Edge Dining Questions

So, we are both not a fan of buffets and specialty restaurants We have a problem paying for meals on a cruise) and this is our first cruise on The Edge for 7 nights to Alaska roundtrip from Seattle in May.  I have done some home work and looks like to avoid the buffet and specialty restaurants here is what I found being in Concierge Class and not doing room service:

Breakfast: 

Cosmopolitan Restaurant, Eden Cafe (Grab and go), and maybe Grand Plaza Cafe, mostly pastries

Lunch:

Cosmopolitan on sea days only, Eden Cafe (grab and go), Grand Plaza Cafe finger sandwiches, Eden, and Mast Grill for burgers.

Dinner:

Normandie, Tuscan, Cosmopolitan, and Cypress Restaurants, Mast Grill burgers.

Am I missing anything.

One reason we avoid the buffet is quality.  This is our second X cruise, the first on Solstice and we were not enamored with the buffet quality plus we not only had to deal with chair hogs at the pool, but we also had to deal with table hogs.  We actually saw people just sitting there playing solitaire, reading a book over coffee, and even a family playing games during the peak of the meal service.  We are two and one of us had to hold the table (making us just as bad) while the other got food.  By the time the other got through the line, the first was done and went for seconds so we never really got to eat together.  Someone suggested leaving a book or jacket, which in my opinion makes as just as guilty as table/chair hogs.

Any suggestions.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

So, we are both not a fan of buffets and specialty restaurants We have a problem paying for meals on a cruise) and this is our first cruise on The Edge for 7 nights to Alaska roundtrip from Seattle in May.  I have done some home work and looks like to avoid the buffet and specialty restaurants here is what I found being in Concierge Class and not doing room service:

Breakfast: 

Cosmopolitan Restaurant, Eden Cafe (Grab and go), and maybe Grand Plaza Cafe, mostly pastries

Lunch:

Cosmopolitan on sea days only, Eden Cafe (grab and go), Grand Plaza Cafe finger sandwiches, Eden, and Mast Grill for burgers.

Dinner:

Am I missing anything.

One reason we avoid the buffet is quality.  This is our second X cruise, the first on Solstice and we were not enamored with the buffet quality plus we not only had to deal with chair hogs at the pool, but we also had to deal with table hogs.  We actually saw people just sitting there playing solitaire, reading a book over coffee, and even a family playing games during the peak of the meal service.  We are two and one of us had to hold the table (making us just as bad) while the other got food.  By the time the other got through the line, the first was done and went for seconds so we never really got to eat together.  Someone suggested leaving a book or jacket, which in my opinion makes as just as guilty as table/chair hogs.

Any suggestions.

Leaving a book on the table or a jacket on a chair does not in any way make you a table hog.  You’re only gone for a few minutes, many do this and it is very acceptable.

Edited by Liao

You don’t say when you were on the Solstice but there was a period last fall into early winter where the quality of food declined and the buffet was cut back.  

Even during that period we felt the food was better on the E class ships.  Having taken 3 cruises on E class in the past 5 months I would suggest you give the buffet a try, just probably not on embarkation day.  

Even we when we are in a Suite we will go to the buffet for breakfast and lunch about 60% of the time.

We do however avoid the rush hours.  Breakfast for me is 9:30 - 10 and we routinely go to lunch between 1:30 and 2.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

You don’t say when you were on the Solstice but there was a period last fall into early winter where the quality of food declined and the buffet was cut back.  

Even during that period we felt the food was better on the E class ships.  Having taken 3 cruises on E class in the past 5 months I would suggest you give the buffet a try, just probably not on embarkation day.  

Even we when we are in a Suite we will go to the buffet for breakfast and lunch about 60% of the time.

We do however avoid the rush hours.  Breakfast for me is 9:30 - 10 and we routinely go to lunch between 1:30 and 2.  

Sorry, it was Sept 2022 the same route Dawes Glacier Inside Passage.  Grant you we were just pulling out of Covid and wasn't sure if the cruise was even happening.

You list the Mast Grill and won't head to the buffet???  Cannot figure that one out.

We had two of  our best dinners at the OceanView.  First there are few people and they served fresh local seafood on two nights.  Fish was made to order.  

while I respect the desires of the OP, you are really limiting your options (and hence your enjoyment) if you won't do the buffet or specialty.

I get the whole "don't want to pay more" thing, but frankly it's really just not a great strategy on a main-stream cruise.  You pay thousands, but won't pay $100 or so for a really memorable meal?  by all means, you do you, but personally I would make an exception to your "policy" and enjoy life.  

Same goes for the buffet, which costs nothing.  You might be surprised and enjoy it.

I have cruised on Regent, where pretty much everything is included, but I am still willing to spend extra (on a special excursion, for example) if that's what the wife and I want to do.  Why limit yourself?  Life is too short.

59 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Sorry, it was Sept 2022 the same route Dawes Glacier Inside Passage.  Grant you we were just pulling out of Covid and wasn't sure if the cruise was even happening.

At that time the buffet was barely operating.  Things are lots closer to precovid now.

You are indeed overthinking this.  As said we can usually go to the buffet mid morning and nobody there.  Lots of changes since September 2022.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

Breakfast: 

Lunch:

Dinner:

Am I missing anything.

Any suggestions.

I don't know where you're getting your information but there's no such place as Grand Plaza Cafe on any Celebrity Ship. The venue you're thinking of is Cafe Al Bacio and TBH there's not enough food there for an adequate lunch. Then you neglected to list the Spa Cafe for breakfast and lunch. Mast Grill isn't open for dinner as it closes at 6:00pm. Eden Cafe has been adjusting it's hours on various E--Class ships so you'll need to go on board to see what the hours are for your cruise since it may or may not be open during Port days. 

As others have said you have severely limiting yourself by not going to the buffet. Celebrity's E-Class buffets are the best among the mainstream lines.

Edit: The only time there was anything called the Grand Plaza Cafe was on the Edge's maiden voyage in December, 2018. It was located to the left of the Martini Bar. By the second maiden voyage, which we were on, it already had closed as a complete and utter failure of a food venue. So a cafe by that name literally existed for one week (not including review cruises) only on the Edge in December, 2018. 

Edited by kwokpot

When I read the OP's first post I wondered if he was referring to Le Grand Bistro when referencing something called the Grand Plaza Cafe.  Le Grand Bistro is a specialty (extra fee) restaurant with a "French-ish" feel at lunch which becomes the Le Petite Chef venue at night.

36 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I don't know where you're getting your information but there's no such place as Grand Plaza Cafe on any Celebrity Ship. The venue you're thinking of is Cafe Al Bacio and TBH there's not enough food there for an adequate lunch. Then you neglected to list the Spa Cafe for breakfast and lunch. Mast Grill isn't open for dinner as it closes at 6:00pm. Eden Cafe has been adjusting it's hours on various E--Class ships so you'll need to go on board to see what the hours are for your cruise since it may or may not be open during Port days. 

As others have said you have severely limiting yourself by not going to the buffet. Celebrity's E-Class buffets are the best among the mainstream lines.

Edit: The only time there was anything called the Grand Plaza Cafe was on the Edge's maiden voyage in December, 2018. It was located to the left of the Martini Bar. By the second maiden voyage, which we were on, it already had closed as a complete and utter failure of a food venue. So a cafe by that name literally existed for one week (not including review cruises) only on the Edge in December, 2018. 

I totally concur on the E-class buffet, def give it a chance.  I was a confirmed never buffet person, E-class and Celebrity in general changed my mind on that.  Recently on the Summit and the buffet there was very good for lunch.  Also, while limited in selections, the late night buffet is also quite good.  

4 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

When I read the OP's first post I wondered if he was referring to Le Grand Bistro when referencing something called the Grand Plaza Cafe.  Le Grand Bistro is a specialty (extra fee) restaurant with a "French-ish" feel at lunch which becomes the Le Petite Chef venue at night.

Le Grand Bistro, IMO, is excellent and is on par with Eden.

2 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Lunch:

While Eden Cafe is open for lunch certain days, the other Eden you mention is a specialty restaurant that only serves dinner.

2 hours ago, Liao said:

Leaving a book on the table or a jacket on a chair does not in any way make you a table hog.  You’re only gone for a few minutes, many do this and it is very acceptable.

I agree. I routinely take a book with me everywhere.  The book visibly lets others, including servers, know I’ll be returning.  

Just now, Sir William said:

I agree. I routinely take a book with me everywhere.  The book visibly lets others, including servers, know I’ll be returning.  

This exactly! As a solo, I either need to do this! Otherwise I'd have to impose on the people at a table next to me to hold it, and I hate to be a pest like that.

We were very happy with the buffet on the Apex last July and disappointed with the four main restaurants. So much so that for the first time on a cruise we had several dinners at the buffet. The specialty dining especially Eden was superb. 

2 hours ago, Liao said:

Le Grand Bistro, IMO, is excellent and is on par with Eden.

We also thought Le Grand Bistro was excellent.  We spent 40 nights on the Edge last fall and had approximately six lunches at LGB.  The lobster bisque was incredible (caged with puff pastry) and the coq au vin was one of the best I've ever enjoyed.  We had a Captain's Club specialty dining discount, but the cover charge is $30 per person (if my memory is correct).  

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Huh, I found it on X's description of the Edge.  Now looking at the same place, it is gone.  Odd.

All good points about the buffet.  I'll give it another go as we are in better times now.  As they were pulling out of Covid my first X cruise, it was the same old same old for breakfast everyday, grant you not that much you can do for breakfast, but the lunch entrees never changed.  We did not even think about dinner based on breakfast and lunch.  We shall see in two months.

We just got off a seven day cruise from Apex yesterday.  We ate at OceanView buffet for breakfast and lunch every day.  The food was very good to excellent every meal.  The only issues are table availability at peak times and consistently long times and slow service at the Scoops ice cream station.