Has anyone flipped their floorpan themselves?

We have a balcony cabin on Freedom. All balcony cabins have the bed by the balcony. We would like it so much better if the sitting area were by the balcony. Is it possible to transpose the bed and the sofa positions? With a handsome extra tip to the cabin attendant, perhaps? Please don't flame me, I am merely asking. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I am not sure the bed would fit in the opposite spot. "Vanity/desk" is attached to the wall so not movable and many ships stagger cabins so part of the room is wider to fit the bed.  Have you looked at changing cabins?  We have had both and there are pros and cons to each.  Give it a try maybe you will like it better?? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would highly doubt it.  They are not all with the beds by the balcony. The staterooms are typically laid out in a alternating bed location by balcony or bathroom as you progress up or down the numbers and are also set according to dresser / desk location.  Not likely doable and (not flaming) I would not even ask. 

It would be easier to see if you can move your stateroom to one configured the way you prefer.  If you booked through a TA they can assist or if you booked directly contact RCCL and a rep should be able to help.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I would highly doubt it.  They are not all with the beds by the balcony. The staterooms are typically laid out in a alternating bed location by balcony or bathroom as you progress up or down the numbers and are also set according to dresser / desk location. 

While that is true for Oasis and Quantum class, does it apply to other classes?

I've always thought bed by the balcony was the superior configuration. Gives you more space by the bathroom and entry door, and you don't have to squeeze by the bed to get to the vanity/sitting area. Also, you can lay in bed and look out at the ocean - so nice!

• Like 14

9 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I just spot checked Freedom and every regular balcony cabin had the bed next to the balcony (even side by side rooms).

Even if that's the case I would doubt the arrangement could be flipped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleMissMagic said:

I've always thought bed by the balcony was the superior configuration. Gives you more space by the bathroom and entry door, and you don't have to squeeze by the bed to get to the vanity/sitting area. Also, you can lay in bed and look out at the ocean - so nice!

I agree! When I book I always try and make sure I book one with the bed by the balcony. It gives you much more space in the cabin to walk around, especially when getting ready for dinner! It's definitely our favorite layout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I just spot checked Freedom and every regular balcony cabin had the bed next to the balcony (even side by side rooms).

Yes, this is true. Currently on Freedom B3B and moved this morning from balcony cabin 6634, next door to 6636. Both cabins have the  bed by the balcony. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rolloman said:

Somewhat similar to what you are asking, on a recent Carnival cruise the Guest brought an air mattress and inflated it outside on their balcony. 

Why bring an air mattress when you can just take your mattresses from your room and put on your balcony. That's definitely the bed by the balcony floorplan LOL 🤪

image.png.4cb82bc1d4dc6ded7a795ad6e4aa8e67.png

(Seriously though the cruise lines will have to watch out for this because it is all over SM now and there are many comments with people saying they are going to do this on their next cruise)

• Haha 10

6 hours ago, LittleMissMagic said:

I agree!

4 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Why bring an air mattress when you can just take your mattresses from your room and put on your balcony. That's definitely the bed by the balcony floorplan LOL 🤪

(Seriously though the cruise lines will have to watch out for this because it is all over SM now and there are many comments with people saying they are going to do this on their next cruise)

"That's definitely the bed by the balcony floorplan"

Wrong!  It's the bed ON the balcony floorplan.  🙃

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, LittleMissMagic said:

I thought that too until I realized the bed was too far from the bathroom lol. Also, when the weather isn’t great it’s nice to have the couch by the balcony so you can still enjoy the view from inside throughout the day. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, LittleMissMagic said:

That's my preferred option.  When I first sailed on Oasis the bed was by the closet and it was quite tight as you mentioned.  On my most recent Anthem sail, I was in cabin # 12654 with the bed by the balcony.  I booked an Odyssey 11 niter while on board and asked for the same cabin # but was not available.   The agent suggested cabin # 12660 and I remarked that based on the Anthem configuration the bed would be by the closet.  She looked at her spreadsheet and confirmed that in essence the bed was by the balcony.  Royal must have added an additional cabin/modification to accomplish this.  I also googled the cabin # and sure enough it shows the bed by the balcony.

42 minutes ago, nelblu said:

That's my preferred option.  When I first sailed on Oasis the bed was by the closet and it was quite tight as you mentioned.  On my most recent Anthem sail, I was in cabin # 12654 with the bed by the balcony.  I booked an Odyssey 11 niter while on board and asked for the same cabin # but was not available.   The agent suggested cabin # 12660 and I remarked that based on the Anthem configuration the bed would be by the closet.  She looked at her spreadsheet and confirmed that in essence the bed was by the balcony.  Royal must have added an additional cabin/modification to accomplish this.  I also googled the cabin # and sure enough it shows the bed by the balcony.

While I prefer bed by the balcony out of 11 cruises on Anthem once we had sofa but balcony. It wasn’t tight. Anthem has pretty large rooms

I've done some creative rearranging. The bed frame and mattress fits nicely outside on Quantum class ships. The frames are lighter than you might think, though bulky of course. Not to be left unattended or in the rain, be respectful.

If you want separate beds on Radiance class, you can switch the location of the bed and the sofa, so that both beds are parallel to the cabin walls. One will be by the balcony door/window, and the other will be closer to the bathroom. This gives more sense of having your own space.

Do not move furniture without moving it back before you leave. Seriously, it would add a lot of work for your room steward. I've had only positive comments, they don't mind, but you have to put things back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

I wouldn't see people on a Caribbean Cruise doing that, Between the humidity and the heat you would roast out there. That would be so uncomfortable.

Edited by Jimbo

I think I heard it all. Remember when people we just happy to take a cruise instead of being  their entire house and rearranging their cabins 😆 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1