LIVE - Legendary Alaska - 28 days with The Inside Cabin - Westerdam

LEGENDARY ALASKA – 28 DAYS IN THE LAST FRONTIER – NORTH TO THE FUTURE!

JUNE 9, 2024
Click "Show More Posts" to show all the links to the other posts for the 2024 Legendary Alaska
Feature 1 of 1

We board the ms Westerdam in Seattle, heading for Alaska and the Arctic Circle.

NORTH TO THE FUTURE!

Our first cruise to Alaska was also our first cruise: seven days on the Dawn Princess from Seward to Vancouver in 1998. Remember when seven days seemed like a long cruise? Seventeen years later, in 2015, we cruised for seven days from Seward to Vancouver on the Oosterdam.

We look forward to boarding the Westerdam in Seattle tomorrow for the 28-day Legendary Alaska cruise. This will be our first cruise from Seattle. The last time I left Seattle on a ship was in 1991 on the USS Midway, heading to San Diego. I definitely had an inside cabin on that “cruise.”

You can find a detailed itinerary and cruise map HERE and HERE

Alaska-Cruise-Map.jpg

LEGENDARY VOYAGE

This is our first Legendary Voyage. Legendary Voyages last 25-59 days and are generally round trip from a USA port. They offer more activities and enrichment events than a standard cruise.

Here is the flyer we received for the Legendary Alaska. This is the standard Legendary Voyage flyer, not specific to our cruise.

lengdary_.jpg

SAN DIEGO TO SEATTLE

Flying to Seattle from San Diego takes 3 hours. When we head to Fort Lauderdale, we usually end up on the redeye and a case of jet lag, so a flight with an early afternoon departure in the same time zone was a treat. Our cruise leaves Sunday, and we arrived Friday evening, giving us a full day to settle and with some buffer for contingencies.

mt-rainier-from-airport.jpg Mt Rainier from the SEATAC taxiway packing-light.jpg Packing light – natch. Six checked bags with two carryons. Down from the 13 we took on the World Cruise

PRE CRUISE HOTEL

We stayed at the Doubletree Suites Southcenter, near the airport. There is also a Doubletree by Hilton that is closer to the airport. While waiting for the hotel shuttle, ensure you don’t get on the wrong Doubletree bus.

Our shuttle bus was dispatched on demand – so be sure to call and don’t assume the bus will appear automatically.

doubletree-shuttle-bus.jpg This is the Doubletree Southcenter shuttle – there was a small sign in the window with the hotel’s name.

This hotel is in a good location if you don’t plan to sightsee in the city before the cruise as it’s twelve miles to downtown. The large Westfield Mall Southcenter is across the street, with dozens of restaurants and shops. McDonald’s, Starbucks and Target are nearby. There is also an Amazon Locker around the corner at The Dollar Tree if you forget anything that you want to get before the cruise.

The hotel offers a buffer breakfast, which was OK and included in our room rate. Room service and fast Wi-Fi are also available.

doubletree-cookies.jpg The Doubletree is known for Chocolate Chip cookies – they will give you warmed cookies when you check-in.

WESTFIELD MALL

This afternoon we explored the Westfield Mall. We rarely go to malls anymore so exploring the latest retail shops was interesting. Duke’s Seafood was very nice for dinner, and I highly recommend it.

We checked out the movie theater and realized that we couldn’t name a single movie playing. Years ago, we would have known them all.

AMC-Movie.jpg

Here is the current movie list – how many could you name?

• Bad Boys: Ride or Die
    The Watchers
    The Garfield Movie
    IF
    Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
    Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga
    The Strangers: Chapter 1
    The Fall Guy
    Haikyuu!! The Dumpster Battle
    In a Violent Nature
    Ezra
    Challengers
    The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    The Secret World of Arrietty
    Young Woman and the Sea
    Babes
    I Saw the TV Glow
    Manamey
    Hovering Blade
mt-rainier-viewpoint.jpg Outside the food court was the MOUNT RAINIER VIEWPOINT – Check it out! Mt-Rainer-Viewpoint.jpg The view was a little better if you went way off to the left jolibees.jpg There were 50 people in line for Jollibee – you will remember seeing these on your travels to the Philippines. Known for its burgers, fried chicken, spaghetti & Filipino dishes.

TOMORROWS FORECAST

We reserved a pickup using the Seattle Express, and they will pick us up at 10:30 am tomorrow, June 9th, and take us to Pier 91.  Check-in is advertised as starting at Noon, with our departure scheduled for 3 pm. Per the regulations, everyone has to be on board 90 minutes before departure or 1:30 pm. That means they will process and board 1900 guests in 90 minutes – Good Luck! I think a 3 pm departure is pretty optimistic – we’ll see. I’ll take the OVER on this one, as they say in Vegas.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for taking us along again! I am looking forward to following along on this amazing journey. 
  Be safe and enjoy! 

• Thanks 1

BON Voyage!!! This should be a great cruise.

In 2019, we took the Maasdam from San Francisco to Alaska. It was a 21 day cruise and we stopped at many of the ports you will be visiting. It was our favorite Alaskan cruise out of 6.

Enjoy we will be following along. 
Denise and Howie, too

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.  We booked two upcoming cruises without knowing they are "Legendary".  June 2025 Arctic Circle RT out of Rotterdam and 2026 Hawaii/Tahiti RT out of San Diego.

Not at all interested in the dress up/party events, but the other enhancements sound awesome.

The longest cruise we have taken was 17 days...so a 28 and 35 cruise is an exciting next step for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Phenomenal post, Pete.

Paring down the luggage must have been fun?  This could be the start of a trend! 

Have a wonderful time and thanks for taking the time to post for this cruise!

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SDARCH said:

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences.  We booked two upcoming cruises without knowing they are "Legendary".  June 2025 Arctic Circle RT out of Rotterdam and 2026 Hawaii/Tahiti RT out of San Diego.

Not at all interested in the dress up/party events, but the other enhancements sound awesome.

The longest cruise we have taken was 17 days...so a 28 and 35 cruise is an exciting next step for us.

Your first 4 week cruise seems crazy long.      After a world we now think - only 28 days!

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Phenomenal post, Pete.

Paring down the luggage must have been fun?  This could be the start of a trend! 

Have a wonderful time and thanks for taking the time to post for this cruise!

50pct drop cruise to cruise!!!!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

On our way to Pier 91.  Seattle express arrived in a bus branded Beeline Tours.   Bus arrived hotel 10:39.   We left at 10:54.    Scheduled departure time was 10:45. 

IMG_4329.jpeg

IMG_4332.jpeg

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 7

Looking forward to following along, I will be checking your menus daily in the Navigator App to see how different they will be from what has been the normal 7 day cruise. So far tonight's evening meal looks the same  with maybe just 2 items different and Lido lunch has a different Carvery Board but they still have the Peanut Butter Silk Pie 😁

Bon Voyage!! Wishing you a great cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Followed you round the world and will continue to follow on this journey.

I cant believe you are back on so soon.  How much could you have gotten done in the last month?… watered the plants, gifted numerous knitted items, bought more yarn and cleaned the house!  Anyway, wishing you safe and especially exciting times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thank you for taking us along!

I’m wondering what your “special souvenir” will be from this trip.

Probably the Effy charm we found in our cabin 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

@The-Inside-Cabin. Pete and Judy - what a great picture of the two of you! I've followed you on the world cruise the last few years and will definitely be checking this thread out daily. It's a wonderful itinerary. I'm thinking about it for 2025 or later. Meanwhile I'll be boarding the Westerdam, along with a friend, the day you return so leave her in good shape for us please. 

Karen

• Like 3