Cruising on RCCL to visit a plantation

It has been years since I have enjoyed visiting a plantation. If you have been on one of RCCL ships to visit a plantation, what was the name of the ship, and what port was it at?

3 hours ago, highfields said:

You just asked this exact same question on the Carnival Boards????

Perhaps OP has cruised on both lines? I don't think it matters if someone posts the same question on two different boards.

1 hour ago, bavrail18 said:

And Celebrity

OK point taken. But I still wonder why it's necassary to point this out in the first place? It does nothing to help the OP and it sort of feels like the OP is being chastised for daring to ask a question across multiple boards. Not everyone has the time or the patience to read through multiple boards on CC.

• Like 2

They are posting to get attention...well known that asking about a plantation being a tourist attraction or destination is guaranteed to stir people up.   Nowadays (in the US anyway) the historical plantation is losing popularity due to a more modern gaze.  

1 hour ago, dramamommao said:

Nowadays (in the US anyway) the historical plantation is losing popularity due to a more modern gaze.  

What is that even supposed to mean?  Modern gaze?????

1 minute ago, crazyank said:

So What??

I think there is just curiosity about the fact the the OP has asked this same question on at least 6 different boards.  Perhaps they are just covering their bases to try and find and answer.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, crazyank said:

totally meaningless post

I was attempting to keep it politically correct.  Historical Plantations that one may visit or have an event at are being "canceled" via social media as more and more people find it distasteful to have a glossed over version of southern history that fails to address the suffering of a certain people from that time.    

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dramamommao said:

They are posting to get attention...well known that asking about a plantation being a tourist attraction or destination is guaranteed to stir people up.   Nowadays (in the US anyway) the historical plantation is losing popularity due to a more modern gaze.  

Really? News to me. As a matter of fact I went to a banana plantation on a excursion in Panama that was some name like train to the jungle. Was a banana plantation at the end., not a jungle. 

Port colon panama. 

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I think there is just curiosity about the fact the the OP has asked this same question on at least 6 different boards.  Perhaps they are just covering their bases to try and find and answer.  

Honestly it would take less time to do a google search on the topic than to post the exact same question on 6 or 7 boards here.  Seems a bit fishy to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The plantations I've visited in the Caribbean were different than the ones I visited in the US.  In the Caribbean (at least at the plantations I've been to) they are still either working farms, in which case you watch the process of growing and harvesting crops or they highlight the history of the plantation, which includes looking at the buildings where the slaves lived.  The highlight on the tours I visited in the Caribbean was not a beautiful colonial home like visiting a plantation in the American South, so I personally found the Caribbean plantation tours to be less concerning (you are still visiting a place where people suffered, died and probably are buried) but it felt less concerning in the sense that we weren't admiring the wealth of the people profiting from slavery.  When I visited the plantations in America (like Monticello) you are admiring the beauty of a  building built by the slaveowners.  Among some circles in the US, it has become controversial to hold events/weddings at historic plantations in the south.  It's possible there are Caribbean plantations that are primarily about the beauty of things built by the owners, but I wouldn't know since I travel with kids and plantations aren't our first choice of excursions so I've only been to a few which either highlighted how you grow and harvest crops or didn't leave behind beautiful historic buildings. 

38 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Honestly it would take less time to do a google search on the topic than to post the exact same question on 6 or 7 boards here.

That would also be true for about 90% of the questions on CC.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

JCOL576, thank you for your response. I was NOT expecting ALL of these people to be looking under these DIFFERENT cruise lines. As I mentioned, I am just looking for a "working" plantation, as I don't remember what kind it was 22 years ago, when we were pulled around on a tram to visit it. As I mentioned earlier, I'm NOT as  young as you all with your WORDS that you want me to use!

On 4/11/2024 at 7:55 PM, beshears said:

It has been years since I have enjoyed visiting a plantation. If you have been on one of RCCL ships to visit a plantation, what was the name of the ship, and what port was it at?

Song of Norway, we took an island tour of Barbados that included a stop at a plantation.