Balcony Decorations

Hi all,

Just wondering if any kind of decorations are permitted to be hung on the balcony railings?  We'll be on a cruise over Independence Day and would like to hang some appropriate banners on our railing.  I think I could use either zip ties or some suction cup holders for it.  Does RCI permit this?  Has anyone seen or done this?

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

The only time I've seen banners of any type on a balcony is during sail away years ago, in particular from Port Everglades, when they were part of the port webcam photo op.  And then they were handheld by passengers on the balcony and only during the pass by the camera.

Otherwise, no, they are not permitted outside of your stateroom on the balcony.

Also keep in mind the 4th of July is a specific US holiday and, other than with the possibility of some red white and blue iced cupcakes, I would not expect any recognition or celebration on board that day.  At least there never was in our July 4th sailings.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Also keep in mind the 4th of July is a specific US holiday and, other than with the possibility of some red white and blue iced cupcakes, I would not expect any recognition or celebration on board that day.  At least there never was in our July 4th sailings.

His ship (Quantum) is sailing from the US and going to US ports.

We had a celebration of the King's coronation on our TA (Cape Liberty to Southampton).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

We had a celebration of the King's coronation on our TA (Cape Liberty to Southampton).

We had a celebration on Super Bowl Sunday.  I'd say you can celebrate anything and everything you want.

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

"Guests may not leave items unattended on balconies, as the wind may cause items to fall overboard."

(https://www.royalcaribbean.com/guest-terms/guest-health-safety-and-conduct-policy/english/)

Exactly this ^   Have witnessed items blowing off balconies while at sea...and even in port (with the winds up).   It becomes sea trash, which is not what the sea needs.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Even with US ports of call they likely won't have any large celebration for the 4th on board. We have cruised twice over the 4th in recent years and nothing formally was done to recognize it on board. Keep in mind the likely international mix of passengers.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

5 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

How are they avoiding the PVSA rule?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, LEMJMcC said:

Hi all,

Just wondering if any kind of decorations are permitted to be hung on the balcony railings?  We'll be on a cruise over Independence Day and would like to hang some appropriate banners on our railing.  I think I could use either zip ties or some suction cup holders for it.  Does RCI permit this?  Has anyone seen or done this?

Thanks.

We always use zip ties to put a small American Flag on our balcony railing.  Been doing it for years and never have any issues.

Edited by karena1

We were parked next to another ship in port, and my husband noticed a whole row of balconies all flying a pirate flag -- he loved it and ordered similar flags from Amazon right away.  If they're attached with zip ties, I don't see how they could possibly fly away.  

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 5:02 PM, karena1 said:

We always use zip ties to put a small American Flag on our balcony railing.  Been doing it for years and never have any issues.

I'm just curious as to why...what's the reason to hang an American flag on a cruise that is (I assume) sailing to and from the US, full of American passengers? 

18 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We were parked next to another ship in port, and my husband noticed a whole row of balconies all flying a pirate flag -- he loved it and ordered similar flags from Amazon right away.  If they're attached with zip ties, I don't see how they could possibly fly away.  

Wind has the potential to do a lot of destruction. You think a piece of cloth and some zip ties are stronger?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I'm just curious as to why...what's the reason to hang an American flag on a cruise that is (I assume) sailing to and from the US, full of American passengers? 

Is your concern that it is an American flag and the ship is full of Americans? What is the reason that people decorated their cabin doors with all kinds of things that mean nothing to me? I don't care because it isn't my door.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Well, in our case, we want to celebrate Independence Day.  When we cruised over Christmas, we put up some decorations as well.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I wouldn't speak on behalf of the OP but perhaps the reason is patriotism 🙂 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The sea still does not care if you are a patriot or not if it drops into her waves.  

The OP asked if balcony decorations are permitted.  The simple answer is "No" as listed by RCI in their rules.  The reason being the risk of accidental trash being added to Mother Ocean.  

Thus, the OP received their answer.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Because my husband loves it.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2024 at 11:35 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

Even with US ports of call they likely won't have any large celebration for the 4th on board. We have cruised twice over the 4th in recent years and nothing formally was done to recognize it on board. Keep in mind the likely international mix of passengers.

Thats too bad did about 10 over the Holiday and was always pretty good Celebration onboard. Was better 3 Decades ago though, Cookout on the Pool Deck, Apple Pie- Hard Served Ice Cream also served in WJ and in resent yrs along American Menu in Main Dining, Patriotic songs, some decorations. Funny thing just few yrs ago did Thanksgiving those 2 ports one yr and the next, well almost all the stores were closed!  Forgot, one yr on 4th of July did get shoot a Shot Gun off the open Deck, how American!  .....well it was Skeet(Trap) Shooting back when they had that

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Thats too bad did about 10 over the Holiday and was always pretty good Celebration onboard. Was better 3 Decades ago though, Cookout on the Pool Deck, Apple Pie- Hard Served Ice Cream also served in WJ and in resent yrs along American Menu in Main Dining, Patriotic songs, some decorations. Funny thing just few yrs ago did Thanksgiving those 2 ports one yr and the next, well almost all the stores were closed!  Forgot, one yr on 4th of July did get shoot a Shot Gun off the open Deck, how American!  .....well it was Skeet(Trap) Shooting back when they had that

...Oops, the 2 Port stops on Thanksgiving were St Thomas and Puerto Rico