Turnaround time

Has anyone else recently experienced surprisingly improved turnaround time on Government processing passport  and Global Entry renewals?  We just got our renewed Global Entry cards less than 10 days after submitting application. Having been advised that use of our expiring cards would be extended by a year to allow for anticipated processing delays, we were happily surprised. 

• Like 2

For those who have not recently used Global Entry, the CBP folks have changed the entry procedures to make it nearly "painless."  They have now implemented facial ID (in many places) which get folks thought the entry process in less than a minute.  Just this week, we flew into JFK, stopped at the Global Entry kiosk, and within 15 seconds (after posing for a photo scan) were on our way through the CBP booth.  The CBP officer greeted us by name and simply waved us through without even a glance at our Passport.

This creates a somewhat humorous situation where those of us with Global Entry are at the baggage carousel long before the luggage.  One could make the case, that for those who have check luggage, Global Entry does not save any overall time.  What happens is rather then waiting in a queue to go through CBP procedures, one cools their heels at the luggage carousel.  By the time the luggage comes up, just about everyone on the flight has cleared their various CBP checks.  This week a gentleman (next to me waiting for luggage) laughed and said we had been "conned" to have paid for trading one queue (CBP) for another queue (luggage carrousel).  

Hank

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I renewed my passport a couple of months ago. I used the expedited service. I had my new passport and my old passport back within 2 weeks of sending them in. I was amazed! Now to figure out where to go to use the new one.  

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Has anyone else recently experienced surprisingly improved turnaround time on Government processing passport  and Global Entry renewals?  

Yes!  Two years ago (two years?) my husband and I both sent our passports out for renewal at the same time.  His came back in about a month, while mine was almost three months -- can't see any differences between us.  We're both natural-born Americans with no red flags.  

Our daughter just sent her passport away (her first adult passport), and it zipped back two weeks from the day she submitted it.  Two weeks! 

None of us paid for expedited service.  

21 hours ago, Hlitner said:

For those who have not recently used Global Entry, the CBP folks have changed the entry procedures to make it nearly "painless."  They have now implemented facial ID (in many places) which get folks thought the entry process in less than a minute.  Just this week, we flew into JFK, stopped at the Global Entry kiosk, and within 15 seconds (after posing for a photo scan) were on our way through the CBP booth.  The CBP officer greeted us by name and simply waved us through without even a glance at our Passport.

A similar system is in place for NEXUS users going into the U.S. at Pearson Airport in Toronto. It is awesome. Just look in the camera, show your card to the agent and welcome to the U.S.A.! 

Wanted to post this, wasn’t sure where - mailed our Passport renewals away May 2 (usps) and today May 18 we received our new Passports in the mail. Was surprised at turnaround timing. Now I can book a last minute cruise, yeah!

6 hours ago, cellfree said:

Wanted to post this, wasn’t sure where - mailed our Passport renewals away May 2 (usps) and today May 18 we received our new Passports in the mail. Was surprised at turnaround timing. Now I can book a last minute cruise, yeah!

I mailed mine in the 3rd and so far the only thing is that the cheque was cashed on the 7th.  I just hope it comes soon! I want to do a pre birthday trip next month! 

8 hours ago, westerdam said:

I mailed mine in the 3rd and so far the only thing is that the cheque was cashed on the 7th.  I just hope it comes soon! I want to do a pre birthday trip next month! 

Just looked at bank account and our checks came out on the 8th, hopefully yours is “in the mail.” I was in a similar situation, next booked cruise is September and needed to renew for that cruise (you know, the six month out requirement) but wanted to book a last minute in June, so we are good to go. 

15 hours ago, cellfree said:

Just looked at bank account and our checks came out on the 8th, hopefully yours is “in the mail.” I was in a similar situation, next booked cruise is September and needed to renew for that cruise (you know, the six month out requirement) but wanted to book a last minute in June, so we are good to go. 

I had 4 years left on mine but it was just about filled with stamps.  I needed to get a new one as I am planning a long trip to Europe in late August and will need the pages. I got smart this time and bought the larger booklet. Hope it comes this week though!

7 hours ago, westerdam said:

I had 4 years left on mine but it was just about filled with stamps.  I needed to get a new one as I am planning a long trip to Europe in late August and will need the pages. I got smart this time and bought the larger booklet. Hope it comes this week though!

Let us know when you get it, hope you can still get a birthday cruise/trip in. Wow four years left on your passport, I was feeling badly about losing six months. Summer plans sound wonderful. 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 10:01 AM, spirit rev said:

I renewed my passport a couple of months ago. I used the expedited service. I had my new passport and my old passport back within 2 weeks of sending them in. I was amazed! Now to figure out where to go to use the new one.  

Well, that's good news.  Last year it took almost 4 months for my sister's expedited passport--she would have had to cancel the cruise.  Unfortunately, it turned out she had to cancel anyway for health reasons, but nevertheless 4 months is horrible.

I applied for a renewal for a (long-expired) passport on May 7th and picked 'regular' processing and not expedited processing. I've signed up for email alerts for whenever the status changes and I did get one update on the 16th saying it's "in process", but nothing else since then. I'm going on an Alaskan cruise out of Seattle in late June which does have 1 short port stop in Canada, so hoping I'll have it by then, Anyone have any updates on how long 'regular' processing is taking from start to finish right now?

On Tuesday, April 30 I mailed in my current passport with a renewal application, sent Priority Mail from US post office. I paid for regular turn around time, and requested the larger passport.

Today, Monday, May 20, I received my new passport in the mail, one day short of 3 weeks.

Excellent service!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cellfree said:

Let us know when you get it, hope you can still get a birthday cruise/trip in. Wow four years left on your passport, I was feeling badly about losing six months. Summer plans sound wonderful. 

Well, nothing in today's post.  Hopefully this week! There are all these Memorial Day sales coming up or already have started.  But I can't book anything without the new passport number. I will be sure to let you know when it does arrive! 😁

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2024 at 9:19 AM, Hlitner said:

This creates a somewhat humorous situation where those of us with Global Entry are at the baggage carousel long before the luggage.  One could make the case, that for those who have check luggage, Global Entry does not save any overall time.  What happens is rather then waiting in a queue to go through CBP procedures, one cools their heels at the luggage carousel.  By the time the luggage comes up, just about everyone on the flight has cleared their various CBP checks.  This week a gentleman (next to me waiting for luggage) laughed and said we had been "conned" to have paid for trading one queue (CBP) for another queue (luggage carrousel).  

Hank

At least at the luggage carousel one has the opportunity to find a place to sit and wait. 🙂 

As to the OP our son recently applied for a passport for our last cruise (as did one of the families traveling with us) and they all received them in 30 days or less. As for renewals, we both need to renew ours later this year and we shall see. From what I've been reading I expect they will be processed quickly (which won't matter too much since we'll be sending them in with ample time).

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

At least at the luggage carousel one has the opportunity to find a place to sit and wait. 🙂 

As to the OP our son recently applied for a passport for our last cruise (as did one of the families traveling with us) and they all received them in 30 days or less. As for renewals, we both need to renew ours later this year and we shall see. From what I've been reading I expect they will be processed quickly (which won't matter too much since we'll be sending them in with ample time).

Are you aware that you can renew your passport as far ahead as you choose? One stress remover.

13 minutes ago, clo said:

Are you aware that you can renew your passport as far ahead as you choose? One stress remover.

Yes and I'm also aware that it's wasted time since the US doesn't apply unused time to the new passport. It's not a huge deal but renewing it too early sticks in my craw. There's no stress at all, just something that needs to be done.

23 hours ago, clo said:

23 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes and I'm also aware that it's wasted time since the US doesn't apply unused time to the new passport. It's not a huge deal but renewing it too early sticks in my craw. There's no stress at all, just something that needs to be done.

Normally we would wait.  This time were are renewing 14 months early because we have booked travel stacked up.  If we wait we could find ourselves in the dreaded 6-mos window.  We want to be able to pull the trigger on trips. 

We will have to remember to update the new passport number on GE and other places.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Normally we would wait.  This time were are renewing 14 months early because we have booked travel stacked up.  If we wait we could find ourselves in the dreaded 6-mos window.  We want to be able to pull the trigger on trips. 

We will have to remember to update the new passport number on GE and other places.  

While we all hate waste, that $10 or so penalty for renewing a passport a year early is a small price to pay for comfort (unless one only sails in minimum inside cabins, buys three-day old bread, and dented cans of vegetables vs. fresh or frozen).

Edited by navybankerteacher

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

While we all hate waste, that $10 or so penalty for renewing a passport a year early is a small price to pay for comfort (unless one only sails in minimum inside cabins, buys three-day old bread, and dented cans of vegetables vs. fresh or frozen).

I actually just got back from our local post office to get photos and drop the passport renewal packages off.  There were quite a few people getting passports.  I chatted with someone that drove over from a town 35 miles away.  They said their local post office had a two month wait for passport appointments.  We didn't even think about making an appt.    

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Or some don't experience discomfort by waiting to renew.

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

They said their local post office had a two month wait for passport appointments.  We didn't even think about making an appt.    

I got my photo done at Staples. No appointment needed. 😄

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Or some don't experience discomfort by waiting to renew.

If someone is planning serious travel which requires a passport he will not sweat possibly wasting a few $ worth of passport life to insure that he will be able to make the trip.

Edited by navybankerteacher