No more embarkation day lunch in the MDR fleetwide!

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2024 at 6:28 AM, Haljo1935 said:

Very disappointing; we have always had lunch in MDR on Embarkation Day and is something we really look forward to. It's one of the few times DH will eat in MDR (he's a Lido person).

Yes, it's challenging to have good attendance when everyone is directed to the Lido and when so many boarding groups are assigned late times. We disregard the time on our boarding pass and biard early so we can make it to MDR. No reason to do that now 😕 

Everyone now has the same boarding time now at 12pm. There are no longer separate boarding times. Maybe HAL feels with everyone checking in early and consequently boarding early they could not handle the influx of pax wanting to eat in the MDR on embarkation day,  

Edited by Laminator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We've dined in MDR about 25 percent of the time on boarding day.  It's usually really empty.

The good news is I can't remember the last time we've experienced an overcrowded, chaotic Lido on boarding day.  People come onboard at different times, are busy looking around the ship, checking things out.  And there's always something special at the carving station.  With MDR closed, they might make the buffet even more special on boarding day.

For us, not the end of the world.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

We've dined in MDR about 25 percent of the time on boarding day.  It's usually really empty.

The good news is I can't remember the last time we've experienced an overcrowded, chaotic Lido on boarding day.  People come onboard at different times, are busy looking around the ship, checking things out.  And there's always something special at the carving station.  With MDR closed, they might make the buffet even more special on boarding day.

For us, not the end of the world.

What about the older people & those who are handicapped ? not so easy to navigate with walkers & scooters with a crowded lido 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Laminator said:

Everyone now has the same boarding time now at 12pm. There are no longer separate boarding times. Maybe HAL feels with everyone checking in early and consequently boarding early they could not handle the influx of pax wanting to eat in the MDR on embarkation day,  

This whole new direction is not good for the elderly that frequents this cruise line 

1 minute ago, mcrcruiser said:

What about the older people & those who are handicapped ? not so easy to navigate with walkers & scooters with a crowded lido 

I've seen people with many different kinds of infirmities manage the Lido, with the help of the kind crew members.

And that is my only comment.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I've seen people with many different kinds of infirmities manage the Lido, with the help of the kind crew members.

Because the crew directs people to the Lido is the problem at embarkation . for us the MDR is best .I just can't imagine navigating my electric scooter between all those people in the Lido  .while on the ship we eat in the MDR breakfast & dinner . Lunch at sea we have in the MDR .In port we go to dive In or the NY Pizza & Deli or Dutch Cafe . We need space & it is very unlikely for the Lido to have a lot of space on embarkation day especially with 12 noon boarding time for every one now .

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

It was always billed as a Mariners lunch, even though they never limited it to them. I think all lines try to direct people to the Lido, to avoid crowding in the MDR, which always has a partial staff, often with a 'I'd rather be shopping on shore" attitude. It's also been less worthwhile since they went to a single lunch menu--no reason to rush to get on the ship first just to get a burger and fries and tomato soup, and a sundae, and the same goes for sea day lunch. The good part is that I spent many years rushing to get in the waiting areas in San Diego and Vancouver, being forced to sit shoulder to shoulder in the latter, and incurred a lot of stress, and the joy when my boarding number was called in San Diego. I think I'd rather start off my cruise with Distant Lands, sushi, a healthy salad, and a few dessert selections than anything on the MDR lunch menu. I bring a plastic tray so I can eat by the pool or aft pool area, and avoid embarkation buffet zoo. On the new ships, it's a good time to visit the Dutch Cafe, and on any ship, doing the room service menu, if it's available on embarkation, or even to get a Dive-In burger, especially since so much of the MDR lunch menu is just burgers and sandwiches with fries anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I sent a letter to HAL_Ship_Services@hollandamerica.com and already received a reply. So at least we know they are reading them. The reply mentioned the reference to lunch in the MDR, so it wasn't completely canned.

I sent another note today to mariner_society@hollandamerica.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. 

I have been using a scooter in the Lido for years and haven't had a problem getting around, making U-turns, getting assistance, or a decent meal. 
But then, I try to be polite in making my needs known, and most passengers return the favor. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I sent a letter to HAL_Ship_Services@hollandamerica.com and already received a reply. So at least we know they are reading them. The reply mentioned the reference to lunch in the MDR, so it wasn't completely canned.

I sent mine to that first email you mentioned yesterday. No reply back at this point. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

This whole new direction is not good for the elderly that frequents this cruise line 

This cruise line, to stay in business, will need to attract younger, hip customers and familes to stay in business.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Because the crew directs people to the Lido is the problem at embarkation . for us the MDR is best .I just can't imagine navigating my electric scooter between all those people in the Lido  .while on the ship we eat in the MDR breakfast & dinner . Lunch at sea we have in the MDR .In port we go to dive In or the NY Pizza & Deli or Dutch Cafe . We need space & it is very unlikely for the Lido to have a lot of space on embarkation day especially with 12 noon boarding time for every one now .

I have been on the Pinnacle Class ships and the Dutch Cafe and NY Pizza was jam packed - if you can manoeuvre those you can manoeuvre the Lido IMO.  Since you usually sail on Pinnacle Class ships, you have both of the afore-mentioned places available to you.

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. 

I have been using a scooter in the Lido for years and haven't had a problem getting around, making U-turns, getting assistance, or a decent meal. 
But then, I try to be polite in making my needs known, and most passengers return the favor. 

I completely agree.  I don’t use a scooter but I was in a wheel chair on one cruise and believe me there is a whole new appreciation of everything in one.  I had no problem and kind assistance from crew.  It was just a matter of a smile and excuse me .  the hardest thing was wheeling that humongous wheel chair HAL has that is “one size fits all.  Last minute accident - no choice.  But the crew were fantastic and so helpful.  I have never tipped so much in my life as I did on that trip.  Absolutely unbelievable how kind they were and how they helped.  Outstanding 🙂 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hi All,

I did get a reply back today from Customer Service which I've pasted below from the email I sent them the other day.

We will just have to wait and see what happens.  If enough folks contact them maybe they will reverse their decision.

happytotravel

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Holland America Ship Services
Good Day,

Thank you very much for submitting your comments regarding the embarkation lunch on board our ships.  We truly value all feedback from our guests, as it helps us to maintain and continually improve the onboard experience.

Because we take your input very seriously, we have made all appropriate senior management aware for their information and benefit.

With Warm Regards,

Ship Services

450 Third Avenue West, Seattle, WA 98119

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

We ate in the MDR when it was the Mariner’s embarkation lunch.  And that fantastic peanut butter/chocolate pie.  (I forget the name of it, sorry). Now, you have to go to the Lido to get it.  

The MDR lunch menu is practically the same every day so it’s not quite the same anymore IMO.

If it’s a turnaround day, it’s easy to go to the Lido early (if you are hungry) or later when the crowds have dissipated.  

Don’t get me wrong I’m not a Lido fan. I will eat in the MDR when I can or the PG for lunch if it’s a sea day but the MDR menu for lunch has lost some of it’s appeal with the same ol’ same ol’ every day and the rush service.  (Appetiizer and main course served at the same time on the K) JMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is just part of HAL's long (or short) term plan to pushas many people to the lido or the extra charge restaurants for all meals. Shortly in my opnion they will liminate assigned dinner times entirely and thus be able to colse the upper dining rooms on many ships. The lidocost way less to operate than a fine dining room and from the comments on thisthread is would appear that most people would not miss a fine free dining expeience.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, happytotravel said:

Holland America Ship Services
Good Day,

Thank you very much for submitting your comments regarding the embarkation lunch on board our ships.  We truly value all feedback from our guests, as it helps us to maintain and continually improve the onboard experience.

Because we take your input very seriously, we have made all appropriate senior management aware for their information and benefit.

With Warm Regards,

Ship Services

450 Third Avenue West, Seattle, WA 98119

Well, those were the exact words in the reply to me. So I guess after the first or second email they've got this one ready. The more they get, the more they have to notice. Let us know if they finally respond to you, @mawvkysc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

I’ve also sent a letter to both, saying we always used to look forward to lunch served to us in the MDR on the first day. It was part of the thrill of being on a ship again. I said that although we have two cruises booked later this year, reading about the continual HAL cutbacks has made us realise that they will probably be our last HAL cruises. In fact, we’ve already booked a cruise on another line for next year. HAL seem to be eliminating nearly everything we used to enjoy – classical music, a show every night, hors d’oeuvres before dinner, the Royal Dutch tea, cabin turn down service, etc, etc, to say nothing of all the other reductions in service. Such a pity as we love HAL ships and like their itineraries but as they are clearly on a path of downgrading the cruise experience, we will go elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

3 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Maybe Holland will bring it back.

I’m registered blind and have never had a problem at the buffet. The crew have always been very helpful in a non-patronising way.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 3/13/2024 at 12:28 PM, daisy-mae said:

Could it be that there are other like-minded folks who have collectively contributed to the lower attendance?

Absolutely not! It was the highlight of every single person's trip. Besides you, obviously. 😉

I'm just kidding. Left to our own devices, we skipped the MDR lunch in favor of the wider range of choices elsewhere. I grabbed the water and seats while my wife got her food. (I pick the general area where I'll be sitting, so she knows where to find me.) When she gets back with her lunch, it's my turn to get my food.

This strategy requires more than one person, so it's not good for solo travelers. It also assumes that one person is willing to eat alone briefly.

My wife's dad, on the other hand, loves the MDR embarkation lunch. He likes to meet new people there. We prefer to dine with people we already know. (It's not that we don't like to meet new people. We just like to do it in the bars and lounges.)

Bottom line: You aren't alone. But... This is a thread for complaining, so we should just lay low. This is no place for your lack of outrage.

• Haha 11

8 hours ago, Ladybentley said:

… HAL seem to be eliminating nearly everything we used to enjoy – classical music, a show every night, hors d’oeuvres before dinner, the Royal Dutch tea, cabin turn down service, etc, etc, to say nothing of all the other reductions in service. Such a pity as we love HAL ships and like their itineraries but as they are clearly on a path of downgrading the cruise experience, we will go elsewhere.

I agree, the problem results when something is taken away. And then another something…and then something else, even small things. Those hot hors d’oeuvres with drinks were nice. 

Reading these posts I’ve been remembering when I worked in the cruise industry (late 1970s & 1980s) as a sales/marketing rep. Most cruise lines did not have thousands of people to board within a few hours - the ships were smaller. So for crowd control purposes, no one needed to get on early enough to have main dining room lunch on embarkation days (except back-to-back passengers in transit). And there was no such thing as Lido-type restaurants on many ships either. Buffets were set up on a daily basis on sea days, often outside by the pool and the MDR served three meals daily.

The line would selectively invite a handful of people for MDR lunch on embarkation day. Always local port officials and their families, always public health inspectors in Florida. Often the sales staff hosted small groups of travel agents invited for ship tours. The rest of the passengers boarded in early afternoon. They could snack on hors d’oeuvres ordered for their in-cabin bon voyage parties for their own local guest visitors.

So MDR lunch was historically kind of special and it was quite nice to have it as a Mariner perk in recent decades. We once met people who became shipboard pals and ended up planning another HAL cruise with them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I forgot to mention how on this, our first cruise to begin without lunch in the MDR that the lido didn’t open for lunch until noon. So there was quite a backlog of newly embarked passengers waiting to eat by the time it did open since boarding began at 11. It wasn’t a pleasant place to be. 

I have also noticed on this ship that the hours of the venues like the exploration cafe and NY deli start later than they used to. We got spoiled on Eurodam when we could get the “good” coffee in the crows nest at 6am. On this ship it is 7am. The dutch cafe opens at 6:30 but being the only venue it gets crowded, especially on early port days. We no longer buy coffee in the morning but rather just drink the free stuff on the lido deck so HAL has lost at least one customer for the specialty coffee. It will save us around $100 that we would have otherwise spent. NY deli doesn’t open for breakfast until 7:30 even though the lido opens at 6:30-7:00am. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2