Crew tips individual breakdown

Hello all. For the first time in a long time, my gratuities are not being prepaid. So I would like to revert to the old method of placing money in envelopes, but I don’t know the current breakdown for crewmembers. For example, we are in a suite and don’t know the daily rate for the Butler or the waiter, etc. If anybody knows what the current individual dollar rates are, I would love to get your feedback. Thanks in advance. 

Are you aware that if you don't prepay the grats, they are automatically added to your onboard account every day? No need to worry about finding each and every crew member who is entitled to them, and tipping appropriately. Of course if you wish to tip someone over and above this, then give as much as you like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned, the tips are posted daily and will be charged against your OBC or credit card.  Envelopes are still available at guest services.  Remember to bring your unwanted Holiday gifts to pass out to deserving crew members. 😀

• Haha 4

37 minutes ago, celebrity cruiser said:

Hello all. For the first time in a long time, my gratuities are not being prepaid. So I would like to revert to the old method of placing money in envelopes, but I don’t know the current breakdown for crewmembers. For example, we are in a suite and don’t know the daily rate for the Butler or the waiter, etc. If anybody knows what the current individual dollar rates are, I would love to get your feedback. Thanks in advance. 

Are you asking of the daily rate breakdown from the cruise line or what others do per day?

3 minutes ago, celebrity cruiser said:

Thanks LY

Yes, I’m looking for the daily rate breakdown per crewmember if you’re in a suite on Celebrity cruises. The suggested gratuity policy per person

In the Retreat, it is $23/day/pp, which is allocated among quite a few crew members.

There no longer is a breakdown per person. There's a breakdown by major area (housekeeping, butler, dining services, etc.). That's actually not on the internet, believe it or not, but people get it from guest services onboard. Someone will probably post it shortly. I don't have it off the top of my head.

The way the system is structured today, you really can't do what you're asking. Everything is pooled, including cash tips. Presumably cash tips when the auto gratuities are left in place go to the individual who you tip. You can also direct an additional gratuity to an individual on a form (Retreat concierge has them). The exact formula beyond the major divisions is, like most reimbursement and personnel matters, not disclosed.

Yes I understand it is 23 pp/day

What I am looking for is on a 7 day cruise what do I give the waiter, asst waiter, butler stateroom attendant and so on for the duration of the cruise that would equal to the 46 per cabin/day

3 minutes ago, celebrity cruiser said:

Yes I understand it is 23 pp/day

What I am looking for is on a 7 day cruise what do I give the waiter, asst waiter, butler stateroom attendant and so on for the duration of the cruise that would equal to the 46 per cabin/day

see response #8

10 minutes ago, celebrity cruiser said:

until this time when we had pre paid tips we would always give extra to crewmembers.

Now we want to give the standard, plus what we give extra, that is why I needed the BASE gratuity for each,

Just leave the auto gratuities on and tip above if you wish.  That’s easiest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, celebrity cruiser said:

Now we want to give the standard, plus what we give extra, that is why I needed the BASE gratuity for each,

Again, there's no need for you to know this as it's done automatically. Whoever you feel deserves more, by all means, give them more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Hi, Mark. 

I haven't seen a breakdown published by Celebrity in a long time.  Here is something that was posted by @Jim_Iain back in 2020 (the rates have since been raised a few times):

IMG_0795.thumb.jpeg.f48dafff287ef1693b741cacade08689.jpeg

Here is the thread that went along with it: 

David

Edited by mahdnc

6 minutes ago, celebrity cruiser said:

Hi Rich

you have been cruising for a while. 
you probably remember when they would pass out envelopes and suggest tip numbers per crew 

if that is no longer available I will automatically tip as suggested 

I do remember. Those were days of only 1 dining room and only early or late seating with the same wait staff each night. That was the past. Now your gratuities are charged to your on board account and allocated automatically. There's nothing you need to do unless you feel someone deserves extra. It's much easier and convenient this way.

5 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I do remember. Those were days of only 1 dining room and only early or late seating with the same wait staff each night. That was the past. Now your gratuities are charged to your on board account and allocated automatically. There's nothing you need to do unless you feel someone deserves extra. It's much easier and convenient this way.

Those were the days when there was less utilization of credit cards.  As mentioned, people don't need to complicate things.  Let the cruise line post the tips and you  pay for them by means of a credit card on file  or OBC.  No need to bring cash along unless you want to add $$$.  You can also add supplemental tips by utilizing excess OBC.  

1 minute ago, celebrity cruiser said:

David. Hope all is well and thanks. That is what I was looking for. Randi interpolated the numbers for today’s rates. So we are good. 

thanks everybody for your help

Just curious how you will track down housekeeping?  Are you planning on asking for the same wait staff every night?  Really, it’s better for the staff if you don’t do a breakdown and just tip above to those you normally add extra.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hiccups said:

Just curious how you will track down housekeeping?  Are you planning on asking for the same wait staff every night?  Really, it’s better for the staff if you don’t do a breakdown and just tip above to those you normally add extra.

Plus if you want to do it individually, that requires a trip to Guest Services to have the auto-grats removed. And then monitoring your account to ensure they aren't charged accidentally. And potentially a few awkward conversations with either your stateroom attendant and/or their supervisor as to what they are or aren't doing that caused you to remove those gratuities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In past, 10 years ago+,  you would give an amount to the chief housekeeper. Now, I  always ask for the same wait staff each cruise. That works out well for us and them. Of course I can understand the alternative’s benefits 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you remove the daily gratuity from your account 2 things happen:

The cabin attendant will be asked why you removed the gratuties, same for waiter.

When you remove the daily gratuities then any money you give to the cabin attendant, waiter, butler, etc they are required to turn over to be put into the pool.

If the auto daily gratuities are left in place then they can keep any money given to them and do no have to put it into the pool.

Edited by jelayne
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, celebrity cruiser said:

In past, 10 years ago+,  you would give an amount to the chief housekeeper. Now, I  always ask for the same wait staff each cruise. That works out well for us and them. Of course I can understand the alternative’s benefits 

I'm with you, always go for the same wait team, don't have to have the same table, but to be seated in their section is all I ask.  They and me, have always been very pleased.  I hope you have a great cruise!