Ducks! Okay, let’s talk.

My ducks are packed and ready to go on cruise to Hawaii on the 16th!  They take so little room in the suitcase and are so fun to hide.  Like another guest stated, I often have one in purse to give to a young child.   Staff love them and I always leave one for room steward.   

• Like 2

I am usually a 'girl who wants to have fun'...

But...  ducks????

On this I am a 'curmudgeon'...    Sorry....  

I see this like any other thing when there are those who think they can make their own use of a general public space.

I guess I don't really care about your duck, what it looks like, where you are from, etc...

I guess people just think they have to 'leave their mark'.

My motto is Leave No Trace.

If a cruise line wanted to organize hide-and-seek events on certain days...  go for it!!!  

But, I see this differently.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, AVCruzers said:

My ducks are packed and ready to go on cruise to Hawaii on the 16th!  They take so little room in the suitcase and are so fun to hide.  Like another guest stated, I often have one in purse to give to a young child.   Staff love them and I always leave one for room steward.   

Do you own a Jeep. 😁

29 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

But...  ducks????

I see this like any other thing when there are those who think they can make their own use of a general public space.

I guess I don't really care about your duck, what it looks like, where you are from, etc...

If a cruise line wanted to organize hide-and-seek events on certain days...  go for it!!!  

I'm not one to hide ducks but I can't see any problem with hiding them as long as you don't jam up a water tight door. 

It's just innocent fun. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

But...  ducks????

Oh my!  But it is a ducklings' favorite game.....beak-a-boo!!🦆

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Korimako said:

How do you know that? 

I’ve seen them get so excited about finding a cruise duck!  We have several friends that are crew members and I’ve seen their collections … yes, indeed, many of them just love the little ducks.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, 555 said:

What happens if you hide a duck on a Disney ship?

Donald "gets medieval" on them.... 😲

image.jpeg.deef16d7bca8db7f1c67a8759bce3452.jpeg

I found a duck once in the art gallery. I moved it to a planter in the Piazza where it stayed for a couple of days before someone else must have discovered it hiding there. We don't take or collect ducks. We have enough of them already as our oldest son gave our youngest granddaughter a small backpack filled with different colored ducks! I'm hoping we have finally sent the last of them home with her but I would bet if I checked in "her room" (where she sleeps on a sleepover), or in the closet of that room, or in the front bathroom (where she bathes), or in her toy storage area, I would probably find a duck or two... or three... or four...

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

But...  ducks????

You said it, not us! 😄

On our Australia Majestic cruise, we found ducks, and at the Paddleduck winery they sold miniducks, decorated for the holidays, which we bought and took onboard. The MDR Hostess saw us putting one in the plant by the door one night and commented on how much she and several of her friends loved them; Fortuna Luck as well as our steward, same, so...

yes, some love them, some loathe them.

We enjoy them, and they are harmless if not flushed, etc.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

It’s almost like collecting throws at a Mardi Gras parade. 

I've seen what some people have done to get beads tossed their way at Mardi Gras.  I do NOT want to see that on a Princess ship!  😲

8 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

However, I want to see these little ducks made out of bird seed

Sounds a bit cannibalistic if you ask me.   Birds eating seeds from a feeder shaped like a bird. 

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

've seen what some people have done to get beads tossed their way at Mardi Gras.  I do NOT want to see that on a Princess ship!  😲

Meh... I've seen men with huge breasts out by the pool and they aren't wearing tops.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Meh... I've seen men with huge breasts out by the pool and they aren't wearing tops.

I'm getting a heck of a laugh out of the idea of throwing beads at these dudes. It's either going to get a laugh or you're going to have to run.....although probably not all that fast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, charliedalrymple said:

I've never actively looked for ducks on board but always hoped that I might randomly spot one. Never did.  Just how "hidden" are they?

I also am a Duck Hunter and also hide them.  Some have been in plan sight with people walking right past them with out noticing them.  Also, some did take a little looking to find them. Think hidden in behind a plant or something.

Happy Hunting on your next cruise.

Bob. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I’m beginning to cave as my DH loves those little ducks and has found quite a few of them.  It’s almost like collecting throws at a Mardi Gras parade. 
The crew absolutely love the collecting the ducks.  
However, I want to see these little ducks made out of bird seed or at least something that won’t cause any trouble in our environment! 

I would love to see homemade-hidden objects that are environmentally friendly, not plastic ducks purchased from China on Amazon. 

• Like 5

I have seen the ducks on the ship and usually just pass them by.  One time I took the duck and kept it until a young family sat near us on the Lido. so I put the duck in a conspicuous space so the little kid could find it and waited.  They found it and were so happy.  Good use for it.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Having sailed with Princess 5 times now I am surprised that I hadn't heard of the ducks until now. I certainly haven't seen one on board yet.

It sounds like fun but is it frowned upon by the crew or do they generally tolerate it?

Where do people hide them? How hidden? How many do people take? Where do you get them? What do you do when you find one?

This is a whole new angle to cruising for me... a bit like geocaching on a ship but without the complication of using GPS!

I was told the crew has a contest on some ships for who can find the most ducks. I think that's awesome. They work long and hard let them have a little fun. Right? I've found several ducks on my cruises this will be my first time at hiding them. I don't really care about registering them. Do I really need to register them?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 4x4bob said:

I also am a Duck Hunter

In my youth I was an actual duck hunter. One day I was out on a cold and blustery day and slogging around through the adobe mud. It was cold and unpleasant so I hunkered down against a rice check (low barrier that separates parcels and keeps the standing water in place) with some tall weeds kind of drooping over me in order to get out of the wind. I was tired and frustrated with the mud and hadn't had a shot at anything all morning. As I squatted there a flock of mallards came in for a landing right in front of me. There must have been maybe 15 - 28 ducks and they were "braking" with their wings to make a landing right in front of me. They had no clue I was there. A hunter's dream of a full limit right there.

They were sooooooo pretty and sooooooo cool... I watched them come down and then just stood up and waved my arms and told them to fly away. I never hunted again. These days I love seeing the ducks, geese, and pheasants when I'm out and about but have less than zero interest in shooting them.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

This is a whole new angle to cruising for me... a bit like geocaching on a ship but without the complication of using GPS!

I used to be an avid geocacher. I'd be out at the river on a moonless night at midnight searching for a new cache even though I had to get up at 5:45 the next morning for work. I had over 230 First to Find logs. These days I geocache very rarely and mostly just on vacation. As for the link to ducks: I have a bunch of Geocoins I have no idea what to do with including some from Geo Woodstock VII that our local group co-hosted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goldenrosebags said:

I was told the crew has a contest on some ships for who can find the most ducks. I think that's awesome. They work long and hard let them have a little fun. Right? I've found several ducks on my cruises this will be my first time at hiding them. I don't really care about registering them. Do I really need to register them?

No need to register your ducks that you want to hide.  The passports that most people attach around the Ducks Neck with a rubber band just gives the first name and home location of the person who hid the duck.  Plus a statement: "Conquakulations, you have found a Cruising Duck, yours to keep or hide again"..  Those who hide them a second time normally add their name to the passport.

I always take a photo of the location when I find one  for my trip photo album.  Then take the Duck home as a souvenir.

Good Hunting

Bob. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 5:38 PM, Bgwest said:

YES! 
There are definitely going to be some curmudgeons in the group who poo-poo the whole idea. Nevertheless, we typically take and hide 25 or so ducks depending on the length of the cruise. 
A lot of fun for both the giver and the recipient. 
We typically hold out a few without tags to give to some of the young kids that we see while on board. After, of course, getting permission from the parent.

Definitely a “Princess thing”. 

image.thumb.png.95ddf53c5e36722675e4b2d1e622151c.png

Where do you get your ducks from?

Tom😁

Since more people are showing an interest in Hiding Cruising Ducks let me review the Rules.

Ducks can be hid any place on the Ship EXCEPT: No place that will interfere with the crew, with the operation of the ship, on the top deck, in the shops and differently not in any Pool. 

Good Hunting

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Where do you get your ducks from?

Tom😁

To avoid any problems, let me suggest that big box store in the sky..

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, 4x4bob said:

To avoid any problems, let me suggest that big box store in the sky..

For us or the ducks?

On a more serious note (I think), I'll be sailing on Sun Princess in June with my 9 year old granddaughter, I think we'll give this a try. Sounds like fn and I bet she will love it. The cruise ducks are readily available on Amazon and I'm sure other places.

Edited by cynbar