Dress code

I have a cruise booked for next your - Japan/Singapore - and was wondering what the dress code is . 
I have done an Australia cruise and American cruises and both had a relaxed dress code for dinner each evening. 
I dont want to arrive and be over dressed . 
Many thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Debra Dincan said:

I have a cruise booked for next your - Japan/Singapore - and was wondering what the dress code is . 
I have done an Australia cruise and American cruises and both had a relaxed dress code for dinner each evening. 
Many thanks. 

I haven’t worn or even owned a tie in years. You will find a mixture of clothes on pretty much any cruise these days

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Debra Dincan. Welcome to cruise critic & your first post. There are so so many dress code topics/ threads. Just use the search feature top right of page( magnifying glass- symbol.)

go to Princess.com  to search dress code.

so many opinions on how to dress in the dining rooms in the evening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

We cruised Japan on Princess in October of '23. You list your name a Debra so I will make an assumption you are asking about women's wear. Most evenings just wear casual as if you were going to a local restaurant. The Mrs. always wears a long dress on Formal Nights with flat shoes and a shawl to dress it up, no accesory jewelry. Her whole idea is to pack things that don't take up much space. Most women did the same, that I observed.

If you are going with a male, Formal Nights, I'd say about half the men wore either at suit or sportcoat and tie, the other half wore a polo shirt or similar and slacks. Not one tuxedo.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1

In my experience more people comply with the requested dress code for formal nights on Asian and European itineraries than on Caribbean, Nirth American or Australian. 

You won’t feel uncomfortable if you choose to dress up

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Debra Dincan said:

Many thanks. 

While one can dress more casually at dinner these days one will never be "overdressed" if you dress up on a Formal Night. If you like to dress up feel free to do so.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Although Princess has become very informal lately I suspect the the cruises to the Orient might be a little more on the formal side due to the types of people sailing. I'm sure you'll still see many of people dressed casually on formal nights.

• Haha 1

We are going on a Caribbean cruise in May, and after reading the comments here I have come to the conclusion that I don't need a sport coat or suit and dress pants and dress shirt is sufficient for formal night. And my wife can wear a dress that doesn't need a gown.

Am I correct?

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
On 3/17/2024 at 10:37 AM, Debra Dincan said:

Many thanks. 

You will find people from wearing formal wear, Tux & Formal dress on Formal Nights, to people that don’t choose to dress up. The term Formal Night applies to all Princess Ships & cruises. You will never be overdressed. FYI…If Princess made dinning in the Main Dinning Room a must to be wearing formal wear, the dinning room, I feel would be fairly empty plus what terms would be used for formal wear?.  The term “Formal Night” has never been in-forced, & I’ve been on 37 cruises with Princess.

Tom😀 

Edited by trbarton
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, artvlay said:

We are going on a Caribbean cruise in May, and after reading the comments here I have come to the conclusion that I don't need a sport coat or suit and dress pants and dress shirt is sufficient for formal night. And my wife can wear a dress that doesn't need a gown.

Am I correct?

Yes, you are.  Especially in that sector.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, artvlay said:

Am I correct?

It doesn’t matter, from my experience, as to where you are cruising to, as you can wear whatever you want. I’ve seen people dressed up to the nines on a Caribbean cruise. 

After 37 cruises on Princess, I’ve never seen any dress code enforced on Formal Nights. 

Tom😀

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

You can dress up as much as you want or you can dress more casually if you wish: just dress to the level YOU want (within reason depending on the venue and the “guidelines”: sometimes enforced, sometimes not) and be comfortable and confident in that. 

On formal nights, for example, I typically go reasonably smartish: decent trousers, shoes rather than trainers, standard shirt (often short-sleeved), tie and sometimes a suit jacket if going to a main dining room or speciality restaurant etc - rather than a full tuxedo/bow tie affair as that is what I find is more comfortable for me. But often the jacket is not needed and simply gets draped over my chair and I sometimes end up taking off my tie later in the night (shhh!).

There are some passengers who love to moan when other folk’s attire is not what they would want to see being worn, but at the end of the day you are there to enjoy your holiday and not to gain approval of insignificant others.

Whatever you wear, I hope you have a fabulous time.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/17/2024 at 10:20 PM, Thrak said:

While one can dress more casually at dinner these days one will never be "overdressed" if you dress up on a Formal Night. If you like to dress up feel free to do so.

That may be the case for a cruise out of japan, but i wouldnt recommend it for a regular 7 night cruise out of the US.  Im pretty sure if you walk into the main dining room in a tux or formal dress on that type of cruise you will feel overdressed.  I havent seen a tux on a 7 day carrib cruise in years.  I did it a couple of times back in the 90s, but wouldnt even consider it today. 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

I've never felt overdressed in my formal attire and will continue to wear a tux' on formal wear suggested dress code nights regardless of where the cruise is.

I also couldn't "give a monkeys" on what others choose to wear. 

Me and the wife always dress smartly when going out for a meal in our locality too. 

And don't get me started on flight weight allowance restriction excuses!🙄

Edited by Esprit
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Esprit said:

I've never felt overdressed in my formal attire and will continue to wear a tux' on formal wear suggested dress code nights regardless of where the cruise is.

I also couldn't "give a monkeys" on what others choose to wear. 

Me and the wife always dress smartly when going out for a meal in our locality too. 

And don't get me started on flight weight allowance restriction excuses!🙄

Only from what I read here on Cruise Critic, but it seems as though people from the UK tend to dress up more than those from the US. Given the opportunity to go casual, we'll chose that over any other clothing even though we drive to most of our trips. 

Thankfully Princess no longer requires people to dress for dinner, at least on the ships we've sailed on. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 20165 said:

That may be the case for a cruise out of japan, but i wouldnt recommend it for a regular 7 night cruise out of the US.  Im pretty sure if you walk into the main dining room in a tux or formal dress on that type of cruise you will feel overdressed.  I havent seen a tux on a 7 day carrib cruise in years.  I did it a couple of times back in the 90s, but wouldnt even consider it today. 

The idea that a 7 day cruise is the "regular cruise" or the norm doesn't work for us. We don't generally book 7 night cruises unless they are part of a B2B or connected to another cruise on another ship right away. 7 days is too dang short.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 20165 said:

How do you know how this person will feel? 🙄

42 minutes ago, Thrak said:

The idea that a 7 day cruise is the "regular cruise" or the norm doesn't work for us. We don't generally book 7 night cruises unless they are part of a B2B or connected to another cruise on another ship right away. 7 days is too dang short.

Likewise. Most of ours are 14+

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, doghog said:

How do you know how this person will feel? 🙄

I have this gifted psychic ability that makes me all knowing...

• Haha 4

There really is no dress code anymore. We just got off the Regal today we saw men and women in shorts and baseball hats at dinner in the MDR and in the Crown Grill and Sabatini's on formal and casual nights.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, cruisepest said:

There really is no dress code anymore. We just got off the Regal today we saw men and women in shorts and baseball hats at dinner in the MDR and in the Crown Grill and Sabatini's on formal and casual nights.

Yep. Our last Mediterranean cruise; after wearing a suit to the first 5 formal nights.. I duly presented in the MDR in shorts and Polo-shirt for the 6th like so many others I had observed. I enjoyed the food as much as the first 5. I did feel a bit self-conscious.. but that was all in my head. Once I got over myself and realised that nobody cared what I was wearing.. I was fine lol 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1