efa818ab3140f187c74a907d1f9.jpeg

Katie at Mt Rainier National Park, 1993

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 8