Pinnacle Class Cabins = Noise

BF3

I'm a light sleeper. How soundproof are the cabins? Can you hear people walking in the cabin above you, people talking in the cabin beside you, people in the hallway? Thank you.

I don’t know if that class is different than the others.  I’ve been on the older ones. 

the only time I hear anything is if people are talking loudly in the hallway.  I’ve never heard anything above or below.  

• Like 1

Choose a stateroom with staterooms above and below.  Don’t choose a connecting stateroom.  Stay far away from music and gambling venues and the showroom.  Yes, you can hear people talking in the hallway as they pass by.  I travel with a portable white sound machine which helps me sleep onboard.  

• Like 2

We avoid deck 8 because of pool and lido.  We try to pick a cabin sandwiched between decks with cabins.  We have had connected cabins and only once was there a problem.   We were onboard for 42 days and only 7 were a problem with LOUD folks next door.   We knew all sbout their marriage problems, their kid ‘s issues, how much they disliked Americans (we are 🤣), what they liked or disliked about the food …. You get the just - they were LOUD.  We were very glad when they departed!   

Just be sure you look above and below - oh and we have never had elevator noises either.  

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

Choose a stateroom with staterooms above and below.  Don’t choose a connecting stateroom.  Stay far away from music and gambling venues and the showroom.  Yes, you can hear people talking in the hallway as they pass by.  I travel with a portable white sound machine which helps me sleep onboard.  

After mistakenly booking a stateroom with a connecting door in 2022, I learned that younger couples tend to be very religious in calling out to God at all hours. 

I am another many-year white noise machine user.

• Haha 10

2 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

I would add: if motion sickness is not an issue pick the far ends of the ship as only people who live down there come by.  There is no pass through traffic.  Of course, you never know when you get a bad draw and get the noisy neighbors.  I never have had noisy neighbors but I have heard stories. 

• Like 3

Two cruises on the Koningsdam with connecting cabins, I heard nothing.  Even asked my neighbors and they agreed.   One said they thought my cabin was unoccupied.    

• Haha 1

I’ve been on 2 Pinnacle Class ships.  In both cases my cabin was in a good location (deck 4 aft).

on the first cruise - a B2B2B I had VERY loud neighbours who came rolling in at all hours and were very loud, loud voices and TV.  turning on my TV helped solve the problem.  Fortunately they were only on for one segment.

Other than that, I’ve heard no noise and the neighbours who were so loud were definitely an anomaly on HAL.  I found the cabins as quiet as the other classes of ships.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

I second the vote for using a sound machine or equivalent.

We use a sound machine at home, and wen travelling use a sound App on our tablet. That way where ever we are (home or away) , we have a consistent background sleep noise which blocks most outside noises.

• Like 2

One more thing, don't book a cabin next to any white space.  Could be crew's kitchen or some sort of working area.  You will hear lots of dishes crashing and noise, as all the dishes from room service end up there first.  It goes on all day.  

• Like 2

I agree with others advice to bring some aid to help.  Noise on a ship can come from all sort of places.  You can hear the crew working in the hallways.  Some passengers love to talk loudly in the hallways.  Some people allow cabin doors to close freely on their own - aka, slam.  Others have loud televisions and music.  Some passengers like to have full enjoyment of their balconies and will out all day talking and with music playing (bluetooth speakers are really portable and easy to carry).  Still others, like our neighbour on our Nov cruise, hung clothes out to dry every day and we had to endure the clanging of the wooden hanger on the lounge chair.  Some don't mind letting their kids run up and down the halls.  And, as some posters can attest, some allow their dogs to run and bark in the hallways.  

1 hour ago, albingirl said:

One more thing, don't book a cabin next to any white space.  Could be crew's kitchen or some sort of working area.  You will hear lots of dishes crashing and noise, as all the dishes from room service end up there first.  It goes on all day.  

Yes, great advice.  Pay attention to white space as that is generally crew working space.

• Like 1

I recently (not on HAL) had a cabin with TWO connecting doors, for cabins on either side of me. One kept trying to open the door at all hours. It happened so often (without success, of course) that I figured the occupants were confusing the connecting door for the door to their bathroom. Other than that, no noise. Ah, but the other cabin...constant shouting, laughter, and general mayhem. No noise from either below or above.

Avoid cabins with connecting doors. I have had a connecting cabin on both the Koningsdam and the Rotterdam and have heard my neighbors.  One guy had covid and sounded like he was coughing up a lung. Poor guy but not nice to listen to.  On the Rotterdam I just heard them laughing and talking sometimes.  I'm sure they didn't like me either as to drown them out I turned up my TV.