Dress code

Hi

we are taking our grandkids on The Mariner of the Sea next month.  I’m hoping that someone can tell me how strict the dress code is in the main dining for kids.  My grandsons are 9 & 12.  Will they be able to wear shorts & sneakers at dinner.  Or will we need to pack dress pants & shirts.  

12 minutes ago, curtsfan said:

Hi

we are taking our grandkids on The Mariner of the Sea next month.  I’m hoping that someone can tell me how strict the dress code is in the main dining for kids.  My grandsons are 9 & 12.  Will they be able to wear shorts & sneakers at dinner.  Or will we need to pack dress pants & shirts.  

You'll be fine as long as they're not in bathing suits. Nice shorts or pants and nice shirts should be ok.

26 minutes ago, curtsfan said:

Hi

they will be perfectly fine in shorts and sneakers.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, curtsfan said:

Hi

There are no “dress codes”. There is suggested dress. Here’s what Formal Night looked like on the Wonder of the Seas. 

Shorts are fine. 
IMG_9974.png.ebd182c72c8e6e8a8d66c65cf25b645f.png

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

There are no “dress codes”. There is suggested dress. Here’s what Formal Night looked like on the Wonder of the Seas. 

Shorts are fine. 

Sometimes a picture says a thousand words! 🤣 #HelenofTroy

• Like 1

8 hours ago, curtsfan said:

Hi

Why can't they dress in long pants and shirts?  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Why can't they dress in long pants and shirts?  

Nicely done - Was about to say this thread is a bit benign and perhaps we should move on to a tipping discussion, but you may have saved the day!

Edited by bucfan2
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Shorts are fine. 

Wow…. never seen an MDR line so quiet let alone on formal night. It’s very different on the European sailings we take.

Royal used to actually have a dress code that they would somewhat adhere to. I remember them not letting people back onto the ship without a shirt on...or asking women to put on a cover-up or shirt so not to be in a bikini top walking around the ship. Well those days are long gone....companies now seem to be afraid to say anything to anyone. I see women walking around in Windjammer in the morning in thong bottoms and see through cover-ups....bikini tops with nothing over them....anything goes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bajathree said:

Royal used to actually have a dress code that they would somewhat adhere to. I remember them not letting people back onto the ship without a shirt on...or asking women to put on a cover-up or shirt so not to be in a bikini top walking around the ship. Well those days are long gone....companies now seem to be afraid to say anything to anyone. I see women walking around in Windjammer in the morning in thong bottoms and see through cover-ups....bikini tops with nothing over them....anything goes.

We are UK based but cruise all over the world with Royal.

It’s our differences that make travel interesting. Florida departures seem very relaxed and we have sat in the MDR with people in pyjamas and swim wear. The North East of the US to us appears quite formal like Europe and my native UK very formal.

When Royal cruised from Dubai every night was very formal a bit like our Singapore cruise.

Personally I wouldn’t go to a restaurant in shorts, it’s a cultural thing, but I have no issue with people who do.

• Like 2

Yes, many passengers dress very casually every night at dinner, not just formal nights. It's a personal choice. 

On a 7 night cruise there are 2 "dressy" nights, so one pair of long pants and one collared shirt is good for that, if you want.

6 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

Nicely done - Was about to say this thread is a bit benign and perhaps we should move on to a tipping discussion, but you may have saved the day!

I can't believe it took so long!🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I didn't think the published dress code differentiated between kids and adults. Whether you can get away with deviating from it or not, that's a different question.

There is no “code” to deviate from 

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, curtsfan said:

Hi

At 9 and 12 I personally would look at this as an opportunity to experience dressing up -- something young boys don't do often.  I'd look at it as an opportunity for them to feel pride in looking nice /in making an effort.  

However, they won't be turned away from the dining room in shorts and sneakers.  They should opt for nicer shorts and maybe polos rather than athletic shorts and graphic tees.  You'll see a smattering of men /boys in shorts, but you won't see many wearing athleti-leisure.  

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

This same picture "makes the rounds" every time this topic comes up.  Maybe it's a formal night, maybe it isn't; regardless, this is not typical of the whole dining room on a formal night.  

In reality most ladies on formal nights wear a knee-length cocktail dress or sundress.  A few wear dressy pants and blouses.  Most men wear dress pants and a button-down shirt or polo.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

4 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

At 9 and 12 I personally would look at this as an opportunity to experience dressing up -- something young boys don't do often.  I'd look at it as an opportunity for them to feel pride in looking nice /in making an effort.  

However, they won't be turned away from the dining room in shorts and sneakers.  They should opt for nicer shorts and maybe polos rather than athletic shorts and graphic tees.  You'll see a smattering of men /boys in shorts, but you won't see many wearing athleti-leisure.  

This same picture "makes the rounds" every time this topic comes up.  Maybe it's a formal night, maybe it isn't; regardless, this is not typical of the whole dining room on a formal night.  

In reality most ladies on formal nights wear a knee-length cocktail dress or sundress.  A few wear dressy pants and blouses.  Most men wear dress pants and a button-down shirt or polo.  

Thanks for your input,  I agree about the boys dressing up.  The problem we are encountering is that we are in Disney for 3 days before the cruise & 2 after.  We were hoping to dress lightly.  But I also think a nice pair of shorts & polo would be fine.