Aus the fourth-largest cruise market

31 minutes ago, colourbird said:

See you on the Diamond, I'll keep away till after breakfast though. We'll have to have a meet and greet.

Absolutely!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I know what you mean about the ones that state they have done??? Cruises. When asked we just say we have cruised a bit.

Similar. Done a few.

Avoid those that place their cards/medallions on the table when they identify status level or a suite - they are setting a trap, waiting for you ask why their card is a different colour.

I always tuck my medallion on the lanyard, and prior to the medallion my cruise card, down the front of my clothes, rather than having it swing around as I move, but I must admit I did notice some "black card" people seemed to flaunt their status. The medallion being smaller is not quite so in your face.

I hate the "what did you pay, we only paid X amount" queries. I always respond that we got a very good price and leave it at that 💰 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, arxcards said:

Similar. Done a few.

Avoid those that place their cards/medallions on the table when they identify status level or a suite - they are setting a trap, waiting for you ask why their card is a different colour.

Or better still see who else on the table trumps their card 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

I always tuck my medallion on the lanyard, and prior to the medallion my cruise card, down the front of my clothes, rather than having it swing around as I move, but I must admit I did notice some "black card" people seemed to flaunt their status. The medallion being smaller is not quite so in your face.

I hate the "what did you pay, we only paid X amount" queries. I always respond that we got a very good price and leave it at that 💰 

That conversation always leaves one party disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, arxcards said:

Similar. Done a few.

What, this thread is digressing into another Princess Medallion one too .

I also tuck my lanyard in as I don't want it flapping everywhere and now I order the ship crest one, no-one would know and I never take any notice of what others are wearing. Last year my medallion conked out at the 30 day mark and they couldn't get it going again and they gave me a pink card. Did I think 'thats terrible, will people think I'm Ruby and not show me the right amount of deference' no I thought at last I can access my cabin and get off the ship!

I've never had anyone ask how much I paid for a cruise, I mustn't 'chat' enough.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jean C said:

Yep, we're not into oneupmanship (or should that be onepersonship?🙄)

12 minutes ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

I've never had anyone ask how much I paid for a cruise, I mustn't 'chat' enough.

We've struck it a couple of times, once an elderly couple who booked an inside cabin at last minute prices and boasted about it. The other time was a couple who booked the cruise, again when bargain prices were offered to fill the ship, but had booked the cruise in segments and got an overall very cheap price. 

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

We've struck it a couple of times, once an elderly couple who booked an inside cabin at last minute prices and boasted about it. The other time was a couple who booked the cruise, again when bargain prices were offered to fill the ship, but had booked the cruise in segments and got an overall very cheap price. 

I like to make allowances for people just being truly excited they got a bargain or an upgrade to being first time in a particular level of cabin. I know I get excited about stuff like that (not that I need to tell people, but it can be understandable).

Then there's the ones at lunch/dinner on the first day who want to try to establish the pecking order in terms of seniority of cruise status. I just try not to engage with them.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jean C said:

We have also had it a couple of times, where it would seem that travel agents aren't on holidays when they are on holidays. Their agency is always the cheapest.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

It is on-topic to the surrounding discussion. 

Maybe you should become Host Chili.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Yaya_in_Oz said:

We've had a couple hint that we say how much we paid but I just said we had a good price. But there was one couple who insisted that they tell us all about their cheap cruise every time we saw them onboard which seemed to be often. We tried to avoid them but they always seemed to find us.🤣

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, arxcards said:

It is on-topic to the surrounding discussion. 

Maybe you should become Host Chili.

Maybe just change this whole forum to the ANZ Princess Medallion forum.

Everything else discussed ,is disruptive and off subject .

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

ANZ Princess Medallion forum except Melbourne. Fixed.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Hmmmm! Two mentions of "cards" versus one of "medallion" and you decide that it's a medallion discussion. 🙄

Oh! Should we have mentioned those weird little slug things that Virgin uses? Are they classed as "cards" or "medallions". They open doors but don't seem to do much else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

What, like your cougars, upside pineapples & clips of monkeys?

You Mr Chili are a hypocrite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, arxcards said:

We have also had it a couple of times, where it would seem that travel agents aren't on holidays when they are on holidays. Their agency is always the cheapest.

Busman's holiday or Networking?????????????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

If Australia is a lucrative cruise market, why aren’t there more ships based here year round?

A lot of Aussies cruise, but many of us go to warmer climates in the northern hemisphere during our off season.

40 minutes ago, colourbird said:

A lot of Aussies cruise, but many of us go to warmer climates in the northern hemisphere during our off season.

Because there are not many ships here all year round sailing to warmer climates (south Pacific, PNG, top end, etc, )

• Like 2