Cabins with Regular sliding balcony door on E class ship?

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Feels very much like a balcony on RCL Voyager class ships , they have a lot of steel around you 

Yep. Carnival too--steel ceiling, 4 walls...about the same but Eclass is still nicer!!

1 minute ago, C4HCG said:

Am sure it is all suites 

Also Sky Suites,the lowest level of Retreat/suites. sky suites aren't being mentioned here.

TYPES OF CABINS ON E-CLASS SHIPS WITH OUTDOOR VERANDAS 

So 1) Deluxe Porthole veranda ( a separate,outdoor area which can be accessed even in inclement weather via sliding doors which have curtains to shut out the light. The porthole verandas, sometimes called hull balconies on other cruiselines,are more enclosed than some other balcony cabins but they are totally separate areas from the main cabin and you can sit outside while it's raining. They are very narrow though).

2)Sunset veranda 

3) Sky Suites which are part of Retreat class

4) All other suite classes in Retreat Class

END OF STORY 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2024 at 5:47 AM, Jeremiah1212 said:

The decade old "it's a room with a window!! comments still come flying in. 

To answer the actual question, if you are not booking a suite your options are SV or the Porthole Veranda. Xcel will have four cabins with a traditional balcony that are neither SV or suites.

Do you have any link for4 this?  What percentage are real balconies on Xcel?

On 6/6/2024 at 5:38 AM, tljordan444 said:

The good news is that the new Celebrity Excel WILL HAVE some regular balconies that are not suites and not sunset. So book now I'm sure they will go fast!!!

How many real balconies?  Many have switched to other lines over this Celebrity snafu ...

We booked SV on Ascent for 10 days, seems expensive for Carib itinerary with no perks( we are not drinkers).  Still a long time away, maybe something else will come up. We will be trying MSC YC this December. If we like it, could be an option. It cost just a little more with all perks/ day.

Thank you all for your input. Love these boards.

11 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

How many real balconies?  Many have switched to other lines over this Celebrity snafu ...

Apparently four. As reported on this board’s may not be accurate.  

it’s what keep many of us on M and S class Celebrity ships

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2024 at 8:47 AM, Jeremiah1212 said:

The decade old "it's a room with a window!! comments still come flying in. 

To answer the actual question, if you are not booking a suite your options are SV or the Porthole Veranda. Xcel will have four cabins with a traditional balcony that are neither SV or suites.

I’m confused.  If an IV is not a room with a window, then what is it?

• Like 1

Some of yall will argue with a sign post…makes me laugh.you don’t like the rooms offered, book elsewhere, coming here and complaining about the layout of the current ships isn’t changing squat. I’d venture to say half of the complainers haven’t even stayed in an IV.

the bookings seem strong..I’ll say that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Some of yall will argue with a sign post…makes me laugh.you don’t like the rooms offered, book elsewhere, coming here and complaining about the layout of the current ships isn’t changing squat. I’d venture to say half of the complainers haven’t even stayed in an IV.

I don’t need to spend money on a window to know that it’s not what I want.  Have you ever booked a Disney cruise?  Because you can’t know if you like it before you’ve tried it.

Has this site been renamed to Cruise Agree With Every Dumb Decision or is it still called Cruise Critic?

Edited by zitsky

11 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

And the ships are sailing full.  

46 minutes ago, Liao said:

If you sell mostly window cabins on a ship it does not surprise me that people book cabins with windows.  Do the ships with balconies sell out as well?

To answer Isabella's original question, sadly there are not other stateroom categories with a "regular" veranda beyond the Sunset Verandas on the Edge Class ship.  Why they would put 4 regular verandas on Xcel is beyond me.  

I refer to the IVs as a cabin with a "bus window."  We stayed in one once and never again.  It isn't for us.  There are multiple things about I don't care for but if we are going on an Edge class ship, we book early so we can secure a Sunset Veranda.  

I still personally prefer the S-class ships where there are plenty of regular, old fashion verandas to choose from.  We have begun sailing other lines for more veranda options as well.  No complaints here.  We just prefer a traditional veranda.  OK...it does bother me that they call the IVs "verandas" when they really aren't but its their ship and they can call them whatever they like.  We choose not to book them.

Isabella, you do need to book very early if you want a Sunset Veranda and there those cost more now as well since there are a limited number of those.

1 hour ago, Host Anne said:

To answer Isabella's original question, sadly there are not other stateroom categories with a "regular" veranda beyond the Sunset Verandas on the Edge Class ship.  Why they would put 4 regular verandas on Xcel is beyond me.  

I refer to the IVs as a cabin with a "bus window."  We stayed in one once and never again.  It isn't for us.  There are multiple things about I don't care for but if we are going on an Edge class ship, we book early so we can secure a Sunset Veranda.  

I still personally prefer the S-class ships where there are plenty of regular, old fashion verandas to choose from.  We have begun sailing other lines for more veranda options as well.  No complaints here.  We just prefer a traditional veranda.  OK...it does bother me that they call the IVs "verandas" when they really aren't but its their ship and they can call them whatever they like.  We choose not to book them.

Isabella, you do need to book very early if you want a Sunset Veranda and there those cost more now as well since there are a limited number of those.

I was in a Sky Suite on Beyond.  It had a balcony.

1 hour ago, Host Anne said:

check this…. I think you have overlooked some categories.

2 hours ago, Host Anne said:

I refer to the IVs as a cabin with a "bus window." 
 OK...it does bother me that they call the IVs "verandas" when they really aren't but it’s their ship and they can call them whatever they like.  

Bus window ? That is new one to me 😁😉

I guess on river cruises the have French balconies , just a sliding door 

Emerald has the same IV balconies 

I agreed , it is their ship and they can call them what they want

, it will take great price to get us on an E class ship 😁

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

, it will take great price to get us on an E class ship 😁

When you compare like amenities on an E class ship to like amenities on S class or another line,  usually E class comes out as more expensive.

For E class it is an SV (real balcony)  compared to standard balconies on S class or standard balconies on other lines.

Edited by NMTraveller

On 6/12/2024 at 9:09 PM, zitsky said:

I’m confused.  If an IV is not a room with a window, then what is it?

It's like a car window at that. May be good for cooler climates but not for the Caribbean.

On 6/13/2024 at 2:52 PM, Liao said:

We won't know how popular/successful IV's are until X introduces it's next class of ship which it will eventually need to replace M class. 

To date no other major ocean going cruise ships have followed X's lead on IV's.

The only other company that has lots (in truth more) experience of IV's than X, Viking, does not have IV's on any of it's main ocean going fleet (it does on a smaller expedition ship).

14 hours ago, zitsky said:

I was in a Sky Suite on Beyond.  It had a balcony.

The OP was specially asking about non-suite cabins.  Many on this thread have pointed out that suites have regular balconies with sliding doors.  The OP noted that those were not in her budget.  Hence my response on "regular" cabins with sliding doors.  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1