Crowded ports-Edge in Alaska

I just looked up how many ships will be in port(s) with us next week in Alaska. In Ketchikan there will be 7 ships in port on Sunday, In Juneau on Monday there will be 5, and 4 will be in Skagway on Tuesday.   Is this normally how many there are?  I’ve heard mention that 4 is a lot…. Will we even be able to do anything with that many people? 

28 minutes ago, Octavias said:

I just looked up how many ships will be in port(s) with us next week in Alaska. In Ketchikan there will be 7 ships in port on Sunday, In Juneau on Monday there will be 5, and 4 will be in Skagway on Tuesday.   Is this normally how many there are?  I’ve heard mention that 4 is a lot…. Will we even be able to do anything with that many people? 

where did you look up to find how many ships in port please

1 minute ago, Nettie11 said:

where did you look up to find how many ships in port please

I googled “Cruise line agencies of Alaska”.  As instructed in another post here. 

I just want to mention, that if someone is on the fence with an Alaskan cruise, strongly consider a Norway cruise instead.  Alaska was a one-and-done for us, perhaps when there's more to do in the ports we'll consider it again.  The Alaska Fjords were enjoyable, but the Norway Fjords were stunning in comparison plus you get 18 hours of daylight.  It was just magical to walk around the outside of the ship at 9 pm and it's still sunny out illuminating the Fjords.  In the Alaska ports, after you finish your tour there isn't a whole lot to do besides tourist shops, bars, and restaurants.  Much more to do in most Norway ports as they berth in major cities which are often several hundreds of years old.  Norway was occupied by Germany in WW2 so there's some interesting history in most ports

image.thumb.png.94319c56ddbf7a2999c310e8b014b7f5.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

Posted (edited)

Last June we had 5 ships (one was a small ship) in Skagway, 5 in Juneau and 3 in Ketchikan. In Skagway we did an excursion to the Yukon where it wasn't crowded. In Juneau we went to the Mendenhall Glacier early in the morning where it wasn't very crowded and stayed away from the city centre when we returned to Juneau as it was absolutely jam packed with cruisers. In Ketchikan we got off the ship early and visited Creek Street before the crowds and then did a hike. Maybe going out early will help with avoiding some of the crowds.

It seems that many places that cruise ships go to are getting busier and more crowded. I must agree with @NutsAboutGolf about Norway. I went to Norway in June 2019 when the sun didn't set for four days. It was one of my favourite cruises and I would love to go back again one day.

Edited by PurpleTraveller
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I just want to mention, that if someone is on the fence with an Alaskan cruise, strongly consider a Norway cruise instead.  Alaska was a one-and-done for us, perhaps when there's more to do in the ports we'll consider it again.  The Alaska Fjords were enjoyable, but the Norway Fjords were stunning in comparison plus you get 18 hours of daylight.  It was just magical to walk around the outside of the ship at 9 pm and it's still sunny out illuminating the Fjords.  In the Alaska ports, after you finish your tour there isn't a whole lot to do besides tourist shops, bars, and restaurants.  Much more to do in most Norway ports as they berth in major cities which are often several hundreds of years old.  Norway was occupied by Germany in WW2 so there's some interesting history in most ports

This is our next ocean cruise …

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Last June we had 5 ships (one was a small ship) in Skagway, 5 in Juneau and 3 in Ketchikan. In Skagway we did an excursion to the Yukon where it wasn't crowded. In Juneau we went to the Mendenhall Glacier early in the morning where it wasn't very crowded and stayed away from the city centre when we returned to Juneau as it was absolutely jam packed with cruisers. In Ketchikan we got off the ship early and visited Creek Street before the crowds and then did a hike. Maybe going out early will help with avoiding some of the crowds.

It seems that many places that cruise ships go to are getting busier and more crowded. I must agree with @NutsAboutGolf about Norway. I went to Norway in June 2019 when the sun didn't set for four days. It was one of my favourite cruises and I would love to go back again one day.

32 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

This is our next ocean cruise …

I didn't want to do a Norway cruise thinking it would be an Alaska 2.0 and was pushing for Japan but "Ms. Nuts" really wanted to go.  Glad we went because the scenery was amazing.  For those who enjoy terrible puns, Alaska and Norway were a night-and-day difference

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I didn't want to do a Norway cruise thinking it would be an Alaska 2.0 and was pushing for Japan but "Ms. Nuts" really wanted to go.  Glad we went because the scenery was amazing.  For those who enjoy terrible puns, Alaska and Norway were a night-and-day difference

Thank you for this! I've done Alaska twice when I was on a running cruise, and it was ok, but I don't get the OMG that so many others do. I've been off and on pondering Norway but afraid I'd be "Meh" again - and that's a lot of money to be "Meh". I'm glad to hear that a) I'm not the only one not totally bowled over by Alaska and b) Norway is different.

4 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Thank you for this! I've done Alaska twice when I was on a running cruise, and it was ok, but I don't get the OMG that so many others do. I've been off and on pondering Norway but afraid I'd be "Meh" again - and that's a lot of money to be "Meh". I'm glad to hear that a) I'm not the only one not totally bowled over by Alaska and b) Norway is different.

Norway cruises go out of England so there's an opportunity to visit some European countries pre/post cruise.  We pre-cruised for a couple of nights in Paris and post-cruised for a night in London.  Most Alaska sailings start and/or end in Seattle or Vancouver, both are fantastic cities yet Paris and London are on another level

• Like 2

OP Just curious since I am on the Edge the week after yours.  Do you show nightly shows in the theater in your app yet?  Mine shows the Welcome Aboard Speach from the captain on day 2 instead of day 1.

33 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

OP Just curious since I am on the Edge the week after yours.  Do you show nightly shows in the theater in your app yet?  Mine shows the Welcome Aboard Speach from the captain on day 2 instead of day 1.

Nope.  Only shows a show on night 2 and 6.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Thanks for the info... I've been to Alaska 4 times and I'm one who does love it but to be honest, I was very reluctant on my first trip, Hubby made me do it. 😁 

I fill my port time to the brim with amazing tours and always try to get the Glacier Express so that I get as much out of The Real Alaska as possible. 

Now he's making me go to Norway next May, I am hoping that I am as surprised with how much I love it as I was with Alaska, if not more. 

To be fair he does oblige me quite often with my desired destinations, Italy & France. 

Patty

Edited by cw2go
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Way too soon for that. Check 2-3 days prior to your sailing.

What it boils down to is that cruise lines keep building more and more and bigger and bigger ships and they are currently sailing full (especially, but not exclusively those like Alaska which have shorter seasons).  Almost every port you go to will be crowded wherever you sail.  In Alaska I advise booking any excursions early as the towns are small and only have so many available. I usually recommend independent tours, but those are even less available so check really early.  Don't plan on catching one in port like in the Caribbean (there are some but it is really hit or miss).   Also if you plan to rent a car (in Skagway for instance that is a great idea) book WAY early as those book up very quickly.

ps

I love sailing to Alaska, have done it many times, but I have to say my Norway cruise was absolutely amazing!!  I highly recommend it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

We are sailing on Princess to Norway as we don’t want to sail E class for a scenic cruise.  

In Vienna today …

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

We are sailing on Princess to Norway as we don’t want to sail E class for a scenic cruise.  

In Vienna today …

Makes sense, not wanting the E-Class on a scenic cruise.  You’re on a river cruise I assume, how do you like them compared to ocean cruises?  We did Norway on carnival last summer but X does go to Norway.  I injected my opinion as folks may already be turned off by the Alaska congestion and looking for an alternative.  On our Alaska cruise we did love the crab boat tour, perhaps a top 3 tour of all time (I think only kids and those who live fishing would live it), but found the helicopter and dog sled tour just so-so

13 hours ago, cw2go said:

Thanks for the info... I've been to Alaska 4 times and I'm one who does love it but to be honest, I was very reluctant on my first trip, Hubby made me do it. 😁 

I fill my port time to the brim with amazing tours and always try to get the Glacier Express so that I get as much out of The Real Alaska as possible. 

Now he's making me go to Norway next May, I am hoping that I am as surprised with how much I love it as I was with Alaska, if not more. 

To be fair he does oblige me quite often with my desired destinations, Italy & France. 

Patty

We try to do the same with trying to maximize the time in ports.  You just have a lot more options in most Norway ports

• Like 1

13 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

ps

I love sailing to Alaska, have done it many times, but I have to say my Norway cruise was absolutely amazing!!  I highly recommend it.

I just pitched this to DH and he is completely on board for a Norway cruise!  Thanks for the suggestion. We are looking at 2026 as 2025 will be Croatia and Italy. 

We were lucky enough to do our Alaskan cruise many years ago (2012) on the Millennium, and there was usually "only" us and one other ship in port per day the first week of June.  Ketchikan (an early port) actually had both Millennium and Infinity in port plus a Carnival ship.

My wife had already booked all our excursions ahead of time (mostly non-Celebrity ones) so at least we had no stress with that once it was done.  What we found was that many ports were small and nearly wholly dependent on the tourism, and only the bigger spots of Anchorage (post cruise) and Juneau really easily accommodated the surge in tourists. 

So, even back then with just two and maybe a third ship in port and slightly early in the season, things were a bit full.  A nice thing (and there were MANY nice things on that trip) was that many folks also didn't stray too far from the ship, so, in traditional cruising style we've seen in the Caribbean and in the Mediterranean, the farther you get from the dock (out of the perimeter of shops), the better.  

We learned a few things:

- plan early and get things squared away;

- accept the higher prices and do stuff despite feeling it's too much (we loved the sea plane flight over glaciers and the day with the sled dogs);

- going from south (Vancouver start for us) to north (finish in Seward) was the best way to do it as every day on the cruise, the beauty was upped a notch from the prior day;

- get moving early, and escape the gravitational pull of the ship(s) & dock area when you can;

- be prepared for snow covered hiking trails (we weren't) and ice cold winds when viewing glaciers on the outside decks.

We LOVED Alaska.  Crowds or no crowds. And we're off to Norway this July for the fjords. 

• Like 1