Shopping for souvenirs in the Caribbean

We are Cruising to the Caribbean in March of 2025 for the first time. We have been on 2 Mexican Riviera Cruises so far, in 2020 & 2023. We do enjoy shopping for Local Souvenirs. From our first cruise to Mexico in 2020 to our following cruise in 2023 the Local Souvenirs seemed to All be "Made in China". We didn't end up buying hardly anything that trip.

Does any know if "Made in China" has taken over Local Caribbean as well ?

We do enjoy supporting and Collecting from Local Merchants with Local indigenous items.

31 minutes ago, MtnGolf4 said:

We are Cruising to the Caribbean in March of 2025 for the first time. We have been on 2 Mexican Riviera Cruises so far, in 2020 & 2023. We do enjoy shopping for Local Souvenirs. From our first cruise to Mexico in 2020 to our following cruise in 2023 the Local Souvenirs seemed to All be "Made in China". We didn't end up buying hardly anything that trip.

Does any know if "Made in China" has taken over Local Caribbean as well ?

We do enjoy supporting and Collecting from Local Merchants with Local indigenous items.

We will be sailing on the QM2 in 25 to the Caribbean to many of the Islands in the Carib Chain.

I have trust in them but will now look at items we take home and see if Made in tags are attached.

I do enjoy Made in America or local island vendors.

• Like 1

Of course the Made in China kitch is world wide.  If you want to know what local handmade items are for sale on any given Caribbean Island, go to their tourism website to research the possibilities.

• Like 5

When we were on a Norwegian coastal cruise all the souvenir type things were "made in China.' We've had better luck when traveling to check for little pieces of pottery beaded bracelets/necklaces. We have 'stuff' all over our house from travels that don't necessarily fall into the "souvenir" category but are great reminders of trips.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, MtnGolf4 said:

Should your itinerary include St Kitts, you could buy Caribelle Batik, hand made locally.  You can visit on site to watch some being crafted, and on the day of our visit there were highly coloured and patterned items hanging out to dry on lines in the very pretty gardens. It is not inexpensive, but genuinely  local and  handmade.

Their items can probably be found in retail outlets elsewhere in the Caribbean.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 5

I've noticed locals in some ports trying to sell conch shells.  I'm fairly certain they would be confiscated upon entering the ship, as would sand, sea glass, and shells picked up on the beach.

Then there are food and drink products, which I imagine would be okay if sealed (brown sugar in Barbados, coffee beans).  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Then there are food and drink products, which I imagine would be okay if sealed (brown sugar in Barbados, coffee beans).  

Not forgetting RUM!!😁

There are various restrictions with conch shells and it would be prudent to read what the restrictions are before buying any.

• Like 1

If you are going to Bonaire, the town market under the trees has locally made art, jewelry, and even fun t-shirts that benefit the local animal rescue. Also food and/or spa grade salts from the local salt pans. I always stock up on the delicious salt mixes for myself and a few foodie friends when I go.

It is one of the few places that I can think of that has not succumbed to the Made in China trash that you mentioned.

• Like 3

The ports are slowly pushing back. For example, Nassau just opened a huge port market with lots of space dedicated to Bahamian products. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, clo said:

When we were on a Norwegian coastal cruise all the souvenir type things were "made in China.' We've had better luck when traveling to check for little pieces of pottery beaded bracelets/necklaces. We have 'stuff' all over our house from travels that don't necessarily fall into the "souvenir" category but are great reminders of trips.

But that is what a souvenir is -- a reminder of the trip.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I've noticed locals in some ports trying to sell conch shells.  I'm fairly certain they would be confiscated upon entering the ship, as would sand, sea glass, and shells picked up on the beach.

Conch shells are not allowed, a couple of decades ago I was on a Costa cruise that had two Italian groups , one person from one group informed the captain of our shore excursion that some from the other group had a conch shell , they started arguing with each other and a Jamaican crew member was falling down laughing, I recognized a couple of the curse words,

• Like 1

I was curious, so 

souvenir (n.)

1775, "a remembrance or memory" (Walpole), from French souvenir (12c.), from Old French noun use of souvenir (v.) "to remember, come to mind," from Latin subvenire "come to mind," from sub "up from below" (see sub-) + venire "to come," from a suffixed form of PIE root *gwa- "to go, come." The meaning "token of remembrance, memento, that which reminds one of an event, person, place, etc." is recorded by 1782.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/7/2024 at 1:54 AM, edinburgher said:

Should your itinerary include St Kitts, you could buy Caribelle Batik, hand made locally.  You can visit on site to watch some being crafted, and on the day of our visit there were highly coloured and patterned items hanging out to dry on lines in the very pretty gardens. It is not inexpensive, but genuinely  local and  handmade.

Their items can probably be found in retail outlets elsewhere in the Caribbean.

& do try any garments on -- I bought a blouse/top & unfortunately it runs small --- wish I would have followed my advice....it's hanging in my closet & has never been worn.

• Like 1