Which cruise location had the clearest beach water you've seen?

We have experience Clear Aqua water at most Caribbean Islands..

Beaches that are away from the Cruise Ports maybe influenced by the harbor traffic and ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caribsun said:

The cruise lines private islands in the Bahamas. 

You need to expand your horizons….

Try Polynesia and Hawaii. Even the Seychelles would blow away anything you’ll find in the Atlantic O or Caribbean Sea.

• Like 3

The clearest sea water we have experienced was at various islands in the South Pacific.  Bora Bora was certainly among the best.  The water off Northeastern Australia and out at the Great Barrier Reef was quite amazing.  

Hank

• Like 3

Many of the South Pacific islands have great clear water, but the best I have seen was many years ago in Cabo San Lucas, where we could see the anchor sitting on the bottom in over 80' of water.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The clearest sea water we have experienced was at various islands in the South Pacific.  Bora Bora was certainly among the best.  The water off Northeastern Australia and out at the Great Barrier Reef was quite amazing.  

Hank

Aren’t you on Vista now? If so, how about a “live from…” report?

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You need to expand your horizons….

Try Polynesia and Hawaii. Even the Seychelles would blow away anything you’ll find in the Atlantic O or Caribbean Sea.

I've never thought of Hawaii as having particularly clear water.  Snorkeling there was fine, but not nearly as nice as other places - especially the South Pacific islands. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mnocket said:

I've never thought of Hawaii as having particularly clear water.  Snorkeling there was fine, but not nearly as nice as other places - especially the South Pacific islands. 

NaPali Coast on Kauai.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Aren’t you on Vista now? If so, how about a “live from…” report?

Already doing it on the O Board.  🙂

Hank

Just now, Flatbush Flyer said:

NaPali Coast on Kauai.

Funny you mentioned that.  I stayed there many (many, many, many) years ago for my honeymoon.  I remember there was this much touted snorkeling cove - you had to park on the road and take this hike down a rather steep hillside/cliff to get to the beach.  We were a ways out in the cove when all of a sudden I saw this moray eel sticking up from the rocks/coral with its mouth wide open and sharp teeth on display. Scared the daylight out of me.  

• Like 1

depending on the weather, I thought the clearest waters in were Roatan.  Didn't even need to put on the snorkel gear.  Just walked knee deep, looked down from above and you can see all the fish swimming around you.

• Like 5

A decade ago we did a power snorkel excursion off a beach in Grand Turk.  The water was crystal clear and we saw creatures ranging from sea horses to barracuda until all of a sudden it was pitch black.  We had 'gone over the edge' of the Grand Turk Wall with a 7,000 foot drop off.  That was a most impressive, not to mention irrationally scary (since, as my father an avid sailor always said, if it is over your head its' over your head), experience. 

The best snorkeling we've done was Two Step on the Big island (Hawaii) 20 years ago and Klein Bonaire about a decade ago.  Neither of those were especially deep but they were crystal clear and filled with fish and Two Step even had spinner dolphins.

Unfortunately our scheduled 2020 Polynesian cruise was a victim of Covid and we are both getting too old to snorkel very much now.

• Like 1

My vote is Half Moon Cay, HALs private island.  There are others in the Bahamas that are so clear, the water is almost invisible, but you’re not getting there on a cruise. 

Otherwise, Bonaire and Cozumel. 

• Like 1

Ovea in South Pacific.  You could see ship’s anchor on bottom of ocean floor.  Unfortunately it is no longer a port of call.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DarrenM said:

No idea but it definitely wont be any waterway round the UK.

Much to our shame.

Nothing to be shamed about.  The major reason northern sea waters are more opaque than tropical is the richness of small sea life in the water, rather than pollution.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Nothing to be shamed about.  The major reason northern sea waters are more opaque than tropical is the richness of small sea life in the water, rather than pollution.

Oh its definitely pollution around the UK now. Raw sewage infact.

Sorry to hear.  I have spent a couple of late Summer holidays with my sister’s family —- in Cornwall.   The sea water seemed pretty clear and good (although not quite warm enough for my liking —- I’m used to 70 - 72 F in summer in CT and Massachusetts, and warmer in Florida most of the year.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Sorry to hear.  I have spent a couple of late Summer holidays with my sister’s family —- in Cornwall.   The sea water seemed pretty clear and good (although not quite warm enough for my liking —- I’m used to 70 - 72 F in summer in CT and Massachusetts, and warmer in Florida most of the year.

It was similar in St Andrews.

The current issue in UK was in the River Thames, specifically for the annual Oxford & Cambridge boat race. Raw sewage had been dumped in the river to prevent backups and the ecoli numbers were high.

41 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

It was similar in St Andrews.

The current issue in UK was in the River Thames, specifically for the annual Oxford & Cambridge boat race. Raw sewage had been dumped in the river to prevent backups and the ecoli numbers were high.

Damn !!! You’d think proper sewage management would be one of the primary steps of a civilized government with claims of interest in public health.  I still recall how bad was the smell from the Bay of Naples when I was first there - and how it is now as briny and clean as the Bay of Maine.

• Like 1

If cruising by RV counts, then I would say Oregon's Crater Lake.  Sorry for the detour, but the water clarity depth there is incredibly remarkable.  

• Like 3