Where will NCL cut costs/raise revenue next?

With all the recent cost cutting and Harry stating there are no sacred cows I was wondering what folks think will be on the chopping block next?

Before some folks get bent out of shape this topic is not meant to hate on NCL. Just curious what people think. Serious and humorous answers welcome.

Here's one I hope they do not do. I know when I had to call NCL before our cruise last summer, I always understood the person I was talking with. If you read some other boards like Princess or Holland America, you will read several complaints about not being able to understand the customer service representatives as the service has been sent abroad in order to save money.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I believe that they are going to reinstate the evening turndown and lower the DSC's.  There's an outside chance that hashbrowns will return.

It isn't April 1st . . . 

• Haha 8

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, DorothyB said:

It isn't April 1st . . . 

Of course not.  12,345 posters on this forum alone have stated unequivocally that they will never set foot on another NCL ship because of the DSC increases, elimination of evening turndown and disappearance of hash browns (some say they won't "step foot" on an NCL ship, but that just sounds silly).  NCL pays keen attention to this and has already fired those responsible.  Once the lost passengers all return (along with the countless others who feel the same way but don't post here), NCL revenues will skyrocket and it will be happy days again!  Of course, since they can't sail at any higher capacities than they already are, fares will also skyrocket.  But, we'll have that fluffed pillow at nighty, night time.  So we have that going for us! 😎

Or, we could just quit whining and enjoy what we have today.

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, yakcruiser said:

With all the recent cost cutting and Harry stating there are no sacred cows I was wondering what folks think will be on the chopping block next? Before some folks get bent out of shape this topic is not meant to hate on NCL. Just curious what people think. Serious and humorous answers welcome.

Since you are talking about Harry and not David, Harry will strip down a few Regent ships, convert them to low-end NCL ships, and run them on 3-day/4-day cruises to the Bahamas. Move all ships overseas on more profitable routes rather than running cheap Caribbean cruises. 

• Like 1

Staff, it is far and away their largest variable expense. My guess is that it will be more at corporate but also extend to the ships. The interest rates on their debt isn't terrible but upcoming cuts might help too. 

• Like 2

I started this so I will throw in my two cents. I think they will eliminate one of the latitudes meals and instead of a free bag of laundry they will offer 15% off the new unlimited laundry package.

• Like 1

NCL will start a "Free At Sea Make Your Own Bed program"

Fountains will return to the main theater as the main show

Cocktail shrimp appetizer will be reduced to one per customer

Paper plates in the MDR and Chinete dinner plates in specialty and Haven restaurants

Coke products replaced with Shasta

Fish sticks night in the MDR

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

NCL will start a "Free At Sea Make Your Own Bed program"

Fountains will return to the main theater as the main show

Cocktail shrimp appetizer will be reduced to one per customer

Paper plates in the MDR and Chinete dinner plates in specialty and Haven restaurants

Coke products replaced with Shasta

Fish sticks night in the MDR

Fountains was Great! 

• Haha 7

It’s anyone’s guess but I’m sure the bean counters are hard at work looking at what else they can cut to save costs!

I think with their programs of double or triple points they  have elevated many to the point I would not be surprised if they overhauled latitude benefits

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, McFins said:

Aren’t you all afraid that you are giving NCL ideas?  😳😂🤣

Yes, that was why I was reluctant to write the post that I posted about sending customer service offshore.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Of course not.  12,345 posters on this forum alone have stated unequivocally that they will never set foot on another NCL ship because of the DSC increases, elimination of evening turndown and disappearance of hash browns (some say they won't "step foot" on an NCL ship, but that just sounds silly).  NCL pays keen attention to this and has already fired those responsible.  Once the lost passengers all return (along with the countless others who feel the same way but don't post here), NCL revenues will skyrocket and it will be happy days again!  Of course, since they can't sail at any higher capacities than they already are, fares will also skyrocket.  But, we'll have that fluffed pillow at nighty, night time.  So we have that going for us! 😎

Or, we could just quit whining and enjoy what we have today.

Amen to that.  The incessant whining is tiresome and makes me want to book another NCL cruise just to see how much more whining ensues.  If you don't want to cruise NCL anymore, no issue.  But, the constant barrage of whining about mainly silly things (hashborwns?  really?) just tires me out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Amen to that.  The incessant whining is tiresome and makes me want to book another NCL cruise just to see how much more whining ensues.  If you don't want to cruise NCL anymore, no issue.  But, the constant barrage of whining about mainly silly things (hashborwns?  really?) just tires me out.

This!  Our 14th NCL cruise is coming up in 16 days. Haven't cruised since January 2023 and that was a 12 day on the Getaway where we had a great time. I'm really curious to see what has changed, what is worse what is better. I've read a slew of reviews on the Gem, some horrible some great. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McFins said:

Aren’t you all afraid that you are giving NCL ideas?  😳😂🤣

Yes to this!  Let's please not give the bean counters at NCL any clues as to what to cut next!  🙂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

EXACTLY!!!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, lgdesign said:

Yes to this!  Let's please not give the bean counters at NCL any clues as to what to cut next!  🙂

Are we imagining a world where cruise line employees have no idea how to do their job so they turn to random strangers on an Internet forum to tell them what to do?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, njkate said:

It’s anyone’s guess but I’m sure the bean counters are hard at work looking at what else they can cut to save costs!

I think with their programs of double or triple points they  have elevated many to the point I would not be surprised if they overhauled latitude benefits

Maybe.

Our Escape cruise had only 5% of passengers at Platinum and above.

75% were on their first NCL cruise.

And from our discussion with fellow passengers, most of them were on their first cruise ever.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

They may take our lives, aye! But they'll never take our hash browns!

• Haha 7

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Are we imagining a world where cruise line employees have no idea how to do their job so they turn to random strangers on an Internet forum to tell them what to do?

Sadly... YES!!!!  Especially the lazier ones.  😉 

And no one said anything about "telling them what to do".  Just that they could mine the "wisdom" (and jokes) of the collective CC community for even more ideas of what to slash next.

Edited by lgdesign

NCL can go virtual realty cruising.  Put you up in one of their hotels give you a pair of virtual reality headwear.  Strap it on, and never leave your room for the length of the cruise.  Food ( set menu) is delivered daily to your hotel room. Turn down still once per night/day.  All shore excursions are done via the virtual reality headset.  No passports needed, no cruise ships needed.  One can still go outside and explore, but it will probably be in an industrial part of town

( just like many ports are now), so Im sure it would be a quick return to "virtual reality".  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5