Container Ship Struck Key Bridge in Baltimore, Bridge has Collapsed

37 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

But aren't Oasis's engines also diesel?

Yes, never said they weren't.  Just that one diesel engine can produce far more energy than the 6 engines on Oasis, that everyone thinks are massive.

• Like 1

Key Bridge clearance height was 185’. Hopefully, when they rebuild her, they’ll make her tall enough for larger ships to clear at high tide (Oasis Class is 240’ above the waterline). 

4 minutes ago, Calgon1 said:

Key Bridge clearance height was 185’. Hopefully, when they rebuild her, they’ll make her tall enough for larger ships to clear at high tide (Oasis Class is 240’ above the waterline). 

As noted previously, the Chesapeake Bay bridge, further down the bay towards the sea is the same height as the Key bridge, so raising the Key bridge won't do anything unless they want to replace the Bay bridge as well.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, vjmatty said:

I’m sorry for my reaction. It’s been 35 years but still stings. 

Thank you.  The last thing I would ever do would be to intentionally post something painful, especially for a vet or their family.

I don't post under a pseudonym.  It'd take you about 90 seconds with Google to learn that I have supported US Navy warfighter for literally my entire career.  In fact, early on, in the 1980s, my office was directly across the street from the main gun range in Dahlgren, Virginia, where they test-fired 16" gun barrels before shipping to the fleet.  Our desks would shake.  Our fiber-optic network connections would vibrate loose!  I've seen and heard them up close, which is really all I was thinking about when I proudly posted what I did.

It's a dangerous job.  But to their credit, they did move on, and according to Wikipedia, the Navy fired almost 1,200 16" shells during the Gulf War.

Just for kicks, I've attached a little motivational poster I created (from a stock US Navy photo) almost 8 years ago.  It hangs on the wall in my office to remind me and my co-workers why we are there.

V/R,

Theron

Warfighter.1.1920.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

More expensive perhaps, but I've been wondering if a tunnel might not be a better replacement. Construction could start as soon as the necessary engineering studies were completed, rather than waiting for debris clearance. No idea if it's even feasible.

12 minutes ago, broberts said:

More expensive perhaps, but I've been wondering if a tunnel might not be a better replacement. Construction could start as soon as the necessary engineering studies were completed, rather than waiting for debris clearance. No idea if it's even feasible.

They already have a tunnel.  I believe that the FSK bridge was built to accommodate the transport of materials that could not, safely, be transported via tunnel.  Not sure another tunnel would work....but I totally understand your thought process on this....

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TPKeller said:

And there are two of them!!  😮

There are 14 options being discussed for a new Bay bridge. Some replace the existing spans and some just adding another span. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

They already have a tunnel.  I believe that the FSK bridge was built to accommodate the transport of materials that could not, safely, be transported via tunnel.  Not sure another tunnel would work....but I totally understand your thought process on this....

Agreed. I thought earlier in the thread someone posted that dangerous goods can’t go in the tunnels, therefore they travelled on the bridge. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

There are two tunnels. The Harbor Tunnel  and the Fort McHenry Tunnel. Probably  two thirds of the traffic uses the tunnels. They could force the hazardous material to go around to the west but I expect they will build a new bridge. Using up to date designs they can build a new one in about two years. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Actually, they already have two tunnels (or six depending on how you want to count). There's the original Harbor Tunnel (I-895) and its approach roads (the Harbor Tunnel Thruway) which opened in 1957 - two two-lane tunnels. And then there's the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) which opened in 1985 - four two-lane tunnels. While they take different routes under the harbor and the Fort McHenry Tunnel runs closer to downtown, they are functionally parallel for through traffic.

Edited by lstone19
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, broberts said:

More expensive perhaps...

HAZMAT aside (probably the deal breaker for a tunnel) the Virginia DOT is in the middle of building four more lanes under Hampton Roads right now, doubling the capacity of that tunnel.

Price tag: $3.9 Billion!

https://hrbtexpansion.org/about/

Theron

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

My family has a big connection with the navy also so I understand the connection with the ships and took every opportunity that I could to get aboard with my dad. A friend of mine was a corpman on Iowa when she was still in service. I had the opportunity to spend a day aboard with him. It was an amazing day that I'll never forget. That one day, and the things I got to do aboard that ship will live with me forever. I was so sad the day the accident happened. I'm happy that she is a museum and didn't get scrapped. I just wish she was here in New England. I would gladly volunteer time to her care.

As a NY resident I agree! I’d visit frequently if she were near Boston so I could see her when I visit my sis 🙂

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TPKeller said:

Thank you.  The last thing I would ever do would be to intentionally post something painful, especially for a vet or their family.

I don't post under a pseudonym.  It'd take you about 90 seconds with Google to learn that I have supported US Navy warfighter for literally my entire career.  In fact, early on, in the 1980s, my office was directly across the street from the main gun range in Dahlgren, Virginia, where they test-fired 16" gun barrels before shipping to the fleet.  Our desks would shake.  Our fiber-optic network connections would vibrate loose!  I've seen and heard them up close, which is really all I was thinking about when I proudly posted what I did.

It's a dangerous job.  But to their credit, they did move on, and according to Wikipedia, the Navy fired almost 1,200 16" shells during the Gulf War.

Just for kicks, I've attached a little motivational poster I created (from a stock US Navy photo) almost 8 years ago.  It hangs on the wall in my office to remind me and my co-workers why we are there.

V/R,

Theron

Warfighter.1.1920.png

Thank you for your thoughtful post and for sharing your connection to the Navy. It didn’t cross my mind to google your name as I think that’s a bit invasive, bordering on stalkerish, so I appreciate your taking the time to fill me in about your personal history, experience and support.  Happy sailing to you 😊

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Using up to date designs they can build a new one in about two years. 

A bridge can be built in that amount of time. It happens in other countries all the time. But in America everything is made more difficult with regulations, red tape and labor disputes.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 2

Just now, smokeybandit said:

A bridge can be build in that amount of time. It happens in other countries all the time. But in America everything is made more difficult with regulations, red tape and labor disputes.

Not to mention the fact that the federal government is now involved

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

A bridge can be built in that amount of time. It happens in other countries all the time. But in America everything is made more difficult with regulations, red tape and labor disputes.

A surprise perhaps, but there are countries that manage to deal with regulations, red tape, and labor disputes while building expeditiously.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

In Maryland the big time delays come from people filing lawsuits. Either nimby’s or environmentalists.  The Purple Line is a great example. 

17 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

In Maryland the big time delays come from people filing lawsuits. Either nimby’s or environmentalists.  The Purple Line is a great example. 

Throw in the rules around the Chesapeake Bay watershed and you have 5+ years.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

That is a two stroke, medium speed, trunk piston engine, like nearly every cruise ship has, and that Dali has for generators.  The main engine is a "slow speed" "crosshead" 2 stroke engine as per this:

Sorry, didn't watch the video all the way through to see it covers crosshead engines.  Also, all the "roots blower" (or engine driven blower) does not apply, as all are turbocharged.  Note in the drawing above, that each yellow platform on the side is a full story high.

Edited by chengkp75

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

That is a two stroke, medium speed, trunk piston engine, like nearly every cruise ship has, and that Dali has for generators.  The main engine is a "slow speed" "crosshead" 2 stroke engine as per this:

Sorry, didn't watch the video all the way through to see it covers crosshead engines.  Also, all the "roots blower" (or engine driven blower) does not apply, as all are turbocharged.

Interesting.  Funny  that the  displacement comes from a narrow bore and long stroke.  I guess that reduces the weight of the piston itself and the rod over a wider bore and shorter stroke.

Thanks.