Lido Table Hogs, and Another Line's Solution

Roz

11 hours ago, syesmar said:

You do you.

Huh?  All I want is a place to sit down to eat my meal.  I'm not some weirdo. 

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

I wonder whether the huge increase in remote work during the pandemic has had an impact on our mis-use of public spaces.  A little while ago I was reading an article of a coffee chain in my city that was recently sold and was closing some of its locations.  The owner was interviewed and stated that you can't look at the number of people sitting in the coffee shop as an indication of success as these are people who spend very little and spend hours working.  It seems like this has become a normal thing for some people to do.  Buy a coffee, grab a table and spend an entire afternoon using the free wifi.  It would seem that offering free wifi to attract customers has created unforeseen issues for many land based establishments.

I mention this as it seems like many people have forgotten, or don't care, that these establishments are profit seeking companies.  There is a need for them to turn over the tables often.  Customers hogging the tables actually cost them money in lost sales.  

This mindset of being able to use public shared spaces for as long as I want seems to be spreading to cruise ships, at the same time, cruise ships are introducing faster and faster internet connections at sea.  Many cruise passengers are now purchasing faster internet connections for working cruises and it is naive to think that these passengers will be working in their cabins.  Will the unintended outcome on cruise ships be the same as on land with more and more passengers claiming public spaces as their own to work all day or surf online all day?

Edited by cbr663
  • Like 11

@cbr663, interesting observation.  

My local McDonald's has signs saying 20 minutes is the limit for tables.  I've never seen the manager say anything to customers, but at the same time I've never seen people park themselves there and work for extended amounts of time.  So the message must be getting through.  

If you get up and order additional drinks or food,  that's OK and you're not going to be kicked out. 

• Like 5

It's funny how people want to "work at home" because of risk of infection, and the work place is too crowded; but they will sit in a commercial space surrounded by strangers from who knows where, and that's okay. Not to mention being a financial drain on the poor shop owner that just wants to sell a coffee and a muffin with a proper turn over of happy patrons.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, lyndarra said:

This twigged a memory cell. What happened to the Microsoft classrooms? I would often go to the lectures to brush up my computer skills.

Crystal had a deal with microsoft years ago that offered free computer classes....as i recall every single class was standing room only as people wanted to learn and had many questions.  I suspect that a similar series of lectures and classes would also be a big hit today on most all ships. Hard to imagine that it would be all that difficult to find a couple of qualified computer guru types to provide such a popular service in exchange for a free cruise. 

I also remember a few lectures/classes on topics like estate planning, wills, etc that were also standing room only . These were done by retired cpas, lawyers etc in exchange for a free cruise as I remember meeting a few of the "teachers" who said they loved doing it.  

Seems that there are many people who are interested in learning and could be a great opportunity for a cruise line to provide a different type of "entertainment" for very little cost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

It's funny how people want to "work at home" because of risk of infection, and the work place is too crowded; but they will sit in a commercial space surrounded by strangers from who knows where, and that's okay. Not to mention being a financial drain on the poor shop owner that just wants to sell a coffee and a muffin with a proper turn over of happy patrons.

My son and his wife, my daughter, and my oldest grandson all worked from home during the pandemic and for several days a week continue to do so. None of them ever went to a coffee shop to work, as they enjoyed the peace and quiet working at home. Quite frankly, I don't see the appeal of working in a coffee shop.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, dockman said:

Crystal had a deal with microsoft years ago that offered free computer classes....as i recall every single class was standing room only as people wanted to learn and had many questions.  I suspect that a similar series of lectures and classes would also be a big hit today on most all ships. Hard to imagine that it would be all that difficult to find a couple of qualified computer guru types to provide such a popular service in exchange for a free cruise. 

I also remember a few lectures/classes on topics like estate planning, wills, etc that were also standing room only . These were done by retired cpas, lawyers etc in exchange for a free cruise as I remember meeting a few of the "teachers" who said they loved doing it.  

Seems that there are many people who are interested in learning and could be a great opportunity for a cruise line to provide a different type of "entertainment" for very little cost.

HAL had Microsoft classes for years. I learned a lot of good tips, especially about photo editing. A year ago on Eurodam, the classroom was empty. Lincoln Center group used it as a warm-up/tuning area because it was near their performance area. Now, I think the old computer classrooms are used for the arts and crafts classes. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

My son and his wife, my daughter, and my oldest grandson all worked from home during the pandemic and for several days a week continue to do so. None of them ever went to a coffee shop to work, as they enjoyed the peace and quiet working at home. Quite frankly, I don't see the appeal of working in a coffee shop.

You don't have to make your own coffee? 

I agree with you. I worked at home for years and had no desire to hang out in the local coffee shop with my laptop. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Roz said:

In the past I had no problem asking to share a table with others, but lately (post-Covid) I've found more people reluctant to do that.  When I approach them I get "the look", or they make up some vague, bogus excuse such as we're waiting for friends, or that seat is already taken. 

DH likes to eat alone for meals, but otherwise, we like sitting with other people during trivia, events, excursions, etc. and the majority of time when we invite others, or are so bold as to ask to sit with others, we get these excuses.  Its not worth getting upset over anymore, but I feel like people in general are only interested in socializing in their established bubbles.  But I do think we need to continue to try to make connections with others, even if 80% of the time it doesn't pan out.  The other 20% might make it highly worthwhile.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, cbr663 said:

A little while ago I was reading an article of a coffee chain in my city that was recently sold and was closing some of its locations.  The owner was interviewed and stated that you can't look at the number of people sitting in the coffee shop as an indication of success as these are people who spend very little and spend hours working.  It seems like this has become a normal thing for some people to do.  Buy a coffee, grab a table and spend an entire afternoon using the free wifi.  It would seem that offering free wifi to attract customers has created unforeseen issues for many land based establishments.

I mention this as it seems like many people have forgotten, or don't care, that these establishments are profit seeking companies.  There is a need for them to turn over the tables often.

Just to throw an "on the other hand" out there....

In Europe, you don't get the same push to turn over tables. Once you sit down, on the Piazza Navona or on the Champs Elysee, for example, and order your coffee or hot chocolate or glass of vino/vin, you are basically the owner of that table for as long as you care to remain.

Why is there such a difference? From experience, I would think it's as likely that the Starbuck's "resident" crowd will order a second coffee or a pastry or even their lunch there, since they are already parked. Just as someone in a cafe in France might order a second coffee or .... well, you get the idea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We usually avoid the lido, but when I wander in there, off hours, I never see any difficulty for seating.  But, it's the off hours.  I'm usually perusing the sweets, and generally walking away, terrified of the calories but interested in the offerings. It's always torture.  I can't help myself lol.

• Haha 3

I think Princess struggles with this issue as most of their ships don't have an observation lounge with large tables.  Most of the lounges on board princess ships always have things going on and the tables tend to be small, circular, and with a light in the middle that's not moveable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Just to throw an "on the other hand" out there....

In Europe, you don't get the same push to turn over tables. Once you sit down, on the Piazza Navona or on the Champs Elysee, for example, and order your coffee or hot chocolate or glass of vino/vin, you are basically the owner of that table for as long as you care to remain.

Why is there such a difference? From experience, I would think it's as likely that the Starbuck's "resident" crowd will order a second coffee or a pastry or even their lunch there, since they are already parked. Just as someone in a cafe in France might order a second coffee or .... well, you get the idea.

I love how, in Italy, they bring a bowl of chips to go with your wine or beer.  Well, that makes us stay longer.  The salt makes us thirsty for another round!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, albingirl said:

I love how, in Italy, they bring a bowl of chips to go with your wine or beer.  Well, that makes us stay longer.  The salt makes us thirsty for another round!

It's genius!!

Also, a related question: why do those chips seem to taste so much better there? 😂

• Like 2

On 3/3/2024 at 2:47 PM, NCTribeFan said:

I'll be on Virgin for 14 nights on a TA in April, then 10 nights RT from Athens a couple of days later.  We have at least 6 that play dominoes.  It will be nice to have somewhere to play that won't take space away from diners but still has some amenities.

When you return, please report back on what you thought of Virgin's Social Room.  My friend, a bridge player, loved it.  She was sailing solo, but always found a table that needed a 4th.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I agree with you completely @Fouremco. I was just commenting on the post by @cbr663 which was talking about so many "work from home" workers are actually at the coffee shop in a crowd of strangers, taking up valuable chair space. Rather than being sequestered at home which was the whole purpose of "Work from home" in the first place. I work in an industry where "work at home isn't an option. We are still trying to find new personnel for those that moved on over the last few years.

• Like 3

On a recent Rotterdam TA there was a group of mojong players who "reserved " 3 Crows Nest tables every morning but didn't begin play until after lunch.  After a day or two, people began to move their briefcases and sit at the tables.  The players found their tables open after 1pm.  It all worked out...maybe they got the message.  One thing we like about HAL is the abundance of places to sit by a window on many of the decks...and play a game or just be.  There are available tables for everyone.  Being considerate of others is the key.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2024 at 11:47 AM, OlsSalt said:

Once we get on board, we can get a better feel for the lay of the land and the scheduling interferences. But for that first group book club meeting,  what have others done?

You can reserve one of the meeting rooms for a few hours. On the Eurodam, and Nieuw Amsterdam they're near the shops. There's no charge for the room. 

Edited by Boatdrill

On 3/2/2024 at 6:25 PM, mcrcruiser said:

It seems to me that HAL has floor supervision at the Lido buffet .Thus, if people are using the table for card playing etc. during peak meal times, then a person should ask the floor supervisor to ask those people to vacate, then there is no interaction with passengers 

I doubt the staff would want to get involved !  

• Like 3

OlsSalt - I know that ships are different but when we were recently on Oosterdam for 3 weeks we noticed the Pinnacle Bar and Ocean Bar areas to be nice spots where small groups or individuals were reading or enjoying conversation during the day.  Of course, the Ocean Bar provided beverages.  There's sooooooooooo much room in the Lido and on the Lido pool deck I have a hard time worrying about others having a good time.  I thought it was awesome when we saw 2-10 persons enjoying a game and enjoying their meal.  When you choose to travel with over 1000 of your best friends you may have to have an open mind and a good attitude.  JMO. Cherie 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

You can reserve one of the meeting rooms for a few hours. On the Eurodam, and Nieuw Amsterdam they're near the shops. There's no charge for the room. 

on the Zuiderdam the meeting room had a wall of windows. What a view but hard to pay attention to my bridge playing. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I agree with you completely @Fouremco. I was just commenting on the post by @cbr663 which was talking about so many "work from home" workers are actually at the coffee shop in a crowd of strangers, taking up valuable chair space. Rather than being sequestered at home which was the whole purpose of "Work from home" in the first place. I work in an industry where "work at home isn't an option. We are still trying to find new personnel for those that moved on over the last few years.

Just wanted to provide a correction.  My posted mentioned remote workers, not work from home.  Please don't quote me as writing something that I did not.  There is considerable difference between a remote worker and a worker that works from home.

• Like 1