You certainly don’t have to agree…..

swomom

I am a long time Princess cruiser and it has been my choice and enjoyed every minute. I am, however, bothered by some of the subtle but persistent changes being made. Because I am “elite” I am told I get 50% off internet cost……but….with a caveat. I have to pay the full price and am then given the other 50% in onboard credit. Maybe I’m the only one who feels this is just not cool.  My gratuities are already covered by existing credit and I don’t drink alcohol ( my choice). Why don’t I get to choose how and where I spend my money? Their new marketing phrase is “save on the things you’re gonna do anyway”. Really, Princess? Gonna?

Gonna? Okay, I’m done. You might notice a recurring theme here.  “My Choice” …..Thanks for letting me vent. JN

IMG_2206.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Interesting. I wonder if this is a new policy? We bought our internet package via the app for our upcoming cruise just prior to the rate hike and just paid the half price rate. Maybe this just applies if you wait and purchase onboard? Would love to see if someone who has purchased recently has any first hand experience to share. 

If this is now the new policy it further demonstrates the slow erosion of this particular Elite benefit. 

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 1

If you wait and buy it on board you pay half price with no on-board credit issued…or you can use any on-board credit to pay for it  at half price (at least that was what happened to us last October)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, swomom said:

I am a long time Princess cruiser and it has been my choice and enjoyed every minute. I am, however, bothered by some of the subtle but persistent changes being made. Because I am “elite” I am told I get 50% off internet cost……but….with a caveat. I have to pay the full price and am then given the other 50% in onboard credit. Maybe I’m the only one who feels this is just not cool.  My gratuities are already covered by existing credit and I don’t drink alcohol ( my choice). Why don’t I get to choose how and where I spend my money? Their new marketing phrase is “save on the things you’re gonna do anyway”. Really, Princess? Gonna?

Gonna? Okay, I’m done. You might notice a recurring theme here.  “My Choice” …..Thanks for letting me vent. JN

IMG_2206.jpeg

What is the price for your current booking?

Ours say we pay the 50% off. 

Pre cruise, if your loyalty level is correct in the App, the App will reflect a wifi purchase price with the 50% Elite discount.  If not, you can try calling the 800 number and see if the person on the other end will adjust the price to reflect the discount.

If your loyalty is incorrect in the App and purchase the wifi pre cruise at full price, then, yes, you will have to get your discount as OBC.

You can wait until you're on the ship and connected to intranet, which for most corrects the loyalty level in the App and the App will also automatically reflect the discounted price.

• Like 3

I just love the way Princess assumes that everyone is gonna buy into their extras. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 555 said:

I just love the way Princess assumes that everyone is gonna buy into their extras. 

IT people are not very logical.  Good news is on things like internet two thoughts.

First,  If the price is the same after you board and it is available for purchase then why logically would anyone go through the hassle of buying pre cruise and getting OBC?

Second, on most cruises there are several ports with free wifi.  Do we really need internet 24/7?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, swomom said:

Why don’t I get to choose how and where I spend my money?

I'm not aware of any recent change that disallows this.  If you don't want any of the inclusions in the Packages, you don't buy a Package, and instead buy things a la carte.  Everything offered in the Packages is available for individual purchase except, I think, the ability to get reserved seating in the theater.  If you want pyrotechnic Special Desserts, you can buy them.  If you want to go to Sabatini's, you can go and pay the stated fee.  If you want internet, you can go to the Internet Lounge and sign up.  And if you do it on board, they do not charge you double what you should pay and then immediately credit your account with OBC.  They just charge you the Elite price.  The title of the thread says that we can disagree.  But I'm not so sure I am disagreeing with your premise as much as I am just not understanding it.  You wonder why you cannot just spend your money on the things you want, and you can.  You might pay more, but the math is up to you.   

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

IT people are not very logical.  Good news is on things like internet two thoughts.

First,  If the price is the same after you board and it is available for purchase then why logically would anyone go through the hassle of buying pre cruise and getting OBC?

Second, on most cruises there are several ports with free wifi.  Do we really need internet 24/7?

This "offering" is more likely from the marketing department and not IT. The IT department is not going to be deciding what/how items are sold. They will be doing what they are told. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, swomom said:

IMG_2206.jpeg

You will probably find that your logo on the app in your profile is blue not black.

The way the databases are set up if there was a glitch when you first logged into the app it may have created a different account number that is only used when you are off ship and accessing the app. I had rfe same problem then got Princess to fix it. When you are on ship a different database is used by the app and your correct status shows up.  Thus the inability to get the discount in advance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

I honestly don't need or even desire the internet when on a cruise ship. I can very easily do without reading the irritating news every day hours on end. I don't play online games, so that's out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 555 said:

I honestly don't need or even desire the internet when on a cruise ship. I can very easily do without reading the irritating news every day hours on end. I don't play online games, so that's out.

The internet is the most cost effective way for me to communicate with my children, grand-children, and my 94 year old Mother.  

• Like 11

Just now, HotRoot said:

The internet is the most cost effective way for me to communicate with my children, grand-children, and my 94 year old Mother.  

I don't have any of those, so no need.

• Like 1

If you are Platinum or Elite and the app doesn't show the 50% discount up front, then your app has your loyalty level wrong.  You need to contact the IT department to have them fix it.  It is not a requirement that you pay full price before boarding and wait for the discount in obc once on board.  It should look like this:  image.thumb.jpeg.19acb69803ae66c64c80e011da5fec04.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 555 said:

Not following the point.  If someone doesn't want wifi then the cost is obviously of no concern.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you don’t want the packages don’t buy them. Even if I didn’t use the WiFi I would still want the package for drinks.  You cannot make up your own package either take a package or pay ala carte your choice. Or better yet start your own cruise line 

Edited by memoak
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

If you don’t want the packages don’t buy them. Even if I didn’t use the WiFi I would still want the package for drinks.  You cannot make up your own package either take a package or pay ala carte your choice. Or better yet start your own cruise line 

I didn't think the OP's question was about wifi included in a package.  Well, except for the wifi package itself I guess.   The idea of getting the wifi pkg discount as OBC is not appealing to me either.  Fortunately, we have not experienced that and it sounds like it isn't happening. 

The concept of a customized package is interesting, though I suppose there would be all kinds of practical issues in implementing something like that.   

15 minutes ago, memoak said:

I’m not sure if I am on the wrong thread or not. I thought someone said they could get a plus package and the remove gratuity 

Oh, maybe they did and I missed it.  I do recall someone talking about not being able to remove the grat from the Plus pkg in another thread.  Could have been a comment here too.  

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, 555 said:

Actually they have data that tells them everyone won’t. They’re hoping YOU don’t know that. 

Edited by BamaVol

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ldubs said:

The concept of a customized package is interesting, though I suppose there would be all kinds of practical issues in implementing something like that.   

Princess is proud to announce the rollout of its new, customized packages:

1. **The "Get Connected" Package--Includes:
  • Crew Appreciation
  • Unlimited Wi-Fi for up to four devices
  • Unlimited use of Ocean Now remote ordering and room service.

**The "Get Fit" Package--Includes:

• Crew Appreciation
  • Two Spa Treatments
  • Two Fitness Classes Per Day

**The "Get Fat" Package--Includes:

• Crew Appreciation
  • Two Specialty Desserts Per Day
  • Two Specialty Dining Credits
  • Front of the Line Privileges at the Buffet

😁🤣😎

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Haha 9