Booked business, got economy with Flights by Celebrity

Maclet

Long story short, my original flight in business class was cancelled very last minute while at the airport on departure day.  By the time a same day replacement flight could be arranged, only economy seats were available.  I have requested a partial refund from Flights by Celebrity and am waiting for a response.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and were you successful in getting some compensation?  TIA.

Did you contact the airline?  This happen to a friend traveling with us a few years ago and the airline refunded part of the airfare. 

• Like 1

Are there actually any real advantages to booking airfare through Celebrity?  I have never booked airfare through a third-party.  We have always booked directly with the airline.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jennmaybe said:

Are there actually any real advantages to booking airfare through Celebrity?  I have never booked airfare through a third-party.  We have always booked directly with the airline.

You don't have to pay for your flight until you make final payment.  This is convenient for a number of reasons.  I'm sure there are other advantages as well.

FBC will have to work with the airline to determine the appropriate comp. It’s ultimately up to the airline to determine what is due. FBC doesn’t have any influence in this situation. 

7 hours ago, Maclet said:

Long story short, my original flight in business class was cancelled very last minute while at the airport on departure day.  By the time a same day replacement flight could be arranged, only economy seats were available.  I have requested a partial refund from Flights by Celebrity and am waiting for a response.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and were you successful in getting some compensation?  TIA.

Flight from where to where?

what was the reason for the cancellation?

which airline?

more details would be helpful, but yes, you will probably need to contact the airline. Flights By celebrity only acted as a broker..

Thanks for all the replies.  I was originally booked on United, called back to the gate and cancelled due to technical issue, ended up on Air Canada.  It was a Canada to USA flight.  

FBC didn't say anything about contacting the airline(s).  Just asked for the details, any receipts and my cruise booking number.  I was very grateful to have made the cruise at all so for now will wait to see what they offer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jennmaybe said:

Sometimes they are less$$, but you give up control. If using them, do the research what flights are available, and tell them this is what you want.They tend to book same day flights as Embarkation Day,too many variables  with that. We do 1-2 days before Cruise. We always book our own.

• Like 1

From the reports I have read online I don't see myself ever booking with FBC. It would be hard if it was a long flight and they had great prices, but...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jennmaybe said:

In the UK there are advantages,  as it becomes a Package Holiday.  Packaged holidays offer more legal protection if there are problems with one or more element of the package.  i.e. If your flight is cancelled and you miss your cruise you don't lose your holiday.  Or, if the cruise is cancelled  you can cancel your flights. Conversely, if you book your flights on your own and the cruise line cancels the cruise, your flights are your problem to solve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike981 said:

From the reports I have read online I don't see myself ever booking with FBC. It would be hard if it was a long flight and they had great prices, but...

I understand what you’re saying. But remember people don’t tend to report when everything goes smoothly and according to plan and without incident. 

The 4-5 times I’ve used this service were without incident, so there was no “story” to report! 😉✈️👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maclet said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I was originally booked on United, called back to the gate and cancelled due to technical issue, ended up on Air Canada.  It was a Canada to USA flight.  

FBC didn't say anything about contacting the airline(s).  Just asked for the details, any receipts and my cruise booking number.  I was very grateful to have made the cruise at all so for now will wait to see what they offer.

The US Department of Transportation is cracking down on the airlines when it comes to flight cancellations and delays with regard to adequate consumer compensation. If you get an unsatisfactory answer, I’d be tempted to pursue/inquire either directly with USDOT or your local Congressperson. ✈️

Please update when you have new info, and good luck! 😉

• Haha 1

What was the flight time?  My husband will not fly anything  over 3 hrs unless in business class  and going overseas, only the full lay down business seat.  We were coming back from Japan to SFO via Vancouver.  We had business seats on ANA from NRT to YVR, but our 2nd flight from Vancouver to SFO on United with about 1 hr 45 min flight time had some issues and only seats left were in economy.  By then we just wanted to get home and figured I will take care of being refunded when we are settled in, but did not even have to do that as they credit us back within few days. 

Hopefully the airline will refund your difference quickly. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rinshin said:

What was the flight time?  My husband will not fly anything  over 3 hrs unless in business class  and going overseas, only the full lay down business seat.  We were coming back from Japan to SFO via Vancouver.  We had business seats on ANA from NRT to YVR, but our 2nd flight from Vancouver to SFO on United with about 1 hr 45 min flight time had some issues and only seats left were in economy.  By then we just wanted to get home and figured I will take care of being refunded when we are settled in, but did not even have to do that as they credit us back within few days. 

Hopefully the airline will refund your difference quickly. 

I agree with your husband!  Three hours or less I could have handled.  But I was six hours in a cramped economy seat and it took days afterwards for my back to recover.  

Thanks for the good wishes.

Some airlines like AA will automatically reimburse the difference in fare but I would follow up with the airline myself. Who knows if someone at FBC is actually following through. I would have my doubts. The second obstacle is the airline will want to reimburse whoever paid for the ticket which is Celebrity rather than yourself. 

• Like 1

Yes, the airline will refund to who paid for the ticket.  We had a business class flight cancelled and had to take a flight the next day in econ.  The difference was refunded to Celebrity.  It took about 3 months for the refund to be credited from Flights by Celebrity back to our credit card.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.  I heard from Flight by Celebrity yesterday that a refund is being processed for a portion of my business class fare.  The gave me the amount and when is should be sent to my credit card.   I am satisfied with their actions and would use them again without hesitation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2022 a Hawaii cruise on celebrity.  Booked flights through Celebrity.  Last day flying AA at 11 PM on a red eye to Phoenix, then onto our final destination.  We got to airport early.  Not more than a dozen of us.  A flight had just disembarked passengers.  The employees left and my phone started dinging.  it was a text saying our flight (the last one of the night) was cancelled.  It included a link to AA customer service.  I asked and received a comp room.  When I asked about our next flight I was told it would be a 11 pm flight and there was no flights out of Phoenix for Saturday and we would have to spend the night there.  No comp room.  So we hoofed it to our Hotel.  We got settled in and just when I pulled up Celebrity to contact them my flight were changed right in front of me to a AA flight leaving at 2 pm arriving in Dallas Fort Worth layover connect to our final destination and arriving at 7 PM Saturday!  Celebrity came through fo us big time.  AA not so much.

• Like 2

I asked our TA about using FBC for our up coming cruise. Our flights are Seattle to London and return. FBC could not book our flights because I wanted business class going and 1st class on the return to Seattle. I ended up booking the flights myself.

On 5/16/2024 at 7:27 AM, Maclet said:

So a couple of questions.  Why was your business class flight cancelled?  Was it equipment change in which there may be less seats on the new aircraft so someone had to get bumped, tag you are it?  Did the flight completely cancel in which there may not be any other business class seats to get you to the cruise in time?

Even if you booked directly with the airlines, both scenarios could happen.  Please keep us posted on the outcome.  Hope everything works out refund wise.