"Official" chairhogging on Vista

I'm lying on a day bed on the Vista pool deck and a guest approaches a pool attendant and asks him "How early do I need to get here in the morning to get a sunbed?". The attendant tells him no need to worry about that, he can reserve chairs for him. The guest is surprised but delighted. The attendant asks where he'd like the chairs to be reserved and the guest picks out his preferred spot. Attendant takes guests name and says he's going off to make a note. Handshakes were exchanged but I'm not sure if money changed hands. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Eloise4Ever said:

I'm lying on a day bed on the Vista pool deck and a guest approaches a pool attendant and asks him "How early do I need to get here in the morning to get a sunbed?". The attendant tells him no need to worry about that, he can reserve chairs for him. The guest is surprised but delighted. The attendant asks where he'd like the chairs to be reserved and the guest picks out his preferred spot. Attendant takes guests name and says he's going off to make a note. Handshakes were exchanged but I'm not sure if money changed hands. 

You'll have to follow up on this tomorrow and see what happened and report back!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ssawjo said:

You'll have to follow up on this tomorrow and see what happened and report back!

Will see what we can do. It would be interesting to see what the pool guy puts out to "reserve" the beds! It's a sea day tomorrow so I imagine demand for beds will be high. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I can guarantee that the attendant's palm was greased during the handshake.

While I haven't done this on cruise ships I do it all the time at resorts if I want to be sure of getting chairs in the (shady) spot where I want them. A $20 bill makes the pool attendant your friend. 

I'm surprised that anyone is shocked that this goes on.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Looking forward to seeing what you write tomorrow.  Honestly it happens-but if they do that they better enforce the rule if gone for an amount of time they lost the spot.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Looking forward to seeing what you write tomorrow.  Honestly it happens-but if they do that they better enforce the rule if gone for an amount of time they lost the spot.

No enforcement sadly. From the highest level of NCLH the word has come down, apparently from the legal department, that guests' stuff on chairs cannot be touched by crew members. So, for now, the pool anti chair hogging "rules" are really just a request. Has to do with a guest legal action against NCLH for crew damaging valuables left too long on a pool lounger. Was told this by a hotel manager on my last O cruise earlier this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edgee said:

No enforcement sadly. From the highest level of NCLH the word has come down, apparently from the legal department, that guests' stuff on chairs cannot be touched by crew members. So, for now, the pool anti chair hogging "rules" are really just a request. Has to do with a guest legal action against NCLH for crew damaging valuables left too long on a pool lounger. Was told this by a hotel manager on my last O cruise earlier this year.

But no one says a guest can't move things!

I'd move the stuff,  take the seat and let the GM come show me the policy that says pool attendants can reserve chairs for guests.   And then I'd have them reserve the prime seats for me for the rest of the cruise.   😇

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

But no one says a guest can't move things!

I'd move the stuff,  take the seat and let the GM come show me the policy that says pool attendants can reserve chairs for guests.   And then I'd have them reserve the prime seats for me for the rest of the cruise.   😇

Everybody on a cruise should just that, reserve your spot and leave your stuff all day until you return to pick it up👍----then you'll see action.

6 hours ago, Kay S said:

This sounds fishy.  Is this new policy published anywhere?  Is pool person making a little extra on the side?

I wondered the same. I think I'd be asking more than a little up the ladder.

In March on Vista we saw several openly seeking out staff to cater to their needs, ask for pool chairs, towels, drinks, all openly were giving tips and it seemed expected. 

A place for chairs was made, new chairs brought, towels, drinks offered.

We had not seen that on O before. 

Seems, tipping over and above the automatic gratuities is now the norm.

It is not encouraged by O,  it is driven by individuals wanting to get special attention, over and above what others get. It is about being noticed and being more indulged than others.

Rather an ugly and crass display of self importance. JMHO

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

In March on Vista we saw several openly seeking out staff to cater to their needs, ask for pool chairs, towels, drinks, all openly were giving tips and it seemed expected. 

It is not encouraged by O,  it is driven by individuals wanting to get special attention, over and above what others get. It is about being noticed and being more indulged than others.

Could not agree with you more. Too bad that pool attendants supervisors aren’t in agreement. It’s hard to believe that if it is this obvious, that their managers don’t notice. 
Self importance seems an accurate term johnthomas. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Then it is up to staff to set the them straight. A simple “I’m sorry sir but this is against “O” policy. 
This type of wink wink nod behavior by both staff and guests will sour me on any “O” cruises should I witness it.

Mgmt needs to stop it immediately and that comes from staff. It takes two for this game to play out. If one doesn’t play there is no game.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jonthomas said:

It's mentioned quite often on this forum that folk have tipped their cabin attendant over and above the auto gratuities. No doubt, pool attendants will have heard about this from their cabin colleagues and, presumably, reckon they can get a slice of that action. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I asked my early-rising DH to check out the situation with the "reserved" loungers this morning. Unfortunately, due to a communication breakdown (whoever heard of such a thing between spouses :classic_laugh:), he checked the wrong side of the ship! We'll try again tomorrow to see what's there.

Some posters have expressed surprise that anybody would be taken aback by a crew member offering to reserve loungers. We've all been in places where we've tipped somebody for better service. But I was genuinely surprised to see it happen here as I assumed the ship had a strict "no reserving" policy. However, there has been no mention of such a policy in the daily Currents, nor has the CD mentioned it in her daily announcements. So I guess it's open season for chair hogs on Vista.

Suffice it to say, on this sea day with beautiful weather, all the loungers are either occupied or saved. Our friends managed to get two loungers when the ladies occupying them offered to let them borrow them for an hour while they were going to a Salsa class! 

Edited by Eloise4Ever
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Thought2go said:

Then it is up to staff to set the them straight. A simple “I’m sorry sir but this is against “O” policy. 
This type of wink wink nod behavior by both staff and guests will sour me on any “O” cruises should I witness it.

Mgmt needs to stop it immediately and that comes from staff. It takes two for this game to play out. If one doesn’t play there is nocase game.

Thing is, in this case it was the pool attendant who suggested it, not the guest! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I was SO scared and really it was effecting my attitude and mental health at home.  It had been at least a week, 7 long days, since I had seen a stream on the subject of "Chair Hogs".  Really I was getting worried and I know each and everyone out there is with me.  Then this morning, in a state of total and complete depression, finally the cloud parted, the lovely light of rays came to me from the sky's.  Here was the topic I was needed like a hot cup off illy (sorry Oceania Brand Coffee they dropped illy) coffee in the morning and a tasteless dry Oceania cookie.  Chair Hogs still exist, the topic will never die and the world is right again.

All brands can have all the rules they want.  However, we guest know rules are made to be broken and whether it is right or wrong, some guest are more then willing to break those rules.  Oh wait, this rule break was by a crew member, not the guest. That makes all the difference. NOT, Like little children throwing a tantrum because they did not get a bigger piece of cake.  Entitlement is obvious to those with the "Chair Hog" affliction. 

"I want a chair, if my old technique of getting up early and putting my beach bag on a chair won't work anymore, I have come up with a fail safe new idea. 

I got it, Bribery.  That will get the job done.  Bribe a crew member."  

The best part of cruise critic is learning NEW innovative skill sets to get everything I want. The hell with all those other losers.  Now I have the perfect plan to get my "day bed" by the pool in the perfect location when I am on the Vista next year in October.  I will start saving my extra milk money because the bribe amount might turn into a bidding process.  But if I start saving today, it should not be an issue. Pool day bed, here I come.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Edited by Sthrngary
  • Like 5
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, Harters said:

It's mentioned quite often on this forum that folk have tipped their cabin attendant over and above the auto gratuities. No doubt, pool attendants will have heard about this from their cabin colleagues and, presumably, reckon they can get a slice of that action. 

Exactly!!!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Harters said:

@Harters I just checked the Oceania Cruises FAQ section and this approach to gain a Day Bed at the pool on a sea day is not listed as a suggested approach.  Let the guest bidding work begin.  Let the poorest guest lose. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

Edited by Sthrngary
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Eloise4Ever said:

Thing is, in this case it was the pool attendant who suggested it, not the guest! 

Of course and why wouldn't he/she and all others working on the ship.

All are aware of the extras that stateroom attendants are getting, why shouldn't pool attendants, those that come in for maintenance issues, balcony washers, activity staff etc cash in as well. Of course a am being ridiculous but there is a lot of truth in it.

Why should O inforce the rules for pool attendants but it's OK for others to be tipped over and above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Of course and why wouldn't he/she and all others working on the ship.

All are aware of the extras that stateroom attendants are getting, why shouldn't pool attendants, those that come in for maintenance issues, balcony washers, activity staff etc cash in as well. Of course a am being ridiculous but there is a lot of truth in it.

Why should O inforce the rules for pool attendants but it's OK for others to be tipped over and above.

Because it creates issues like the one this thread is about.

When doing something for a tip causes an inconvenience for other guests,  it's wrong for them to accept.   When a stateroom attendant is extra friendly and efficient and earns a tip, there is no inconvenience or effect on any other guests. 

If you go to a bar and tip heavily in order to get free drinks is that good service?  I think most people (and the law) would say it's theft.  

This ridiculous attitude that everyone is entitled to a tip because someone else got one is absolutely ridiculous.   They have different job expectations and compensation.   Staff should not be allowed to accept tips for doing things that are against the rules.  Something is either allowed or against the rules.  The rule should not be fluid based on "I'll do it if you tip me".

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Harters said:

I am *not* commenting on the pool area "day beds"!

However, the "bribery", aka tipping, described is NOT the same as tipping cabin attendants, or not in any way that we have experienced.

A tip to a cabin attentant is, in our experience, offered AFTER good service has been provided.  Yes, that might include some "extras" ("more towels please" or "can you make up the cabin by [time]?" or such), but - importantly - it is NOT at the expense of others.  Last I understood, if we want extra towels each day, some other passengers are NOT being left without fresh towels that day!

What is so unfortunate about the "pool deck day beds" (or any other location) is that while the chairs are being saved, NO ONE is able to use them.  They remain in place, unused, while others would have enjoyed using them.

The comment above about some pax offering other pax the chance to "borrow" "their"(?) lounge chairs while they went to salsa...?  That had a double benefit; it probably wasn't entirely altruistic.  They knew (hoped!?) that when they returned, they *would* get those chairs back.  Had they just up and left...?  "Not so much...!"

Have there ever been sign up sheets for situations like this?  With an X-hour maximum?

That's probably blasphemous to suggest...?

The closest thing I can think of like this was at a squash club, where sometimes there were courts empty and available, but other times there were many waiting.

There was a time limit for any sign-up.  Plus, if the court remained empty something like 10 minutes past the "reserved time", it was up for grabs.

Fortunately, squash is sometimes referred to as "a gentlewoman's game" 😉 , so the "taking over of the abandoned court" did not result in a rough free for all.  [But that was years ago; times have indeed changed. 😞 ]

GC

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GeezerCouple said:

Have there ever been sign up sheets for situations like this?  With an X-hour maximum?

That's probably blasphemous to suggest...?

I suggested it several weeks ago on an earlier thread. It is what many tourist hotels in Spain did during Covid restrictions. And, yes, the response from some other contributors did suggest blasphemy on my part. I still havent read a better solution on here.