Inappropriate charges

Had to cancel an RCI cruise for November 2024.  Cruise was booked with the understanding that there was a $900 cancelation fee, essentially losing the deposit.  Understand and acceptable.  RCI then also took paid items, such as meal and beverage plans, without refunding.  Sad that a cruise line would do this...  Never cruise again with RCI!  Worst management of all cruise lines.  Horrible company.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pretty sure everything booked in the cruise planner is automatically cancelled and refunded when the cruise itself is cancelled.

• Like 16

Yeah the cruise planner purchases will be refunded, it just takes about a week. If you don’t see a refund post, give them a call. 

• Like 3

OP, if you are ever in this situation again, you should cancel the cruise planner purchases first, then cancel the cruise.

In any case, the cruise planner purchases will get refunded.

• Like 3

Sorry you had to cancel.  You might have saved yourself some money if you transferred your deposit to another cruise.  If I'm correct there is a $100/pp charge but the balance of your deposit will be applied to the new cruise.   I'm sure someone will correct me I'm wrong.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Sorry you had to cancel.  You might have saved yourself some money if you transferred your deposit to another cruise.  If I'm correct there is a $100/pp charge but the balance of your deposit will be applied to the new cruise.   I'm sure someone will correct me I'm wrong.

I was just going to post the same thing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Had to cancel an RCI cruise for November 2024.  Cruise was booked with the understanding that there was a $900 cancelation fee, essentially losing the deposit.  Understand and acceptable.  RCI then also took paid items, such as meal and beverage plans, without refunding.  Sad that a cruise line would do this...  Never cruise again with RCI!  Worst management of all cruise lines.  Horrible company.

Did someone at Royal tell you that you forfeited these purchased or are you assuming since the refunds have not hit your cc

5 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

As other have mentioned, anything purchased through the cruise planner will be refunded.  because you cancelled without cancelling the cruise planner items forst will result in a delayed refund and you may even have to call as they do sometimes get "hung up" and they need to manually initiate the refund.

4 hours ago, ngrund said:

OP, if you are ever in this situation again, you should cancel the cruise planner purchases first, then cancel the cruise.

In any case, the cruise planner purchases will get refunded.

I came here to say the same thing. The couple of times I cancelled a cruise, I went into the cruise planner and cancelled any purchase first.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Seven email notifications.  Refund: zero.  

Aint right

Definitely strange as they always refund these charges. Did you email Mbayley@rccl.com?  That usually gets a response. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Aint right

when did you cancel your cruise??

we had to cancel a cruise not long ago and in less than 10 business days everything in my cruise planner was refunded.…

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Aint right

Did you book the packages online through the vacation planner or some other way?

Aug 2023 I was told I was headed back for chemo days before final payment for Wonder sailing Dec 2023.

I got the refund for cruise but, like you, received emails saying no refund on the cruise planner items.

I messaged my TA and she said don’t worry about it, they correct in a day or two and you’ll have the money in a week.

I didn’t like this answer and called RCI directly to inquire about the emails.

I spent less than 20 minutes on the phone, most of it on hold, while the agent chased down an accounts manager and told me the issue was resolved and they were able to get the changes in before the cancelation officially posted.  She said this saved me the couple of weeks resolving it afterwards would have taken.

The money was returned about 5 days later and I found a new TA.

Call RCI and talk to someone.

I recently called to cancel a cruise and moved my deposit to another cruise. I had not made any cruise planner purchases but the agent asked if we had because those would be refundable. I suggest calling back.

• Like 1

I see the charges, however, did u speak to a live person and what was the reason given as usually any item in the cruise planner is refundable.  

Not to be nosy, are u outside the US and if so could it be a local law that prevents u from getting the refunds. 

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Below are two of the seven emails from RCI detailing "no Refund" for the canceled October cruise:

Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 8.32.35 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 8.32.05 AM.png

When did you cancel?  As most everyone else here has said, they will likely be refunded with a week to 10 days.

18 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

When did you cancel?  As most everyone else here has said, they will likely be refunded with a week to 10 days.

From the Ops perspective is that the notification indicates no refund. 
It should have had some sort of acknowledgment/explanation on the reply. 

1 minute ago, nelblu said:

From the Ops perspective is that the notification indicates no refund. 
It should have had some sort of acknowledgment/explanation on the reply. 

The acknowledgement the OP received is standard when you cancel the cruise before cancelling the items in the cruise planner.  Many times in this situation it takes a call to get the refunds pushed through

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1