Solo cruising

It's been a few years since I cruised and I'm ready to hit the seas but nobody wants or can go with me, so I'm planning to go alone.  So for those who have done a solo cruise, has it been as part of a bigger group or truly solo?  And how did it go?  Thx!

I have been cruising solo since my husband passed away 2 1/2 years ago.  Everything has been great.  The only part I am still not good at is eating alone.  Not sure why that is.  I can usually find folks to chat with at the bars or trivia.

• Like 1

I absolutely love to cruise solo. Having cruised many times with someone else, I knew it would be a perfect solo vacation. Be by yourself or chat up and mingle with others ~ it’s your choice. And a cabin all to yourself. 

• Like 3

I have taken 4 cruises alone over the past few years, not part of any group--so truly alone.  

I wanted to cruise, but could not interest anyone to go with me.

I am not a very outgoing person, and I will say that those solo cruises were difficult for me.

What helped a bit was asking for early seating at a large table, so at least I got to eat dinner with the same people every night.

On one cruise on the Brilliance out of Tampa two years ago, I found myself seated with a number of other solo travelers:  The Maitre'D had made this arrangement on his own.  On the second and third night, other solos were found and brought to join our 10-top.  It was brilliant.  

One of us then said "I'll be here tomorrow for breakfast at 9AM.  Anyone interested?", and yes....

We were off and running.

So ask if there is a "solo" table on your sailing.

• Like 7

Love solo cruising - not as part of a group, just me. You get to do what you want, when you want and how you want. Want to get up and out early - go for it. Want to stay on your balcony all day and ignore everything else - yours for the taking. Feel like joining and meeting people - people on a cruise are very chatty, more so than solo traveling in general. 

I’ve met some great people by the pools, different excursions, and also had plenty of quiet time. People become very fascinated by solo travelers, makes for a good chat. 
I’ve had dinner in the MDR at a table for two with a good book. At times it was quiet and other times sit next to tables and we all start chatting. 

• Like 7

I've done several 4 and 5 night cruises solo and loved them. I'm about to embark on my longest yet, 9 nights onboard with 1 night pre-cruise and 2 night post-cruise hotel stays. Really looking forward to it.  As others have said you can set your own schedule and then change it at the last second if the mood strikes. While I enjoy eating in the main dining room when I'm part of a group, on my solo trips I'll usually just hit the windjammer so I can get in and out. It is what you make of it. Everyone else is on vacation and generally in a great mood so it's easy to strike up conversation if that's what you want, but also easy to find some peace and quiet and just take in your surroundings if that's what you want as well. 

• Like 6

I've only done a 5 nighter solo but it was enjoyable. It's nice to have real down time. Lunch in the MDR was a nice way to mix with a big table and everyone was chatty. I preferred to have dinner in the Windjammer though. I did a lot of reading which was nice. Cruising definitely attracts a lot of solo travelers so you won't be alone if you don't want to be. 

I will assume from your name you are a woman. Sorry to the decent guys out there, but pay attention to your spidey senses with men. Sometimes friendliness can be misinterpreted as an invitation. You can always make up a fictional husband who couldn't make the trip if you aren't interested in that sort of socializing.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LAKaye said:

I have taken 4 cruises alone over the past few years, not part of any group--so truly alone.  

I wanted to cruise, but could not interest anyone to go with me.

I am not a very outgoing person, and I will say that those solo cruises were difficult for me.

What helped a bit was asking for early seating at a large table, so at least I got to eat dinner with the same people every night.

On one cruise on the Brilliance out of Tampa two years ago, I found myself seated with a number of other solo travelers:  The Maitre'D had made this arrangement on his own.  On the second and third night, other solos were found and brought to join our 10-top.  It was brilliant.  

One of us then said "I'll be here tomorrow for breakfast at 9AM.  Anyone interested?", and yes....

We were off and running.

So ask if there is a "solo" table on your sailing.

Hey, LAkaye, will be sailin in a few weeks on the Brilliance an will ask the Maitre'D for a table with other singles. Was on the Crown last yr an at a different table every night, didn't like that, one night was the odd person, two couples for dinner.

I sail solo 90% of the time. I always say, I'm 'solo', but never alone. It's easy to meet people if you're so inclined - I've made many long-term friends onboard - but, as others have mentioned,  you can do what you want to do when you want to do it. Enjoy!!

My first solo cruise, I just couldn’t find anyone to go and I was pretty apprehensions about it But I had one of the best times of my life .

I found you had get out there and meet people and if there was a group they quickly took you in.

Royal usually has a single meet and a lunch ,one thing I found on Celebrity is they have a singles host ,which was good.

I've done two short solo cruises, found that an inside cabin was very cozy by myself; two occupants would be another story. And you get double points. It is nice to have the freedom when it's only yourself to think about. 

My first solo cruise was a great way to get away. I needed alone time and wanted to just take care of myself for a week.  I got massages and acupuncture, did crafts, read and read, walked around, gambled... The First night at mdr I was seated with 3 other solo people who were very nice. But it was an exhausting dinner lol. So I didn't do that again and had a perfect me-week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vollEngineer said:

My first solo cruise was a great way to get away. I needed alone time and wanted to just take care of myself for a week.  I got massages and acupuncture, did crafts, read and read, walked around, gambled... The First night at mdr I was seated with 3 other solo people who were very nice. But it was an exhausting dinner lol. So I didn't do that again and had a perfect me-week.

Exhausting how? Fascinating comment. Very needy people? Wanted too much info from you?

I love solo cruising. I had just gotten into it before I got married.  So now I cruise with my DH or I go alone. I can't imagine sharing my cabin with anyone besides my DH. 

I have done 5 solo cruises since 2022 and I have loved everyone of them.  The shortest one I booked is a 7 day sailing in June.  For me the longer they are the better I like them.  I really do enjoy my sea days so I do mostly TA with a sailing in between to see different parts of Europe.  You will enjoy your time on the ship.  Attend the solo meetings, they are a great way to meet others.  You can do what you want, when you want.  Spend time with other passengers, read, walk, watch the ocean go by.  Enjoy and come back and let us know how you enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have done 2 solo 7 night cruises and enjoyed both of them.  I will admit my first one I was sad my DH wasn't able to be there.  I met some nice people during happy hour my first night and ended up meeting up with them almost every night.

Diner in the MDR with a solo table first 2 nights was lonely but I got over that and enjoyed conversations with tables next to me.   

My next solo cruise I had booked as a solo was awesome.  I met another solo passenger and we got along great and did some excursions together and dined in MDR almost every night together.   

You can make the cruise whatever you want.  Have fun!!

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 3

I'm curious...as a solo cruiser, how do you handle eating in the Windjammer during a busy time (like breakfast)?  If you want to go back for more food, how do you prevent the crew from removing your dishes and thereby giving up your seat?

The few times I would go to the Windjammer for breakfast I would take a book and leave it on the table.  I mainly ate all my meals in the dining room and I would request a table with other diners that spoke English.   I like doing that as I eat at home by myself almost every night, so it is nice to speak with other people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a solo cruiser, I have always prefered to eat in the MDR and I have always been given a table to myself (a 2 seater) when I have requested it. This way, I can avoid the problems in the Windjammer where by getting up to get next course, I could lose my seat and table.  If the MDR is closed for lunch on shore days, my 1st choice away from Windjammer would be to try alternative venues like Park Cafe, Sorrentos or just go for sandwich rolls at Latitudes and Promenade Cafe etc.  I only hit Windjammer at quieter times like opening times or when the shows are on!!  RC are good for solo cruisers in that you can eat alone if you wish in the MDR.  Unlike MSC, who intends to put solo cruisers at a big table with others!  This is unsuitable for me as a deaf person.  The last MSC cruise I took (Europa) was the exception as I was transfered over to the Aurea cruisers restuarant where I had a table to myself and the next table to me, also had a solo cruiser and we ended up talking!!

Solo wise, I prefer to do my own thing but is happy to have a conservation with other cruisers if approached for a chat like in the Diamond Lounge.  You can make the cruise how you want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I'm curious...as a solo cruiser, how do you handle eating in the Windjammer during a busy time (like breakfast)?  If you want to go back for more food, how do you prevent the crew from removing your dishes and thereby giving up your seat?

Make friends with the crew! If you let them know you're alone and just stepping away, I've found they will refrain from clearing and otherwise "save" your spot.

• Thanks 2

On 4/14/2024 at 11:26 AM, molly361 said:

I have been cruising solo since my husband passed away 2 1/2 years ago.  Everything has been great.  The only part I am still not good at is eating alone.  Not sure why that is.  I can usually find folks to chat with at the bars or trivia.

I know pre-Covid you were able to be seated at a larger table with various other passengers. I'm not sure if that is still an option.  If it is, we met some really interesting people that when we did this.  I've read that some others made lifelong friends this way.  I am recently divorced and while I am cruising with my kids now, I fully expect to cruise solo later.  I am hoping this will still be, or will become, an option.